SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Here's the bottom line: NDSU's scheduling philosophy since moving to DI has led to three 10-1 seasons, six playoff wins, a national championship, booming season ticket sales, and significantly enhanced regional and national exposure.

Why on Earth would they want to mess around with that? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I agree. But thats a matter of opinion. Ours is obviously different then that of Herd and NDSU. I just think neither is "wrong" and its not worth fighting about (I guess it is worth it for the entertainment though).

Agreed this is an opinion (as is mine), but I believe that is what this topic is about. If there was no opinion this would be an awfully boring forum topic.

I honestly would prefer not to play them in football during the regular season, and I've held that position for quite some time now.

However, I'm confident that a game will be scheduled within 12 months after Gene Taylor moves on from NDSU. It maybe, won't happen for two years after that, but it will be agreed upon.

NDSU football is in a leverage position right now vs UND (sorry, that's just the way it is), and some of the same items that I listed above apply, although it's a different animal than MN vs NDSU, with both of us being on the same level.

Then UND-NDSU on the football field is dead (sorry, that's just the way it is). And I honestly couldn't care less. We are now full Division I and in the Big Sky Conference, which looks better and better with each passing week. Our schedules are looking better and better all the time. And, sooner than you would want, we will make our first appearance in the FCS playoffs. And then, hopefully, we'll resume our dominance over your little Herd (10-3 since 1993). You can say "it doesn't matter anymore" all you want, but it most certainly does and, deep down, you guys know it. :angry:

One FCS title and you guys are just so full of yourselves, you think poor little old UND just can't survive without a game contract with the mighty NDSU Bison. :silly: But the evidence just doesn't support that conclusion. Maybe Gene Taylor should try to schedule a game with Alabama (the Crimson Tide, not one of their nickel and dime small school programs) because I think some of your fans actually believe that maybe, just maybe, you could knock them off. And after the biggest beatdown in Bison football history (on the receiving end, anyway), I think your egos would be cut down to FCS (and Minnesota Gopher) size. But maybe that is wishful thinking.

So are the Gophers ducking NDSU when they choose to play us every 4-5 years? No, they are doing what in their best interest.

Anytime, Any Place, Anywhere - I can respect that.. Now it's - no Oklahoma, no UND, and only cupcakes like Priarie View A&M (one of the lowest funding programs in FCS football) or Robert Morris (are they even fully schollie?) in Fargo.. App St didn't duck Michigan... Please do what is best for NDSU but quit the excuses..

NDSU can say they are doing what is best for their football team and their athletic department, which may be the right thing to do. But whether it is fair or not, as long as UND keeps wanting to play the game and makes offers to play NDSU and Gene Taylor keeps rejecting them.....It will be perceived that NDSU does not want to play UND because they do not want to lose to them. Maybe NDSU has everything to lose in this game and UND has everything to gain in playing this game....but that is what it looks like. Probably not fair to NDSU because I doubt NDSU is scared of any team after winning it all last year. But look at it how a unbiased person would perceive the whole situation. They may wonder why a school that has consistently said they are better than another school over the years and especially the last decade would not want to schedule a game and prove it!! NDSU officials/fans/coaches/etc can give all the reasons why scheduling a game with UND is not ?in their best interest." But as long as they keep rejecting any offers from UND to play the game, they will be viewed by many as cowards!!

It's my understanding that in order to make this game happen, it would have to be a home and home. Therefore, if NDSU were to schedule UND, they would have to either give up a home game or a game against an FBS opponent. At this point, I have no interest in doing either for a game against UND. If NDSU was to schedule a home and home with an FCS opponent, I would much rather have it be with a team like Montana, Georgia Southern, App State, etc. that has a history of being successful at this level. Now, if UND wants a single game in Fargo, like the teams like Prairie View, RMU, St. Francis, etc. are agreeing to, I'm all for it. However, I don't see that happening, so I say stick with what's working (6 home games and an FBS game).

