SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Don't ask the question and then change the parameters once I answer. You asked about Wofford and James Madison, not St. Francis.

Of course there would be more interest in a UND game from casual fans. But, for my part, I would rather see Wofford at home.

Like I said earlier, it gives us more of an idea of where we stand nationally to play teams from the east coast. I get sick of hearing all the CAA teams say that the MVFC is no good, so playing a team from the CAA or the Southern Conference would bring with it some credibility in their eyes.

Wofford, James Madison, St Francis....whatever!!! They are all the same. An out of conference game against a team 1500 miles away. My point is if you are going to schedule a game against a quality FCS opponent, you got one 70 miles away that wants to play you!

Why do you think Montana was happy to schedule that with UND, but wouldn't with NDSU?

I don't know. Maybe because UND isn't scared of FCS OOC road games. Since 2008 NDSU has had 4 OOC FCS road games..and 3 of those were in the playoffs.

Tim O’Keefe was on the radio and said that it was a big mistake for UND to quit playing NDSU and it's hurting UND through their transition. NDSU has sent over contracts for games and UND just keeps moving the goal line. Now we are out to 2015 or later. Another fact is we have the money to bring in a FSC team in to play and you guys can only bring in NAIA teams. Look at the arrogance of some of UND posters. You have lowering attendance, poor game atmosphere, and a mediocre team but we are suppose bend over backwards to schedule a game with you. Instead of worrying about playing NDSU get your own house in order. Win the BSC.

Tim O’Keefe was on the radio and said that it was a big mistake for UND to quit playing NDSU and it's hurting UND through their transition. NDSU has sent over contracts for games and UND just keeps moving the goal line. Now we are out to 2015 or later. Another fact is we have the money to bring in a FSC team in to play and you guys can only bring in NAIA teams. Look at the arrogance of some of UND posters. You have lowering attendance, poor game atmosphere, and a mediocre team but we are suppose bend over backwards to schedule a game with you. Instead of worrying about playing NDSU get your own house in order. Win the BSC.

NDSU did that too during their transition. Problem is with 4 conference games you need to find 7 OOC games...look at 2012 NDSU can only find 2 as of now and 1 is a FBS game scheduled years in advance. South Dakota scheduled 3 NAIA/DII teams last year. Cal Poly and UC Davis scheduled 1 each...Southern Utah scheduled 10 FCS games and 1 FBS team the only team to do that the rest had 2 FBS teams on the schedule and had to fill 5 spots, which is the reason why UND wanted to play NDSU every year 1 less spot to fill. Do I think it was a mistake to quit the series..sure. But that is going on 8 years ago. 2004. Who at UND is still around since 2004 that quit the series...Gene Roebuck. Who at NDSU is still there that quit the series? Two, Craig Bohl and Gene Taylor. What sports have not been renewed 2 Women's basketball, and football. Obviously there has to be bad blood. Now with UND going to the BSC we need basically 2 OOC games same with NDSU. 2015 is the next season NDSU and UND are both availble (if nobody backs out)...schedule it.

Is it any different that than the arrogance coming from the NDSU poster on Bisonville? Ones who post that NDSU is so much better than UND at every sport that UND doesn't deserve to play NDSU and if they do, it needs to be on NDSU's terms. I'll give NDSU the fact that they should host the first game and thus far, they have hosted the first game in VB and MBB. But their are so many posters who say NDSU should never travel to UND, especially for football. Is that the same arrogance you're accusing UND of?

• Upvote 1

Well, thanks for setting us all straight. I knew we could count on an AC fan to set us straight. It wasn't a mistake to quit playing you in FB at the time. Had we played NDSU when we were D2 it would have been held against us and the one year we likely wouldnt' have made the playoffs at all. That has been rpeviously documented and discussed. It was a mistake to quit playing the AC in the other sports. Tim is in the Alumni Office and I am not sure he is informed of all of the ramifications of the D2 FB playoffs.

Is it any different that than the arrogance coming from the NDSU poster on Bisonville? Ones who post that NDSU is so much better than UND at every sport that UND doesn't deserve to play NDSU and if they do, it needs to be on NDSU's terms. I'll give NDSU the fact that they should host the first game and thus far, they have hosted the first game in VB and MBB. But their are so many posters who say NDSU should never travel to UND, especially for football. Is that the same arrogance you're accusing UND of?

Just pick one of the many, many, many UND threads going on over there.

Wofford, James Madison, St Francis....whatever!!! They are all the same. An out of conference game against a team 1500 miles away. My point is if you are going to schedule a game against a quality FCS opponent, you got one 70 miles away that wants to play you!

