SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

I'm confused, how can NDSU only have 3 games scheduled for 2014? I would assume they have the usual conference games as well. Unless, of course the Mo Valley kicks them out for that offensive moniker. :lol:

I don't think the MVC has set their schedules that far in advance, plus USD is now a conference member so we only have two games scheduled(Montana at home and Iowa State on the road). That said I'd look for NDSU-UND to start in 2015.

I don't think the MVC has set their schedules that far in advance, plus USD is now a conference member so we only have two games scheduled(Montana at home and Iowa State on the road). That said I'd look for NDSU-UND to start in 2015.

Actually that USD game may be a non-conference game. Just like our game next year against Montana is a non-conference game. If the MVFC schedule isn't out most likely that USD game is NOT a conference game.

• 4 weeks later...

Disclaimer: I am a Bison fan and am not attempting to troll (at least not this thread)

I am serious when I say that I don't see an upside for NDSU playing UND. Yes, it is/was a great rivalry, one of the best in college sports but it hasn't been one in quite a few years now if we are ALL being honest with each other.

From NDSU's perspective we typically sell out almost every game at home as is. Bringing in UND is not going to bring more fans (especially NDSU fans) to the table as there just isn't enough empty seats in the dome for this to happen. If anything it will mean LESS Bison fans and more UND fans. In a home field that is NOT the situation you want to put your team in.

Second, it will absolutely help attendance at the Alerus Center though, it will draw MANY more fans than has been typical as of late. Great for UND, not a plus for NDSU. It means another series of games that we have to squeeze into an already tight schedule and may cost us a chance (some years) to play FBS teams.

Hypothetically, let's say the game was played this year (2012) as the first game of the year. NDSU would be (as reigning champions) expected to win this game. They would be the favorites in the eyes of any outside observer. If NDSU does win, it's a meaningless win... we were supposed to, but if NDSU loses (which happens in rivalry games.... the best teams don't always win) it could be a devastating loss to the program that they may not recover from that year. Again... Lose-Lose if you are NDSU.

From UND's perspective, it is all "Win-Win" however.

1. More local fans at an away game

2. Sell-out crowd at home

3. As long as you can make it a game, it will look good once selection time for playoffs roll around.

Disclaimer: I am a Bison fan and am not attempting to troll (at least not this thread)

I am serious when I say that I don't see an upside for NDSU playing UND. Yes, it is/was a great rivalry, one of the best in college sports but it hasn't been one in quite a few years now if we are ALL being honest with each other.

From NDSU's perspective we typically sell out almost every game at home as is. Bringing in UND is not going to bring more fans (especially NDSU fans) to the table as there just isn't enough empty seats in the dome for this to happen. If anything it will mean LESS Bison fans and more UND fans. In a home field that is NOT the situation you want to put your team in.

Yet another Moo U fan who doesn't understand the value of tv marketing. I guess it's understandable, as the bizun have never had much of a following on tv. Based on your attitude towards the rivalry, I'm gonna guess you're around 19 and didn't grow up in the RRV.

• Upvote 1

Yet another Moo U fan who doesn't understand the value of tv marketing. I guess it's understandable, as the bizun have never had much of a following on tv. Based on your attitude towards the rivalry, I'm gonna guess you're around 19 and didn't grow up in the RRV.

That's the problem with a lot of the NDSU fans, students in particular. They were in elementary school when this game was played last. They really have no idea of how great of a game this was year after year. To them playing UNI and SDSU are more important because the are familiar. All of us who grew up seeing this rivarly know how bif this game was for BOTH schools. The "They need this game more than we do" attitude is pathetic. Get off your high horse and come out of the clouds. I have a feeling reality will hit NDSU fans when UND has success in FCS and in the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1

As has been explained many times, when NDSU joins the rest of the sports world by figuring out dynamic pricing, it may not bring more fans but will absolutely raise more revenue which helps soften the blow of the possible loss of an FBS game. You can't tell me that there people would refuse to go because ticket prices are an extra $10 for that game (minimum), which would raise an extra $150,000 without doing a thing (19,000 tickets less 4,000 student tickets).

Hypothetically, let's say the game was played this year (2012) as the first game of the year. NDSU would be (as reigning champions) expected to win this game. They would be the favorites in the eyes of any outside observer. If NDSU does win, it's a meaningless win... we were supposed to, but if NDSU loses (which happens in rivalry games.... the best teams don't always win) it could be a devastating loss to the program that they may not recover from that year. Again... Lose-Lose if you are NDSU.

NDSU runs the same risk by brining in cream puffs to start their season. While not a rivalry game, anything can happen. But then again you also state that UND/NDSU was a rival game but hasn't been one in quite a few years, so I guess you cancelled your own argument on that.

I can never figure out the logic of NDSU fans. On one hand, they claim they are light years ahead of UND and the game wouldn't be close (much like the cream puffs NDSU brings in to start each season). On the other hand they say that anything can happen and there is just that tiny possibility they could lose (which I don't hear about the cream puffs NDSU brings in).