It's my understanding that in order to make this game happen, it would have to be a home and home. Therefore, if NDSU were to schedule UND, they would have to either give up a home game or a game against an FBS opponent. At this point, I have no interest in doing either for a game against UND. If NDSU was to schedule a home and home with an FCS opponent, I would much rather have it be with a team like Montana, Georgia Southern, App State, etc. that has a history of being successful at this level. Now, if UND wants a single game in Fargo, like the teams like Prairie View, RMU, St. Francis, etc. are agreeing to, I'm all for it. However, I don't see that happening, so I say stick with what's working (6 home games and an FBS game).

So you are waiting for GSU, App and Montana to come to Fargo, well it took how long for you guys to schedule Montana since moving up? App St won't get scheduled because NDSU may lose just like they don't schedule UND. Well keep up playing the bottom of the FCS (PV, Wagner, St. Francis) that formula has been working so far.

The truth is that GT still has his undies in a bunch from when UND made the decision not to play SU in football because they were a non-counter towards the playoffs.

I was told a few years ago by a prominent Fargo sportswriter that Chappy and GT stated that the game would never happen under their watch. Now that Chappy is gone GT may be more receptive but who cares. We will have a full FCS schedule after the first game of this year and I can't stand looking at their GB Packer unis anyway.

So you are waiting for GSU, App and Montana to come to Fargo, well it took how long for you guys to schedule Montana since moving up? App St won't get scheduled because NDSU may lose just like they don't schedule UND. Well keep up playing the bottom of the FCS (PV, Wagner, St. Francis) that formula has been working so far.

We had Montana our first year and have them and Montana State in 14 & 15. What's your schedule look like oh I see Valparaiso next year and Robert Morris in 14. You guys need to win some games against some good competition before you start running your mouths off. You have never won a FBS game (even against Idaho who is the worst) and have you ever won a game against a team that finished in the top 20 of FCS? Win some games before you start beating your chest.

We had Montana our first year and have them and Montana State in 14 & 15. What's your schedule look like oh I see Valparaiso next year and Robert Morris in 14. You guys need to win some games against some good competition before you start running your mouths off. You have never won a FBS game (even against Idaho who is the worst) and have you ever won a game against a team that finished in the top 20 of FCS? Win some games before you start beating your chest.

Riping on UND for playing Robert Morris.....hmmmm....might want to rethink that statement!! :)

Lets clear something up: Nobody plays an easier non-conference schedule than NDSU. Nobody plays worse FBS teams than NDSU - GT has even come out and said that they only schedule FBS games they think they can win.

UND's non-conference schedule in 2013 is very good.

• Upvote 1

Like I said, I would rather have 6 home games than 5 with a game at UND. I would rather play PV, St Francis, etc. at home than UND in Grand Forks. Yes, that formula has been working so far. If NDSU can get a home and home with a top level FCS team, great. If not, go with the home game.

Like I said, I would rather have 6 home games than 5 with a game at UND. I would rather play PV, St Francis, etc. at home than UND in Grand Forks. Yes, that formula has been working so far. If NDSU can get a home and home with a top level FCS team, great. If not, go with the home game.

Faison wants a home and home with NDSU every other year. Just 2 games initially...hopefully play every other year on a regular basis. So NDSU can still keep their scheduling formula the majority of the time. Only "wrinkle" in it would be that they would come to Grans Forks every 4 years. That is really not giving up to much. Expecially against a team that is your biggest rival that you have played over 100 games with. Its not sacrificing that much. Heck, you are rewarding the Bison fans with an away game that is a very easy to travel to.

