SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

How about Tribe

Nothing related to Native Americans can be used, and no imagery or logos related to Native Americans can be used. If you can find a use of Tribe that is not related to Native Americans, it might be a possibility. But because of the history of the Fighting Sioux nickname, I would say that it is very unlikely that something like Tribe would be chosen.

Please don't give people ideas; the Heraldo seems almost determined to make "Green and White" the inevitable choice. That would irritate me more than most anything else.

UND had green and white cheers back in the 90's (green and white, fight, fight, fight), it is the school colors but I can't see them using that a name. I hate to say it (GFC grad) but Roughriders may be the popular choice of the state (mainly the SBoHE).

• Upvote 1

William and Mary are the tribe, and while the NCAA let them keep the nickname, they made William and Marry get rid of the feathers hanging off of their "WM" logo. The feathers were deemed to be Indian related.

I believe students are also required to take a diversity class ensuring that they are aware that 'tribe' in no way insinuates anything related to American Indians. I have to research that last statement though.

http://www.wm.edu/about/mascot/background/faqs/index.php

UND had green and white cheers back in the 90's (green and white, fight, fight, fight), it is the school colors but I can't see them using that a name. I hate to say it (GFC grad) but Roughriders may be the popular choice of the state (mainly the SBoHE).

I would have no problem with Roughriders. And using Green and White in cheers is okay; I just don't want it as an official nickname. And call me paranoid, but it sounds like the perfect choice of the PC zealots.

William and Mary are the tribe, and while the NCAA let them keep the nickname, they made William and Marry get rid of the feathers hanging off of their "WM" logo. The feathers were deemed to be Indian related.

Then we should call ourselves the Chiefs and use the Charlestown Chiefs logo from Slap Shot with our colors.

The man who led the Rough Riders:

"I have always said I would not have been President had it not been for my experience in North Dakota."

The state nickname?

“Roughrider State” - This name originated in a state-supported tourism promotion of the 1960s and 70s. It refers to the First U.S. Volunteer Cavalry which Theodore Roosevelt organized to fight in the Spanish-American War. In fact, the "Roughriders," which included several North Dakota cowboys, fought dismounted in Cuba due to logistical problems. In both 1971 (House Bill No. {H.B. No.} 1383) and 1973 (G.B. No. 1443) the Legislative Assembly defeated bills intended to change the words Peace Garden State on state license plates to Roughrider Country.

The man who led the Rough Riders:

"I have always said I would not have been President had it not been for my experience in North Dakota."

The state nickname?

“Roughrider State” - This name originated in a state-supported tourism promotion of the 1960s and 70s. It refers to the First U.S. Volunteer Cavalry which Theodore Roosevelt organized to fight in the Spanish-American War. In fact, the "Roughriders," which included several North Dakota cowboys, fought dismounted in Cuba due to logistical problems. In both 1971 (House Bill No. {H.B. No.} 1383) and 1973 (G.B. No. 1443) the Legislative Assembly defeated bills intended to change the words Peace Garden State on state license plates to Roughrider Country.

I see no relevance to ND in there. ???

Red River HS has had that name along time - I'd say let them vote to see if they mind sharing

I am sure there are other schools that have the same name for a college and HS. West and Wilder Elementary school was the Warriors, so was Valley Jr High, should the schools have fought to see what one school can have the nickname? I would rather UND be the Rough Riders than being known as a color. (And no the no-nickname choice is not an option)