Wofford and JMU are not the same as St. Francis. JMU was the national champ in 2004 and Wofford is perennially in the top 3 in the Southern Conference. In this part of the country we know UND is good, but nationally we are much better off playing those teams if we need a quality win to get into the playoffs.

Well, thanks for setting us all straight. I knew we could count on an AC fan to set us straight. It wasn't a mistake to quit playing you in FB at the time. Had we played NDSU when we were D2 it would have been held against us and the one year we likely wouldnt' have made the playoffs at all. That has been rpeviously documented and discussed. It was a mistake to quit playing the AC in the other sports. Tim is in the Alumni Office and I am not sure he is informed of all of the ramifications of the D2 FB playoffs.

Its okay because 2009 NDSU would have quit the series because they want 6 home games and want quality FCS teams. 2009 would've been the year it would be in Grand Forks after NDSU joined the MVFC. 2009- 8 conference games, at Iowa State, at Sam Houston State (back end of home and home) and at UND instead of hosting Wagner..then at SIU. 4 road games to start the year...yeah I am sure NDSU would have killed the series.

Wofford and JMU are not the same as St. Francis. JMU was the national champ in 2004 and Wofford is perennially in the top 3 in the Southern Conference. In this part of the country we know UND is good, but nationally we are much better off playing those teams if we need a quality win to get into the playoffs.

But you don't play quality teams. Lafayette? St. Francis? Wagner? Austin Peay? Morgan State? Where is quality? Thats right....South Dakota.

Pros to a yearly game-

Scheduling Stability

Having a long time rival on the schedule

Cons to a yearly game-

Lack of flexibility in OOC scheduling

One more loss on schedule for one of us each year

Feel free to add as you see fit.

This I can dig. I would prefer an every other year arrangement. I would also like to see different FCS teams come to UND rather than only having 2 games with differing opponents every year. I want to see teams from the MVFC, Southland, CAA, SoCon come to UND if possible. With only two OOC games to schedule, one would likely be an FBS and the other would be a purchased tomato can (which isn't a bad thing). I'd just like some flexibility with the last one (NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNI, Southern Ill, Sam Houston, SFA, JMU, ODU, GSU, UNH, Maine, Towson, etc) - and yes I know that most of that wouold not be possible, but at least we could get some action with the other MVFC and Southland teams I would suspect. I know my opinion is of the minority, but I like different teams.

This I can dig. I would prefer an every other year arrangement. I would also like to see different FCS teams come to UND rather than only having 2 games with differing opponents every year. I want to see teams from the MVFC, Southland, CAA, SoCon come to UND if possible. With only two OOC games to schedule, one would likely be an FBS and the other would be a purchased tomato can (which isn't a bad thing). I'd just like some flexibility with the last one (NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNI, Southern Ill, Sam Houston, SFA, JMU, ODU, GSU, UNH, Maine, Towson, etc) - and yes I know that most of that wouold not be possible, but at least we could get some action with the other MVFC and Southland teams I would suspect. I know my opinion is of the minority, but I like different teams.

If it meant seeing NDSU every year I would get rid of the FBS game every other year. I would rather have at home...NDSU, FCS, at FBS then next year at NDSU vs FCS vs FCS.

I actually agree with you on this. It's nice to face teams from other parts of the country. I'm not sure how the every other year contract that Gene Taylor supposedly offered, but I sure wish we would have accepted it or worked to make it acceptable. Maybe this is currently happening, who knows. I've been told that an every other year contract has been agreed upon beginning in 2015 with the first game in Fargo. The person I heard it from has been correct on some info in the past but has also been wrong on some info regarding Sioux sports. I won't believe it until the contract is signed and it comes out in the media.

"Lowering attendance, poor game atmosphere, and a medocre team?" Sounds like the NDAC in 2009?

"Get your house in order?" Best Buy still in business in Fargo?

"Win the BSC?" Hopefully next year...

But you don't play quality teams. Lafayette? St. Francis? Wagner? Austin Peay? Morgan State? Where is quality? Thats right....South Dakota.

Correct, we have trouble getting teams to Fargo because they have similar mentalities when it comes to scheduling. Everybody wants home games.

That doesn't change the way we try to schedule. GT continues to try and get high quality OOC opponents to the FargoDome.

I actually agree with you on this. It's nice to face teams from other parts of the country. I'm not sure how the every other year contract that Gene Taylor supposedly offered, but I sure wish we would have accepted it or worked to make it acceptable. Maybe this is currently happening, who knows. I've been told that an every other year contract has been agreed upon beginning in 2015 with the first game in Fargo. The person I heard it from has been correct on some info in the past but has also been wrong on some info regarding Sioux sports. I won't believe it until the contract is signed and it comes out in the media.