Is it just me or do certain responses from Bison fans seem rather repetitive. Like it is the same person writing in all the time just using different names. The theory they keep repeating is never supported by facts. It is just hatred being spewed and no common sense. I think they are just talking to themselves and just trying to convince themselves that they are right. They just don't get the BIG picture.

Is it just me or do certain responses from Bison fans seem rather repetitive. Like it is the same person writing in all the time just using different names. The theory they keep repeating is never supported by facts. It is just hatred being spewed and no common sense. I think they are just talking to themselves and just trying to convince themselves that they are right. They just don't get the BIG picture.

It's the Kolpack Kool-Aid :glare:

Second, it will absolutely help attendance at the Alerus Center though, it will draw MANY more fans than has been typical as of late. Great for UND, not a plus for NDSU. It means another series of games that we have to squeeze into an already tight schedule and may cost us a chance (some years) to play FBS teams.

3. As long as you can make it a game, it will look good once selection time for playoffs roll around.

First of all you are correct, and you are incorrect...let's break it down.

UND game won't bring in more fans to the Fargodome...That is correct UND will be like SDSU and UNI in attendance. It will be maxed out. As for the Alerus Center UND's attendance has been very poor during transition but that will change because of the BSC. When you play 3 non DI teams and have no shot at playoffs plus a below average team (3-8 in 2010) your attendance will suffer. UND will max out if they hosted NDSU but that should be expected and it should be a plus for UND as its OUR home, it shouldn't be an advantage for NDSU. Is the UNI Dome an advantage for NDSU? No.

Playing UND costs NDSU a chance at a FBS game....First that may be correct. You (and UND) has 3 OOC games to fill ideally you want 1 FBS and 2 at home, well UND is willing to have 2 on the road in 2015 (Wyoming, and NDSU) and have 1 OOC home game (ideally). Is NDSU scared to have 5 home games? 4 MVFC and 1 OOC game if they play at UND, and at FBS team in 2017. Are they that hurtful for money they can't go one year without the manditory 6 home games? This from fans that are ready to pack their bags for the FBS which will cost NDSU almost double their budget plus there is no new stadium in the works or even talked about. NDSU would be the next Idaho with the Kibbie Dome. How much do you think it will cost to get FBS teams to Fargo?

If NDSU wins its a meaningless win. This is the most laughable statement on your whole post. Meaningless? We are a DI counter, a ranked team. Sorry we don't matchup with the bottom of the FCS like Lafayette, and St. Francis. We are tougher than them, we beat 2 ranked teams last year, so your SOS would be better, and it counts as a DI win which you do need to reach the playoffs. We are not Arkansas-Monticello or Moorhead State. We are a DI team. We have the same goals as you to get as many DI wins as possible to make the playoffs. You guys are the defending National Champions, we are co-champs of the Great West Football Conference, your recruiting is better than ours, you have made the playoffs in back to back years, you are ranked #1...and you and most Bison fans are worried that we may beat you. Wow!! Thanks for the compliment. I guess looking back at history of our "rival" proves there are some things that cannot be ignored. That no matter what level you get to there is that chance the little guy may beat you (1993!!). I guess GT has seen his basketball and volleyball teams fall to little ol' UND of the GWC this past season and he is a little worried what would happen if his #1 sport, the big money maker falls as well. Just my 2 cents.

It's Bville collective thinking. A majority of them spout the same things over and over again. Much of Bville is a football only crowd just like the hockey only crowd that exists on this board and at UND.

As UNDBIZ and jdub point out, there are 2 very important wins for NDSU in getting this game started again. One is the increased revenue available for a premium game. Most college programs already do this and bring in hundreds of thousands of extra dollars without any extra cost. The fact that UND would be coming without any cost is additional money to the bottom line for NDSU. In other posts I have pointed out how NDSU could actually make more money with a home and home with UND versus 2 home games with cream puffs that cost a lot to bring in from across the country.

The even bigger win is the public relations. A UND-NDSU football game gets the attention of the vast majority of people in North Dakota. No other event in the state garners that kind of attention. Most TVs in the state would be tuned to a UND-NDSU game. This would be much bigger PR in North Dakota and in the the adjoining areas of surrounding states than winning the National Championship. It is hard to imagine that people don't recognize the possibilities of this game.

It's Bville collective thinking. A majority of them spout the same things over and over again. Much of Bville is a football only crowd just like the hockey only crowd that exists on this board and at UND.

Bisonville has so many UND threads over there that sometimes you think they are board with NDSU sports that there is nothing to talk about but UND.

As UNDBIZ and jdub point out, there are 2 very important wins for NDSU in getting this game started again. One is the increased revenue available for a premium game. Most college programs already do this and bring in hundreds of thousands of extra dollars without any extra cost. The fact that UND would be coming without any cost is additional money to the bottom line for NDSU. In other posts I have pointed out how NDSU could actually make more money with a home and home with UND versus 2 home games with cream puffs that cost a lot to bring in from across the country.

The even bigger win is the public relations. A UND-NDSU football game gets the attention of the vast majority of people in North Dakota. No other event in the state garners that kind of attention. Most TVs in the state would be tuned to a UND-NDSU game. This would be much bigger PR in North Dakota and in the the adjoining areas of surrounding states than winning the National Championship. It is hard to imagine that people don't recognize the possibilities of this game.