So 2003 (still in DII) until 2014 thats 11 years So after the home and home end in 15 will it be another 11 years? How about GSU? 2006 still don't see them ( I know they backed out one year but until you play them the clock is ticking...6 years and counting). Good luck getting App State. We have never won a FBS game..so what neither has South Dakota State. NDSU is NOT an FBS team (I hate to break it to you but its true). Lets bash Valpo and RM with NDSU's OOC teams outside of transition...Austin Peay, Central Conn State, Wagner, Morgan State, Lafayette, St. Francis, PV A&M, Western Carolina (in 2013). So when we are on the same level of those teams NDSU will play us....gotcha!!! :silly:

• Upvote 1

So 2003 (still in DII) until 2014 thats 11 years So after the home and home end in 15 will it be another 11 years? How about GSU? 2006 still don't see them ( I know they backed out one year but until you play them the clock is ticking...6 years and counting). Good luck getting App State. We have never won a FBS game..so what neither has South Dakota State. NDSU is NOT an FBS team (I hate to break it to you but its true). Lets bash Valpo and RM with NDSU's OOC teams outside of transition...Austin Peay, Central Conn State, Wagner, Morgan State, Lafayette, St. Francis, PV A&M, Western Carolina (in 2013). So when we are on the same level of those teams NDSU will play us....gotcha!!! :silly:

Do you really believe the crap you post? Frison turned down a evey other year contract several years ago that would have worked with our schedule. (remember we want to play every year or nothing quote by Muss) I love to hear you guys begging for a game. I have a feeling once the season starts that you won't be talking about the schedule. :)

Do you really believe the crap you post? Frison turned down a evey other year contract several years ago that would have worked with our schedule. (remember we want to play every year or nothing quote by Muss) I love to hear you guys begging for a game. I have a feeling once the season starts that you won't be talking about the schedule. :)

So what is holding GT back since HE (Taylor) wanted every other year and that was proposed a few months ago. Scared to lose? Obviously he doesn't mind having to play AT UND since he wanted the every other year offer. Well Faison gave him that proposal and that was that. GT never signed it, now he looks like the bad guy. Boy this has more of a drama than the nickname issue.

Begging for a game? That is laughable buddy because you clearly have not seen our future schedules because they are pretty busy. At this point I am ready to move on and maybe we can meet in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Along the way UND wanted to play NDSU every year. When NDSU was taking heat for not playing the game Gene Taylor said let's play every other year. UND stood firm and said they still wanted to play every year. Gene thought his statement would take some heat off NDSU admininistration. He also knew at that point UND was also holding their position on playing every year and probably wouldn't accept the offer. As it turns out Taylor never intended to play UND every other year or any year at all. It was a phony statement. UND called NDSU's bluff to play every other year and guess what. NDSU still won't play. NDSU is afraid they would lose the game. They would not like their ego to be bruiised after all the years of spouting off about how much better they are than UND.. I am convinced UND would win the game. Especially if the game was played in Fargo. UND owns the Fargodome.

And there is your "Dagger"!!! Well said!!

Along the way UND wanted to play NDSU every year. When NDSU was taking heat for not playing the game Gene Taylor said let's play every other year. UND stood firm and said they still wanted to play every year. Gene thought his statement would take some heat off NDSU admininistration. He also knew at that point UND was also holding their position on playing every year and probably wouldn't accept the offer. As it turns out Taylor never intended to play UND every other year or any year at all. It was a phony statement. UND called NDSU's bluff to play every other year and guess what. NDSU still won't play. NDSU is afraid they would lose the game. They would not like their ego to be bruiised after all the years of spouting off about how much better they are than UND.. I am convinced UND would win the game. Especially if the game was played in Fargo. UND owns the Fargodome.

Great post!!!!!!! The bolded part is so very dead on!!!!

Anytime, Any Place, Anywhere - I can respect that.. Now it's - no Oklahoma, no UND, and only cupcakes like Priarie View A&M (one of the lowest funding programs in FCS football) or Robert Morris (are they even fully schollie?) in Fargo.. App St didn't duck Michigan... Please do what is best for NDSU but quit the excuses..

We turned down Oklahoma a few years ago