SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

How would the Flames be with the eternal flame already part of UND's whatever you want to call it?

Personally I don't like the name Flames (rivals will be calling UND the Flamers, Flameouts, etc. within minutes), but I've had a feeling that'll probably be the way UND admin chooses to go (due to the eternal flame thingy and the flame in the UND logo).

Personally I don't like the name Flames (rivals will be calling UND the Flamers, Flameouts, etc. within minutes), but I've had a feeling that'll probably be the way UND admin chooses to go (due to the eternal flame thingy and the flame in the UND logo).

I don't think it would even take minutes. How about adding Prairie to Wildfire? Wildfires strike fear into people really quick.

I don't think it would even take minutes. How about adding Prairie to Wildfire? Wildfires strike fear into people really quick.

Wildfires (the name & logo) could be cool, certainly better than Flames IMO, and they would still relate to the flames UND already has.

The name Spitfires hit me yesterday, but when I looked it up, the Windsor hockey team is using that name.

there are very few nicknames that will be unique. Liberty Flames, Saskatchewan Roughriders, Windsor Spitfires...

at least its not another (feathered) bird

Cavalry or Nokotas would be unique

there are very few nicknames that will be unique. Liberty Flames, Saskatchewan Roughriders, Windsor Spitfires...

at least its not another (feathered) bird

Cavalry or Nokotas would be unique

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nokota one of the names the tribes identify themselves by? I attended a presentation to UND's student government a few years back that had representation from both anti-nickname tribal representatives and pro-nickname tribal representatives. I seem to remember the anti-nickname speaker calling herself and her people the Lakota/Nokota tribe and that Sioux was a derogatory term meaning "snake in the grass". I could be totally off base on that as it was a few years ago, but wouldn't that disqualify Nokotas as an option?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nokota one of the names the tribes identify themselves by? I attended a presentation to UND's student government a few years back that had representation from both anti-nickname tribal representatives and pro-nickname tribal representatives. I seem to remember the anti-nickname speaker calling herself and her people the Lakota/Nokota tribe and that Sioux was a derogatory term meaning "snake in the grass". I could be totally off base on that as it was a few years ago, but wouldn't that disqualify Nokotas as an option?

Nakota is a tribe.

Nokota is a horse.

As bin said, Nakota is a tribe. So are Dakota and Lakota. Nokota is a wild horse, http://www.nokotahorse.org/cms/.

I seriously can't believe all the talk about rhyming state name and school name. The North Dakota Nokota. You gotta be kidding me.

yeah, i thought that at first too. but the Hillsboro high school team is the Burros and Hillsboro Burros seems to roll off the tongue without a problem.

It is quite early to be talking about a new nickname, given the fact that we legally cannot have one for another 3 years, and also I'm confident that the likes of Reed Soderstrom, Sean Johnson (the bad one, not the good one), and Frank Burgraaf will likely throw a wrench into the process at some point.

But looking to the future, here are my favorites in order amongst the many that have been put forward:

Reapers

Fighting Saints

Cavalry

Nokotas

The biggest problem I have with Cavalry is that we certainly be known as "The Cavs"..................

Nokotas is an intriguing and unique name, but I fear the logo would end up looking something like this, only with a green hue to it:

Denver%20Broncos%20logo.jpg