They don't care about money, they don't care about tv...its all about losing to UND the risk is too great in their eyes. They want the Wagners and St. Francis of the FCS to come to Fargo where the game is over after the first quarter they don't want UND to come in and beat them 34-13 like in 1994.

• Upvote 1

Respectfully disagree. Winning that National Championship did wonders, Season ticket sales have went wayy up from what we are hearing. I'd imagine that the National Title has something to do with that. NDSU played football on ESPN 2, and in North Dakota, that is still a cool thing aroudn here. Would more TV's be tuned to the NDSU/UND game? I'd imagine so, but if NDSU won that game, it would not get the same accolades(sp?) that it did for winning the National Title.

Accept the fact that playing the game benefits UND significantly more than it benefits NDSU. That is just how it is right now.

They don't care about money, they don't care about tv...its all about losing to UND the risk is too great in their eyes. They want the Wagners and St. Francis of the FCS to come to Fargo where the game is over after the first quarter they don't want UND to come in and beat them 34-13 like in 1994.

Or we'd rather schedule home-home's with Montana, Montana State, and other teams that have actually proven something at this level.

Accept the fact that playing the game benefits UND significantly more than it benefits NDSU. That is just how it is right now.

Key part of that phrase is right now, but the teams aren't playing right now. 3 years is a long ways away.

Respectfully disagree. Winning that National Championship did wonders, Season ticket sales have went wayy up from what we are hearing. I'd imagine that the National Title has something to do with that. NDSU played football on ESPN 2, and in North Dakota, that is still a cool thing aroudn here. Would more TV's be tuned to the NDSU/UND game? I'd imagine so, but if NDSU won that game, it would not get the same accolades(sp?) that it did for winning the National Title.

Or we'd rather schedule home-home's with Montana, Montana State, and other teams that have actually proven something at this level.

You obviously are too young to remember the state when the rivalry was at its peak. All you have to do is look at some of the other big in-state rivals to see what would happen in North Dakota. The National title was a big deal. But both schools won National titles in the past, and the rivalry game was still the biggest event in the state. It would be again if the game were played.

I attended Sioux - Bison games of all kinds for 35+ years and played in 3 of them. They are the most intense / exciting games you will ever see. There is so much on the line for both teams regarding bragging rights and recruiting advantages.

I still say we shouldn't beg that cow college for anything. If they don't want to play us and think they are just doing us a favor they can stuff it. We will find other games.

• Upvote 1

Thats why it took 11 years to do that while in the meantime you played powerhouses in Morgan State, Wagner, St. Francis, and Lafayette.

• Upvote 2

Let's hear it. How does the game benefit UND significantly more than NDSU?

Financially? No. NDSU's larger stadium would provide a financial windfall for premium-priced tickets.

Scheduling? No. Both schools have the same number of conference games predetermined for the next 4 years.

So you are willing to schedule home-and-home agreements with traditionally strong and nationally ranked football programs who are located 1,000 miles away from Fargo, but not with traditionally strong and nationally ranked football programs that are located 70 miles from Fargo? :ohmy:

Reasoning such as this is why I am not in favor of the game. Why associate ourselves with those who would come up with an ideology like this?

• Upvote 1

Let's hear it. How does the game benefit UND significantly more than NDSU?

Financially? No. NDSU's larger stadium would provide a financial windfall for premium-priced tickets.

Scheduling? No. Both schools have the same number of conference games predetermined for the next 4 years.

So you are willing to schedule home-and-home agreements with traditionally strong and nationally ranked football programs who are located 1,000 miles away from Fargo, but not with traditionally strong and nationally ranked football programs that are located 70 miles from Fargo? :ohmy:

Reasoning such as this is why I am not in favor of the game. Why associate ourselves with those who would come up with an ideology like this?

This is why I would rather see UND play NDSU one year, USD the next, and SDSU after that. Just rotate every year.

On a related note, to me it just a tad bit ironic that most of Bisonville ridicules UND for being in the "far-flung" Big Sky conference because travel will be so difficult for fans. At the same time they praise the MVFC and the Summit League because their fans can so easily make the drive to Vermillion, SD; Macomb, IL; and Omaha, NE. They act as if the navigation systems in their cars would go haywire if they were forced to make that 1 hour drive North on a regular basis. Sure seemed like alot of Bison fans found their way GF for volleyball and basketball games last season....................but it would just be too much of a hassle to get there for a football game.................. :silly:

• Upvote 1

On a related note, to me it just a tad bit ironic that most of Bisonville ridicules UND for being in the "far-flung" Big Sky conference because travel will be so difficult for fans. At the same time they praise the MVFC and the Summit League because their fans can so easily make the drive to Vermillion, SD; Macomb, IL; and Omaha, NE. They act as if the navigation systems in their cars would go haywire if they were forced to make that 1 hour drive North on a regular basis. Sure seemed like alot of Bison fans found their way GF for volleyball and basketball games last season....................but it would just be too much of a hassle to get there for a football game.................. :silly:

You know what they say..."Excuses are like a**holes, everybody has one".