SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Can we please stop with the demeaning of our football division. Who cares what it is called "in name"? The FCS is 100+ peer institutions fighting for a championship just like NCAA Division 1 hockey. All the people who are trying to cut down NDSU's accomplishment by sayings it's not at the highest level of competition are simultaneously cutting away at our own program's history. Every time you say that it doesn't matter it erodes the meaning of some of the best accomplishments in UND history, our football national title and our women's basketball titles are some of the crowning moments of the entire history of athletics at UND. OUR FANBASE IS DEMEANING OUR OWN ATHLETES AND THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENTS! PLEASE STOP!

If an FCS championship is practically worthless, then what does that do to our D2 trophy from 2001? We all know we'd love to win a Natty title, so let's not bash FCS. As others have said, it's where we play.

This^^^^^^^^^!

• Upvote 1

It's human nature to engage in sour grapes rationalization when things don't go the way you wish they would. But this is betting a bit ridiculous. NDSU has a great football program...denying that does not help UND in any way.

I've never understood why a portion of the hockey crowd gets so bent out of shape over names, monikers, and labels.

The championship that Fargo U. won is the highest one that the NCAA recognizes in football. Seems like a good goal and an impressive accomplishment.

In my eyes, it was even more impressive than that thrilling come from behind win the Sioux had last night against something called Holy Cross.

To say FCS football is the highest level of football in the NCAA is kind of an understatement. I don't see a big number of players from NDSU going to the NFL like the players from 'Bama. Im not trying to diminish our FB program but we will never be at that top FBS level. I cant wait for our FB team to get to the same level of performance as NDSU because then they will have nothing better than us. We will always be better at hockey than NDSU while playing at a level that trains almost every UND hockey graduate for some level of professional play. We are truely at the top of the hockey world looking at our rosters full of NHL draft picks. Even though hockey is not as popular as FB in the USA, I would compare D1 hockey and FCS football to be on an equal level of popularity.

As soon as we beat NDSU in fooball we will have a "Vikings/Packers" argument. These delirious Bison fans don't understand that one day UND will be better than NDSU at football and we will win a natty eventually. Time just cant move fast enough!

To say FCS football is the highest level of football in the NCAA is kind of an understatement. I don't see a big number of players from NDSU going to the NFL like the players from 'Bama. Im not trying to diminish our FB program but we will never be at that top FBS level. I cant wait for our FB team to get to the same level of performance as NDSU because then they will have nothing better than us. We will always be better at hockey than NDSU while playing at a level that trains almost every UND hockey graduate for some level of professional play. We are truely at the top of the hockey world looking at our rosters full of NHL draft picks. Even though hockey is not as popular as FB in the USA, I would compare D1 hockey and FCS football to be on an equal level of popularity.

As soon as we beat NDSU in fooball we will have a "Vikings/Packers" argument. These delirious Bison fans don't understand that one day UND will be better than NDSU at football and we will win a natty eventually. Time just cant move fast enough!

I'm afraid that isn't an understatement, but rather just a false or incorrect statement. The FBS IS the highest level of NCAA football; FCS IS 2nd.

I strongly agree with your NCAA hockey versus FCS football point though; NCAA hockey is not nearly as popular relative to the highest levels of competition in NCAA football, basketball, and baseball. The FCS is just as popular as NCAA hockey; for example, FCS football scores are featured on ESPN but where are the NCAA hockey scores?

National Popularity Rank of NCAA sports:

Football > Basketball > Baseball > Hockey

It will be tough for UND to be consistently better than NDSU if NDSU maintains the current commitment to being a dominant force in the FCS. The type of money NDSU is now giving Bohl and the assistants is excellent and should ensure that NDSU is going to have a top notch coaching staff(see getting Klieman to bail on UNI to come to NDSU)

no guarantees that UND will ever win a title. No guarantees that NDSU wins another one. Should be interesting to see what kind of D-I program UND develops into. Who would have thought that SDSU would be better in D-I than D-II? Who would have thought that Northern Colorado would (at least since the jump) be an embarrassment?

UND fans seem to be very high on the current freshman crop and the one coming in. That could be big in seeing what direction the program goes in. Our 2010 class has been dominant and done great things for our program. The next couple classes for UND could provide a similar impact in a positive or negative way.

Another thing I will find interesting(good or bad) is how NDSU as a school and fanbase handles things when things aren't perfect like right now. It is easy to fill the dome when people know they are going to watch the best team in the country. What happens in a year(and the following year) when the Bison just aren't anything special? Who knows, maybe NDSU will just be a Montana where a down year(2012 notwithstanding) is just 8-3 with a playoff birth.

Though I certainly don't guarantee that UND will win a national title, I have not doubt that we'll be able to be a year in, year out contender. Our move to D1 was a commitment to football in itself and now that we're out of the transition I believe we'll see a steady improvement. We just happened to follow a few years behind our biggest rival who set the bar impossibly high. Not only did we not match NDSU's immediate success, we were an absolute trainwreck of an athletic department outside of hockey. And though we are certainly not to the point many fans wish we were, there are very good things going on with our athletic teams that lead me to believe we will consistantly at or near the top of the Big Sky in all of the major sports once we get settled in.

Another thing I will find interesting(good or bad) is how NDSU as a school and fanbase handles things when things aren't perfect like right now. It is easy to fill the dome when people know they are going to watch the best team in the country. What happens in a year(and the following year) when the Bison just aren't anything special? Who knows, maybe NDSU will just be a Montana where a down year(2012 notwithstanding) is just 8-3 with a playoff birth.

