SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Where was this said?? Did Taylor say I won't sign this because I want a long term contract.

Not anywhere in public. He just mentioned having to get the University Presidents involved, which really doesn't make much sense.

Do you only want a 2 year deal? He's trying to work details for a long term contract. The only one moving the goal posts is Faison. You could have had a every other year contract a couple of years ago. Remember Mussman and Faison stating that only an every year contract would do? Both knew that was a non starter.

The most recent comments were for a home and home, nothing more, nothing less. Faison has said he wants it to be more than that, but the offer that was talked about was only a home and home. GT is getting the only contract that he said would be acceptable. Why is he talking about University Presidents needing to be involved now that he is getting offered what he wants?

Not anywhere in public. He just mentioned having to get the University Presidents involved, which really doesn't make much sense.

Doesn't that signal possible nickname issue? Since its always a decision by the president and not the AD.

My only point is to say that noone knows for sure what is going on behind the scenes so why are you assuming it is GT's hangup? It is a negotiation, there are no doubt many moving parts. It appears the wheels are in motion and this thing will get worked out sooner or later. I just don't understand why either side assumes the other side is the reason the contracts aren't finalized.

My only point is to say that noone knows for sure what is going on behind the scenes so why are you assuming it is GT's hangup? It is a negotiation, there are no doubt many moving parts. It appears the wheels are in motion and this thing will get worked out sooner or later. I just don't understand why either side assumes the other side is the reason the contracts aren't finalized.

Because thats what rivals do.

• Upvote 1

The best way to satisfy everyone is for UND to qualify for and play NDSU in the FCS playoffs. You know the NCAA would love it - they take most of the gate for playoff games. Host schools seldom make much $$ unless its a sellout and you can be sure a UND-NDSU game would be a sellout (even if it wasn't a playoff game). Then both teams need to continue to make the playoffs (and at least some times with the Sioux UND in a higher ranking so they can host the game) to keep it going. Then, if the schools see the profits from the games going to the NCAA, maybe, just maybe, they will actually start scheduling regular season games so they can keep the gate receipts.

As to most of the Sioux boosters here who continue to lay blame on Taylor for holding a grudge over what happened when NDSU went D-I, he wouldn't have a choice or be able to back out of a playoff game.

As for the Bison backers who claim that Faison wants an every year contract - keep making the playoffs. UND will join the playoff picture soon. We don't know if it will be this year or sometime shortly after that, but UND does have a history of putting playoff caliber teams on the field. As long as UND and NDSU are in different conferences, the NCAA would salivate at the possibility of matching up the two teams in one of the larger FCS venues and taking the profits. If you don't believe me, just wait.

• Upvote 1

Just keep saying that and eventually someone will believe it. Of course the folks at SDSU and USD may not.

Oh please, nobody believes that. They are a rival no doubt and the Dakota marker actually has made for a much more heated battle between the two schools, but I would actually consider UNI much more of a rival right now than SDSU.

What I don't understand about the situation is why you guys are pushing so hard on this thing. If GT doesn't want to play the game, it is pretty obvious it isn't in NDSU's best interest to play the game at this point in history, so let it go. Many posters on this board have said UND doesn't need the game and I agree. It is pretty clear GT doesn't want the game, speculate on the reason all you want, but what is the obsession with getting this game on the schedule?

Have you ever attended a Sioux/Bison football game? I attended almost every one since I was 5 or 6 years old. I want that atmosphere back in the Alerus. I want to go to the Fargodome wearing my Sioux gear. The last Nickel Trophy game is my favorite sporting event I've ever attended, and I've seen some pretty awesome stuff. From a fan perspective, there isn't a single FCS team I would rather see in the Alerus for a regular season game. Not a single one. That is why I'm obsessed with getting this game back on the schedule. Faison and Taylor have offices that are 70 miles apart, but they're 1000 miles apart on this issue and its sad.

