SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I see Kelly O'Keefe has a strong background in branding and it is great that he is a consultant but no one on the actual task force has any background in tis area. They didn't even think to pull someone from UND's marketing department. I remain skeptical.

I want a name and logo that won't become a laughingstock while realizing that this new name and logo will likely remain in the background for the next 30-40 years.

Understand your concern.  What I'm hoping is that this is a true consulting role.  So the committee members use this consultant for guidance and input on marketing possibilities of various ideas.  I'm not sure that a person needs to be part of that committee to provide that sort of guidance. And perhaps that's actually best for the process.

All of you who want inspiring and/or double meaning nicknames, remember who will have the final say in the nickname... Robert Kelly.

Let's give him at least a little credit for telling the anti-nickname zealots that he has no intention of trying to ban the Fighting Sioux name and logo from campus.  I think we should just wait and watch the process play out.

Hillsboro Burros

Are you trying to convince me that UND should follow the lead of Hillsboro?

Apparently a number of people here are on board with Nokota(s).  I'm not one of them and I've pointed out my main reason (in addition to not wanting a horse as our logo), but to each their own.

Regarding the name, i would prefer to use something that plays to North Dakota's history.. Cavalry, Scouts, Explorers.  Not a fan of Roughriders.  I went to RRHS.

If we are going for an animal Nokotas or Owls.

If going to the future.. Wildcatters for the oil/energy industry.

Wildcatters or Roughnecks

Apparently a number of people here are on board with Nokota(s).  I'm not one of them and I've pointed out my main reason (in addition to not wanting a horse as our logo), but to each their own.

We'll get you a speech pathologist

It's much better than "Yeti", but you're right.  To each their own.  

Say it 10 times fast? Never, unless it becomes an internet challenge.  However, I'll guesstimate 3/5 road announcers get tongue twisted saying it just once.

I don't think it's that difficult.  Also, announcers aren't going to say the whole name that many times during a broadcast.  They will usually say either the school name or the nickname, but not both.  They will also shorten it by dropping University of.  Nokotas isn't that much different than being called NoDaks, which is used some now.

I'm not jumping all in on Yeti, just thought we could do some cool things with it.  Let's try to have a little imagination.  A horse?! 

There's no Yeti in existence let alone in North Dakota, yet there are teams who use it as a nickname. The Nokota horse is our state horse and nobody has used it as a nickname. I guess a nickname means different things to different people but I think a wild horse is a moniker that can proudly represent an academic institution. A Yeti seems like more of a gimmick, even if it is a cool name.

There's no Yeti in existence let alone in North Dakota, yet there are teams who use it as a nickname. The Nokota horse is our state horse and nobody has used it as a nickname. I guess a nickname means different things to different people but I think a wild horse is a moniker that can proudly represent an academic institution. A Yeti seems like more of a gimmick, even if it is a cool name.

I agree it's gimmicky, that's why I said UND could do cool things with it but I'm not sold on it.  Drop the Yeti, it was more just something fun to talk about.  Nokota is a horse.  It's boring.

Someone had mentioned wolves earlier.  Wolves by itself is a bit plain, but how about Prairie Wolves?  It's another name for coyotes (yes, USD), but I see it as a better name than Coyotes.

Wind the clock back 85 years and you would probably think the Fighting Sioux is stupid because it sounds like "Sue." The reviews on this website were positive. 

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/98241-north-dakota-rebrand-update-jersey-mock-ups/

as much as i think the Fighting Norse would be awesome if the Nokotas wins out i would totally fine with that...that logo that guy came up with on that link is pretty sweet....just have ben brien tweak it a little bit

• Upvote 1