Well said..."just being a Montana" would be a great thing for any FCS FB program. Best FB atmosphere I've witnessed outside of Lambeau...and I've been to many FBS gigs to boot. Consistent contender as you mentioned w as loyal fan base you'll find. We at UND would give anything to get to 8-3 w a playoff birth in the next 2 years w Muss. But my $$$ would be on SU winning another Natty in that same time frame. No Kool-Aid drinking here.

Well said..."just being a Montana" would be a great thing for any FCS FB program. Best FB atmosphere I've witnessed outside of Lambeau...and I've been to many FBS gigs to boot. Consistent contender as you mentioned w as loyal fan base you'll find. We at UND would give anything to get to 8-3 w a playoff birth in the next 2 years w Muss. But my $$$ would be on SU winning another Natty in that same time frame. No Kool-Aid drinking here.

I've heard only good things about WaGriz.

Just a warning, but this debate is going to flare up again in a big way either in the next couple days or just after the championship game. It's not a big surprise to those who have been paying attention, but it's looking certain that Western Carolina is going to back out of next year's game at NDSU. That leaves NDSU to find at least one game to fill three possible dates: Sep 14, Sep 21, and Nov 2. Since UND has an opening on Sep 21, some fans are going to start talking, and the media is going to trot the possible matchup as a way to boost ratings/readership. It's not going to matter that UND already has 11 games scheduled or that an NDSU game would fall right in between Montana and Montana State on your schedule. People are still going to talk about it and inflict more damage on that poor horse's corpse. Joy.

I'm assuming this is what you would be referring to? :)

Just a warning, but this debate is going to flare up again in a big way either in the next couple days or just after the championship game. It's not a big surprise to those who have been paying attention, but it's looking certain that Western Carolina is going to back out of next year's game at NDSU. That leaves NDSU to find at least one game to fill three possible dates: Sep 14, Sep 21, and Nov 2. Since UND has an opening on Sep 21, some fans are going to start talking, and the media is going to trot the possible matchup as a way to boost ratings/readership. It's not going to matter that UND already has 11 games scheduled or that an NDSU game would fall right in between Montana and Montana State on your schedule. People are still going to talk about it and inflict more damage on that poor horse's corpse. Joy.

Meh, enjoy filling your schedule. I'm guessing a team holds out for $300,000+ to come to Fargo. Anyone Gene calls knows they have FU by the balls. Not getting a D1 puts them at a 10 game schedule with Kansas St. being one of those games.

Meh, enjoy filling your schedule. I'm guessing a team holds out for $300,000+ to come to Fargo. Anyone Gene calls knows they have FU by the balls. Not getting a D1 puts them at a 10 game schedule with Kansas St. being one of those games.

I see a rematch with Prairie View as they could use the money.

From the Fargo Forum:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/386297/group/Opinion/

Every time the possibility of restoring the University of North Dakota and North Dakota State University football rivalry comes up, NDSU athletic officials roll out the wet blanket. What’s with that?

Last week the possibility (however remote at this point) that an opening on NDSU’s 2013 schedule could be filled by UND elicited a less-than-warm response from Bison Athletic Director Gene Taylor. What else is new? Taylor routinely twists himself into a rhetorical pretzel to explain why NDSU has not even tried to get UND on the Bison schedule.

Our schedule is set for next year. Every team they call now knows that they are desperate for a game and will be willing to spend a lot to get to a team to Fargo. They have the extra $150,000 from the buyout + they spent $250,000 out of pocket last year. Someone is going to get paid a lot of money to come to Fargo and it won't be UND. It won't happen while GT is at FU and right now I am fine with that. We don't need the game next year but I like how Faison says we'd be willing to talk. Anyone, anytime.

Our schedule is set for next year. Every team they call now knows that they are desperate for a game and will be willing to spend a lot to get to a team to Fargo. They have the extra $150,000 from the buyout + they spent $250,000 out of pocket last year. Someone is going to get paid a lot of money to come to Fargo and it won't be UND. It won't happen while GT is at FU and right now I am fine with that. We don't need the game next year but I like how Faison says we'd be willing to talk. Anyone, anytime.

100% agree!!!

haha...nice article coming from the Forum. I haven't been to bisonville, but I can only imagine the uproar this has caused over there...

I think a couple agree with the article and we should play, and the rest don't...one guy said their rival is SDSU not UND. Um okay roll with that theory.

I say screw em for 2013 unless it's the start of a regular series. Don't give them the satisfaction of giving us a guarantee game with no return. If they don't want to restart the rivalry for good, let them bring in Montana Western or pay $300,000 for Colgate. I'm sick of Gene Taylor's stubborness on this issue. Maybe if he gets bit in the ass by his "championship scheduling formula" he'll finally see why this game benefits both schools in the long run.

• Upvote 3

I say screw em for 2013 unless it's the start of a regular series. Don't give them the satisfaction of giving us a guarantee game with no return. If they don't want to restart the rivalry for good, let them bring in Montana Western or pay $300,000 for Colgate. I'm sick of Gene Taylor's stubborness on this issue. Maybe if he gets bit in the ass by his "championship scheduling formula" he'll finally see why this game benefits both schools in the long run.

You really think that Mr. Faison wants this game next year with your schedule? I doubt your fb coach does.

I wish Bison fans would realize that UND's schedule is full. All this speculation is coming from the Fargo media because NDSU needs a game, not UND. UND has seven home games and the schedule is looking great. Take your angst out on Dom Izzo and Kolpack for even bringing it up,