SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

You know, I suspect I could pick nine people off this board and come up with a committee better suited to parse through the suggestions. 

Let's see:

jimdahl - chair

The Sicatoka - vice chair, because I'm good at many vices ;)

ericpnelson

Benny Baker

jdub27

bincitysioux

82SiouxFan

dagies

Hayduke

And I left off a whole lot of folks who would do very well on such a committee (Sioux-cia, Oxbow, Mafia, ... PCM ... ) 

Any of you guys actually from GF? :)

I'll note another issue that hasn't yet been discussed on this site:  women's sports.  It's going to be very important that the name work for both men's teams and women's teams, and my hunch is that there aren't a lot of women's voices around here.  So when you think about mascots, ponder whether they'll work well for women't sports.  I would broach that "Flickertails" might not be a popular choice among women, for example.

Stick the name Lady in front of the name and boom gender friendly.

They should have released a "Submitted List" showing all the names submitted, and then a "Moving Forward to Consideration" list with the nicknames that will be considered. Simple. No confusion.

Instead, they put out a "Considered" list and a "Not Considered" list with the same nicknames on both lists. You really have to question what is going on when they botch something so simple.

Maybe one more $80,000 consultant would have helped?
  • Upvote 1

If Flickertails somehow, someway was picked (which I know it was said we wouldn't, I personally witness that statement from President Kelley), it would be the equivalent of setting a large pile of money on fire.

Is Flickertails that bad? I know Kelley said he wouldn't go back to that name, but why not? Look at that list there are horrible names on it, making Flickertails sounding pretty good.  Also Flickertails is part of UND's history, just like Fighting Sioux, just like the geometric Indian logo, why make fun of our history because its not as cool as Fighting Sioux. 

They should have released a "Submitted List" showing all the names submitted, and then a "Moving Forward to Consideration" list with the nicknames that will be considered.  Simple.  No confusion.

Instead, they put out a "Considered" list and a "Not Considered" list with the same nicknames on both lists.  You really have to question what is going on when they botch something so simple.

Again you are submitting a thought and idea process that is back with logic and foresight...............you know none of that applies with the current process.

Having a little trouble getting over this suggestion of mine being on the "not considered" list.

Black Stripes - Red Sox, White Sox...how about the Black Stripes? Logo would be reminiscent of a censor bar used to block inappropriate images (hint hint!)

bastards!

You know, I suspect I could pick nine people off this board and come up with a committee better suited to parse through the suggestions. 

Let's see:

jimdahl - chair

The Sicatoka - vice chair, because I'm good at many vices ;)

ericpnelson

Benny Baker

jdub27

bincitysioux

82SiouxFan

dagies

Hayduke

And I left off a whole lot of folks who would do very well on such a committee (Sioux-cia, Oxbow, Mafia, ... PCM ... ) 

I'm willing but can we also release a list of the "outtakes"?   There's some gold in that "non-considered" list.  Especially if you have a bit of thick skin.

• Upvote 1

Is Flickertails that bad? I know Kelley said he wouldn't go back to that name, but why not? Look at that list there are horrible names on it, making Flickertails sounding pretty good.  Also Flickertails is part of UND's history, just like Fighting Sioux, just like the geometric Indian logo, why make fun of our history because its not as cool as Fighting Sioux. 

reasoning: 

Its 2010, the name just got retired in the first time.  Instead of what has happened since that date, Kelley could have came out and said we will go back to the Flickertails. 

In no way am I ripping Flickertails or the history behind the name for UND, but if the process leads to that name being picked... we could have saved a TON of trouble, money, heartache, etc. by doing it 5 years sooner.  Hence my statement of setting a large pile of cash on fire.

reasoning:

Its 2010, the name just got retired in the first time. Instead of what has happened since that date, Kelley could have came out and said we will go back to the Flickertails.

In no way am I ripping Flickertails or the history behind the name for UND, but if the process leads to that name being picked... we could have saved a TON of trouble, money, heartache, etc. by doing it 5 years sooner. Hence my statement of setting a large pile of cash on fire.

I gotcha.

I don't care if Flickertails is from the past. It is a f'ng gopher!

A+++++++. Stupid team name! Flickertails...bad!

What's with the 100 blank pages or 3 letters on a page? They count them pages as 2++ pages of considered names when there isn't that many paged with name? There is that many pages, but not pages of names!

This list of approved names is a joke.  Sure there are obviously ones on there that are just plain awfaul like "dirt", "cube", and "2%ers" that have zero chance of making the next cut.  But how is "Seminoles" on the approved list?  That is why this list of under consideration and not under consideration lists are complete crap. 

A+++++++. Stupid team name! Flickertails...bad!

What's with the 100 blank pages or 3 letters on a page? They count them pages as 2++ pages of considered names when there isn't that many paged with name? There is that many pages, but not pages of names!

I'm guessing they converted an Excel file to a pdf, and some of the longer rationales bled over and created weird page breaks.  There are occasional snippets of comments in there.

While Flickertails is on the 'under consideration' list, I'd be surprised if it makes the next round.  It's not going to have much national cachet.

That's already been done. UND submitted the chosen 3 into the list along with all of the public suggestions ;)

1. Sundogs

2. Spirit

3. Flames

There ya go. No offensive to anyone, unless you're a cat lover (1), encountered a ghost and been scared half to death (2), or scalded your hand on a hot stove or grill (3).

I'd love to hear people's top-five or top-ten lists.  If you're on the committee and you can only choose from the list of "under consideration" names, which names move on to the semi finals?  Remember that the formal scoring criteria are:

1. Be unique, recognizable, inspiring and distinctly UND’s

2. Promote a sense of pride, strength, fierceness, and passion

3. Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future.

4. Be a unifying and rallying symbol

5. Ease of Depicting/Personifying Physical Mascot

6. Cheer/Battle Cry Considerations: "Built-In" Cheer

7. Meaning of Nickname: Must be obvious and clear

8. Linguistic Considerations – Pronunciation:  must Be Easy To Pronounce

9. Linguistic Considerations – Likelihood of name being abridged resulting in different name or name similar to existing name:  Can't be easy to shorten into an informal name.