I did hear Faison say on the radio recently that an every other year agreement may be looked at in the future. It was just an off the cuff comment on KFGO a few months ago. It wouldn't surprise me now that UND has a BSC schedule set with OOC dates to work with that this game will be scheduled soon. It may be a few years yet down the road but I could see something being inked in the next couple of years.

Prior to the BSC schedule Faison needed games. I don't doubt it was almost an impossible task at times. I don't quite see why at that point Faison didn't like the every other year idea but that now is water under the bridge. Since then I can see why there has been a delay. UND had to wait until the BSC schedules came out before they could start plugging in OOC games. Once the schedules came out dates were already filled at NDSU and the ones that were open didn't match. 2015 does appear to be the year without using the buy-out avenue.

ndsu does not need und period.... someone mentioned ditching the fbs games every other year, um hell no, christ uni has two next year to try to balance out their budget, as much of a economic boom it would be for fargo it does nothing for our athletic budget that wagner already does. those questioning su's scheduling are just being obtuse and do not see the big picture that is post season. the mvfc as well as the big sky is a meat grinder of a schedule. cup cake fcs wins can and will be a difference maker in the future. those are just the facts.

Taylor would piss off way to many Bison fans if he agreed to a yearly game. I believe he has made his final offer.

The only way this game gets played every year is at the ballot box.

It would piss off alot of season ticket holders because they almost demand six regular season home games a year and when NDSU is averaging $200,000 a game after expenses it makes some financial sense as well. With the every other year deal it would give them two consecutive seasons with six home games with one season of five in between. It also gives both NDSU and UND alittle bit of flexibility with scheduling. Not all care about the flexibility but many do.

"Lowering attendance, poor game atmosphere, and a medocre team?" Sounds like the NDAC in 2009?

"Get your house in order?" Best Buy still in business in Fargo?

"Win the BSC?" Hopefully next year...

NDSU still managed to average around 16,000 that year even though it was an ugly year.

I think he meant getting fans interested again and making some money. I read that only about 6,500 showed up for a game this year in GF that won't pay the bills. And since the house cleaning of some garbage at NDSU Best Buy has been doing very well in Fargo. :)

OK.....now I am going to cry foul.......I have to go find glasses to read that darn small print........

ndsu does not need und period.... someone mentioned ditching the fbs games every other year, um hell no, christ uni has two next year to try to balance out their budget, as much of a economic boom it would be for fargo it does nothing for our athletic budget that wagner already does. those questioning su's scheduling are just being obtuse and do not see the big picture that is post season. the mvfc as well as the big sky is a meat grinder of a schedule. cup cake fcs wins can and will be a difference maker in the future. those are just the facts.

That is absolutely not true. Say the Fargodome holds 18,500 with 2,000 reserved for students (I'm too lazy to look up the real numbers). If NDSU sells 95% of its tickets for a game against Wagner at an average price of $20 that's a total gate revenue of $313,500. Now you schedule UND and charge an average of $35 a ticket and sell 100% of the tickets. That's a gate revenue of $577,500 and an extra $264,000. How is that not doing anything for your athletic budget? On top of that, you save on your advertising budget because you really don't have to advertise for the game at all, a simple press release announcing the game and its inclusion on all promotional items that include the full schedule will sell it. That's a week or more, depending on how the schedule sets up, where you can cut your advertising budget at least in half. So there's a financial incentive to add on to the scheduling stability and the renewal of the best rivalry series either of our schools has for any sport.

That is absolutely not true. Say the Fargodome holds 18,500 with 2,000 reserved for students (I'm too lazy to look up the real numbers). If NDSU sells 95% of its tickets for a game against Wagner at an average price of $20 that's a total gate revenue of $313,500. Now you schedule UND and charge an average of $35 a ticket and sell 100% of the tickets. That's a gate revenue of $577,500 and an extra $264,000. How is that not doing anything for your athletic budget? On top of that, you save on your advertising budget because you really don't have to advertise for the game at all, a simple press release announcing the game and its inclusion on all promotional items that include the full schedule will sell it. That's a week or more, depending on how the schedule sets up, where you can cut your advertising budget at least in half. So there's a financial incentive to add on to the scheduling stability and the renewal of the best rivalry series either of our schools has for any sport.

Don't forget to add the money that would have been paid to Wagner. That money goes back into the NDSU coffers. Home and homes with UND would mean no payment to the visiting team.