• Upvote 2

Have you ever attended a Sioux/Bison football game? I attended almost every one since I was 5 or 6 years old. I want that atmosphere back in the Alerus. I want to go to the Fargodome wearing my Sioux gear. The last Nickel Trophy game is my favorite sporting event I've ever attended, and I've seen some pretty awesome stuff. From a fan perspective, there isn't a single FCS team I would rather see in the Alerus for a regular season game. Not a single one. That is why I'm obsessed with getting this game back on the schedule. Faison and Taylor have offices that are 70 miles apart, but they're 1000 miles apart on this issue and its sad.

I attended a few and played in a few, it's a special game no doubt, but not an epic game that has no match anywhere like some want to make it out to be.

Edit: It without a doubt was NOT the most intense atmosphere I played in during my time at NDSU. The only reason it was a big deal for me to play UND was because I had friends on the team and also guys on the team that I did not get along with.

Where was this said?? Did Taylor say I won't sign this because I want a long term contract.

In an interview he said he would like to have a long-term plan figured out because scheduling 2 games didn't seem fair to the people.

I attended a few and played in a few, it's a special game no doubt, but not an epic game that has no match anywhere like some want to make it out to be.

Edit: It without a doubt was NOT the most intense atmosphere I played in during my time at NDSU. The only reason it was a big deal for me to play UND was because I had friends on the team and also guys on the team that I did not get along with.

WAIT WHAT??? Not the most intense atmosphere? YOU ARE SO WRONG!!! WAIT, you played in the games...so you would know..

Is that why there are 5,000 threads on BVille about UND and what about 5 on SDSU and maybe 3 on UNI. SDSU is not your rival.

Probably because we have a bunch of UND guys on our board just like you have NDSU guys on here.

Unless I'm just ignoring the UND threads (which is possible) I see way more jabs at UNI than UND over there.

Probably because we have a bunch of UND guys on our board just like you have NDSU guys on here.

Unless I'm just ignoring the UND threads (which is possible) I see way more jabs at UNI than UND over there.

Are you guys also members of the UNI and SDSU forums?

WAIT WHAT??? Not the most intense atmosphere? YOU ARE SO WRONG!!! WAIT, you played in the games...so you would know..

Don't get to excited. I could see where a bison player that played in the last 2 years of the games and redshirted another wouldn't have enjoyed those games that much.

• Upvote 3

Are you guys also members of the UNI and SDSU forums?

I am, can't speak for the others. I'm a member of every opposing teams forum that we played last year. Made some good friends on a few of them actually, especially with SHSU.

I am, can't speak for the others. I'm a member of every opposing teams forum that we played last year. Made some good friends on a few of them actually, especially with SHSU.

You didn't play us, but still chose to become a member of our board. Definitely a sign that there is no rivalry... :whistling:;)

Don't get to excited. I could see where a bison player that played in the last 2 years of the games and redshirted another wouldn't have enjoyed those games that much.

No redshirt for me big guy. I guess I didn't realize that the environment a game is played in is dependent on who ends up winning the game. Interesting thought though.

I enjoyed the games that I am able to remember(late 90's, early 2000's). The end was sometimes a bummer but I believe they were all competitive regardless of who won.

• 2 months later...

HowBoutThemBison?, on 04 May 2011 - 09:25 AM, said:

Ok, you know you want Thornton, no don't do this crap. He is a very good football player. He committed to the Bison very early so might that be a reason UND didn't go after him that hard.

We don't need to keep going on about this but I know for a fact UND recruited him as a safety, not a QB. We will see how it plays out.

As predicted, Thornton has been moved to defense as soon as a better QB got on the roster (even though he was there "qb of the future"). Thank you.

Lots of spin on the BSville, gee I seem to remember there was a thread a mile long over there about their perception of broken promises related to UND and its quarterback recruiting - right about the time they should have been discussing their national championship.

Everyone moooves on in different ways I guess. Based on the opportunities we have for football opponents now, it's not a big deal if we meet on a yearly basis ever again to me - trolls just add fuel to that feeling.