SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

And third, having a school with no name for their athletic teams is unheard of. Tell me another school that does this? Even if the settlement didn't stipulate that we didn't have to select a new name, thier is no way UND would not choose a new one.

Actually, it's no longer unprecedented. Long Beach State, while still the 49'ers, is distancing itself from its nickname - check out the logos and wordmarks - nothing 49 or 49'er in sight.

http://collegead.org/long-beach-state-rebranding/

Long Beach State has put "The Beach" on the basketball jerseys, and their baseball jerseys now say "Dirtbags".

They go by all three names: http://www.longbeachstate.com/trads/traditions.html

One could easily say they are rebranding, taking on a new moniker and logo, to "The Beach".

Would not North Dakota be a new name and ND a new logo? All the NCAA cares about is that we are no longer The Fighting Sioux or using the logo officially. 

We are the University of North Dakota, a new name would not be North Dakota. A new name would be University of North Dakota (enter new name here). UND can keep the interlocking ND as a new logo but they must have a new name whether its Green and White or whatever, but under that settlement there will be a name after the words University of North Dakota.

Long Beach State has put "The Beach" on the basketball jerseys, and their baseball jerseys now say "Dirtbags".

They go by all three names: http://www.longbeachstate.com/trads/traditions.html

One could easily say they are rebranding, taking on a new moniker and logo, to "The Beach".

I would love to see UND put Dakota on their basketball jerseys, kinda like South Carolina does to its football uniforms. Its not like the NCAA can take Dakota away from us. 

Actually, it's no longer unprecedented. Long Beach State, while still the 49'ers, is distancing itself from its nickname - check out the logos and wordmarks - nothing 49 or 49'er in sight.

http://collegead.org/long-beach-state-rebranding/

UND did that when they were the Flickertails. There was no jersey with the word Flickertail and students still referred the school as Nodaks.

Siouxperfan7,

The 80+ years of history will soon be forgotten when no one can speak of it on campus and the remaining non-conformists die out.  I was at a UND basketball game last year and yelled out "Go Sioux" and the crowd around me looked at me with disbelief - I'm sure they didn't want to discomfort Robert and Marcia who attended the game in a pretty white and green outfits to show team support.  Its all part of the marketing plan to rebrand the University's sports teams and I for one don't agree with having to pick another name for the team.  North Dakota fits fine and really represents the state the best way possible.

• Upvote 1

Siouxperfan7,

The 80+ years of history will soon be forgotten when no one can speak of it on campus and the remaining non-conformists die out. I was at a UND basketball game last year and yelled out "Go Sioux" and the crowd around me looked at me with disbelief - I'm sure they didn't want to discomfort Robert and Marcia who attended the game in a pretty white and green outfits to show team support. Its all part of the marketing plan to rebrand the University's sports teams and I for one don't agree with having to pick another name for the team. North Dakota fits fine and really represents the state the best way possible.

I heard people at the football game yell Sioux. Good for them but I didn't because they aren't the Sioux anymore even though I had a Sioux cap on. I will be fine with a new name because it doesn't matter the first name will always be the same. UND!!!

Siouxperfan7,

The 80+ years of history will soon be forgotten when no one can speak of it on campus and the remaining non-conformists die out.  I was at a UND basketball game last year and yelled out "Go Sioux" and the crowd around me looked at me with disbelief - I'm sure they didn't want to discomfort Robert and Marcia who attended the game in a pretty white and green outfits to show team support.  Its all part of the marketing plan to rebrand the University's sports teams and I for one don't agree with having to pick another name for the team.  North Dakota fits fine and really represents the state the best way possible.

Taking this with a grain of salt considering the game was at the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center and there are multiple banners with variations of the Sioux logo that are up in the rafters.

I heard people at the football game yell Sioux. Good for them but I didn't because they aren't the Sioux anymore even though I had a Sioux cap on. I will be fine with a new name because it doesn't matter the first name will always be the same. UND!!!

So it may turn into something similar to Auburn.  They're officially known as the "Tigers", but routinely use the term "War Eagle" in cheers and when they greet each other. 

We could be called the UND "Whatever" and still use the term "Fighting Sioux" or "Sioux" in an unofficial or informal capacity. ;)

• Upvote 2

Well, sports logos, jersey design, and name-branding weren't quite as hip then as they are today..

I am sure UND's current name of nothing and logo are just as hip as those Flickertails were. UND can't be making much or any money on the current UND gear.

Darrell, why so testy? When you state specifically that North Dakota will not be an acceptable name, I want to know how you come to this conclusion - is it because you are a lawyer or because you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Because I read it (with the basic knowledge of reading I got in elementary school) in the settlement that I posted.

I'm not darrel's defender, nor do I have "JD" behind my name on a business card, nor do I have a recent receipt from a HIEx; however, ...

The longer UND goes without a new official moniker the more likely, in my mind, it is that the NCAA (those wonderful and always completely rational and reasonable folks) declares that UND is back on "the list" because they are de facto allowing for and fostering an environment for perpetuation of the old moniker.*

Crazy? Outlandish? Arbitrary and capricious? Yes, yes, and yes ... but that's how we got HERE

*I'm not alone in this concern. Search around this website and you'll find other posts by other folks. 

• Upvote 2

Regardless of the agreement, UND needs a new name for MARKETING.  Those North Dakota Proud items do NOT sell and they do not incite young people's interest in UND.  The old folks aren't the target market, it's the high school and college students.  As anyone here can attest, a school logo/nickname can create quite the connection with fans and alumni.  "North Dakota" isn't going to get it done.

• Upvote 1