SiouxSports.com Forum

Construction Near the Alerus

siouxfan68

I've long wished for a "half diamond" underpass interchange at 17th Ave S:

- access onto southbound I-29

- access from northbound I-29 to 17th Ave (Alerus)

With that, folks coming/going to Alerus from the north would use Demers and 42nd and folks coming from the south would use the new interchange.

But that won't be it.

Does anyone know what is going to be built on the south end of Alerus lot? It also appears that another area a couple of blocks further south has been marked for construction.

Just a guess, but maybe another parking lot for the first one?

EDIT: By the way, whatever happened to the City Beat blog?

Wow, I hope your kidding since people in Grand Forks know first hand how bad flooding can be.

Unless Fargo gets a diversion (by that time the city would have been flooded a million times) or a giant flood wall (which won't happen) it may be a reality. People here are tired of sandbagging every damn year, and that river seems to get higher and higher.

Unless Fargo gets a diversion (by that time the city would have been flooded a million times) or a giant flood wall (which won't happen) it may be a reality. People here are tired of sandbagging every damn year, and that river seems to get higher and higher.

I agree, Fargo needs to do something about the flooding but for you to take a cheap shot about storing their sandbags is a real !@#!$ remark.

• Downvote 1

I agree, Fargo needs to do something about the flooding but for you to take a cheap shot about storing their sandbags is a real !@#!$ remark.

darrell is a resident of Fargo who fights the flood year in and year out. I'm pretty sure as a resident who has put his time in fighting the flood his comment was not out of line. I think you need to chill out. You realize you are upset about him making a comment about "their sandbags" and not any form of flooding that has happened in his own town. :huh:

• Upvote 1

darrell is a resident of Fargo who fights the flood year in and year out. I'm pretty sure as a resident who has put his time in fighting the flood his comment was not out of line. I think you need to chill out. You realize you are upset about him making a comment about "their sandbags" and not any form of flooding that has happened in his own town. :huh:

Homer,

Fyi- I was born and raised in Fargo and still have family living there. Every year when the water rises my family fights the flood just like, in your words, Darrel fights the flood. Your right I do need to chill out, but if you saw a guy (Darrell) put a laughing smiley face behind a comment about sandbags what would you do if you had family living there?

Holy crap!!! It was a joke. Take a pill. :angry:

So, your comment was intended to be a joke, that's why I was asking if you were serious. I hope you don't live by the river or have friends living by the river the next time you make a "joke" about sandbags.

So, your comment was intended to be a joke, that's why I was asking if you were serious. I hope you don't live by the river or have friends living by the river the next time you make a "joke" about sandbags.

I live 6 blocks from the river. I was a resident of Grand Forks before 1999 so I lost a lot of things in the flood of 1997. Yes I am tired of this flooding but if you are so wound up that you can't take a simple joke about sandbags then you have major issues that need counciling. I did not make a joke about people's houses going under; I did not make fun of someone's city getting flooded. I made fun of filling an empty arena with sandbags belonging to Grand Forks' rival city. But Fargo does need a place to store sandbags because of the political crap circling around a diversion, that IMO won't take place because every farmer and every little townsperson is so dead set against it.

I read the comment as a joke about the Alerus Center being empty so much of the time that use as a storage building would be good revenue. I thought that it was more of a funny shot at Grand Forks than a shot at Fargo. For flooding with all the flooding along the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers that will also need money Fargo should be very concerned.

I live 6 blocks from the river. I was a resident of Grand Forks before 1999 so I lost a lot of things in the flood of 1997. Yes I am tired of this flooding but if you are so wound up that you can't take a simple joke about sandbags then you have major issues that need counciling. I did not make a joke about people's houses going under; I did not make fun of someone's city getting flooded. I made fun of filling an empty arena with sandbags belonging to Grand Forks' rival city. But Fargo does need a place to store sandbags because of the political crap circling around a diversion, that IMO won't take place because every farmer and every little townsperson is so dead set against it.

Relax Darell, we just have a different opinion here. I think its inappropriate to make a joke about sandbags ( which is associated to a flood) and you think its funny to make jokes about the subject. As a previous Fargo resident and have family members still living there and you living six blocks from the river I hope you or my family never have to use these sandbags you joke about, regardless if they are stored in Fargo or Grand Forks. Like I said in a previous post I agree with you that Fargo needs to do something about protecting the city and its residents.

• 2 months later...
Dakota Commercial and Development has received approval from the city to build a three-floor, 35-unit apartment complex near its existing apartments in an area east of South 42nd Street. Ritterman said the company is also working on another potential project nearby

I am starting to wonder how many apartment buildings Grand Forks can realistically support...