SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Meeting - On Fighting Sioux or Et Tu Brute?

BobIwabuchiFan

What do you think will be the outcome of the Good Friday NCAA meeting?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How will the meeting turn out on Good Friday with the NCAA gang?

• NCAA recognizes name and removes UND from Hostile/Abusive Nickname; states they have met their goal
    • NCAA reiterates their position and tells UND its going on the Hostile and Abusive list again
    • NCAA removes UND from their competitive alliance and snubs their nose at the State
    • Meeting leads to more discussions at a later date with no movement on the current agreement stalemate

What is clear is that you are so giddy about the potential for trial and travail to befall UND, the shear anticipation will keep you from sleeping.

The NCAA has far bigger issues - like the latest Auburn cash-payment charges - that if it dared disrupt UND's transition when far more corrupting influences are present, the media and Congress would be on its case.

Yeah, the ncaa has shown that they could care less about Indian nicknames . . . really? That's your story? When they go around the table at the ncaa board of directors to vote on your DI membership, hopefully they will have a short memory, or be scared off by the fear of congress and the media, but I wouldn't count on it.

As an attorney, and coming from the school that makes North Dakota attorneys, I'm convinced that North Dakota will

stand evenly against the NCAA. That hypocritical organization is perceived to be at it's publicly weakest, that old adage

about throwing stones, when they live in the proverbial glass house.....Anti-trust litigations can take years....and let's not forget

about Restraining Orders or Protection Orders requiring the status quo until final court determinations....Optimistic, that University of

North Dakota can have it's cake and eat it to.

I think this is what most of us thought was going to happen all along, the proposed NCAA meeting which gave some hope of a second look at the issue was nothing more than the NCAA brass wanting to deliver the sanctioning news in person, but with the scent of a public meeting in the air they said "Screw it, they'll get it snail mail and like it, and we'll be safely behind our desks".

....and let's not forget about Restraining Orders or Protection Orders requiring the status quo until final court determinations....

But what is the status quo in this instance?

Is it the present use of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo?

Or the presently agreed to retirement of that nickname and logo per the existing contract between the University and the NCAA?

I'm just asking.

But what is the status quo in this instance?

Is it the present use of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo?

Or the presently agreed to retirement of that nickname and logo per the existing contract between the University and the NCAA?

I'm just asking.

I think its the law until its overturned...the University is starting to comply to the law and I haven't heard the SBOHE ready to fight the legislature in any articles and I think they are the only ones who could bring a case against the law..right?

BobIwabuchiFan

If the worst that's going to happen is not being able to host post season play (which we don't anyways) and having to wear alternative jerseys during post season (hockey is the only sport affected), then it's really not the end of the world. Plus, it gives us time to either get Standing Rocks blessing or find another compromise with the NCAA. Either way we get to keep our traditions. This is far from over and the NCAA's response is not exactly a bombshell, we will work this out. I'm looking forward to buying a UND post season jersey to hang in my closet along with all my other Sioux jerseys!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If the worst that's going to happen is not being able to host post season play (which we don't anyways) and having to wear alternative jerseys during post season (hockey is the only sport affected), then it's really not the end of the world. Plus, it gives us time to either get Standing Rocks blessing or find another compromise with the NCAA. Either way we get to keep our traditions. This is far from over and the NCAA's response is not exactly a bombshell, we will work this out. I'm looking forward to buying a UND post season jersey to hang in my closet along with all my other Sioux jerseys!

The NCAA may have inadvertantly found UND another revenue stream by forcing a new jersey for next post season. Well played!

Not quite sure what you mean by this comment? Obviously hockey is not the only sport affected. Football, Women's basketball, and Women's hockey will not be able to host any home playoff games. There are at least a few schools locally (U of Minnesota, U of Wisconsin, U of Iowa) that will refuse to play us in any sport if we are on the Hostile and Abusive list. Not to mention that this could definitely affect recruiting in all sports.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not quite sure what you mean by this comment? Obviously hockey is not the only sport affected. Football, Women's basketball, and Women's hockey will not be able to host any home playoff games. There are at least a few schools locally (U of Minnesota, U of Wisconsin, U of Iowa) that will refuse to play us in any sport if we are on the Hostile and Abusive list. Not to mention that this could definitely affect recruiting in all sports.

Is there a program eligible for an NCAA championship event next year except hockey? I don't think that dot com thing basketball competed in this year is considered an NCAA championship. Neither are conference post season tournaments.

Hockey is the only visible sport that incorporates the Sioux name and indian head logo on the jersey.

Hockey is the only visible sport that incorporates the Sioux name and indian head logo on the jersey.

That may be true, but all of the other sports still face the same sanctions...not being able to host playoff games. I'm not referring to next year because that doesn't matter as most schedules are set and football isn't eligible. There is no way that UND can continue to go forward after next year while remaining on the sanctioned list.

• Upvote 1

Are the WCHA playoffs considered post season play? I thought post season play would be for the National tournament not conference playoffs.

The WCHA playoffs are considered post season play but are not subject to NCAA governance (ex: The NCAA doesn't tell the WCHA or any conference for that matter what format their tournament will be)

The way I look at it is I think we should proceed ahead with Fighting Sioux as the nickname for the next few years to see how the penalties will really effect the University. If they become a huge factor, such as scheduling or say the football team would have had a home playoff game or game(s), re-evaluate after that and go from there. We are at the point now that the come August 1st we are going to have to deal with the law, so we might as well stay with the nickname for next season & just to see what effects the penalties will actually entail we might as well keep it for the next 2 or 3. Who knows, maybe the penalties will seem like an occasional fly at a picnic and not be so bad, and we can just go on in perpetuity on the list. We may find out that it may not have that big of effect on us.

It has already been decided. Our favorite University athletic squads will be named "Fighting Sioux" next season.

I also look forward to buying a new "4th" jersey design. I am hoping it is a nice retro design, preferably the cursive "North Dakota", like the one the women's team wears. Anyone with a pic of that?

From Rocky Top Talk...NCAA Audacity Cares Not For Your Fighting Sioux Law, North Dakota

Congratulations to the NCAA, which after a century of aspiring to be as seriously over-regulated and under-sensible as your friendly neighborhood government agency, has finally reached the absolute pinnacle of arrogance. NCAA executive vice president Bernard Franklin (hey, remove a few letters from his first name and it's almost like he's a founding father!) recently told the University of North Dakota that a new state law requiring the school to keep its Fighting Sioux nickname and logo "cannot change the NCAA policy" prohibiting it. Yes, they said that.

"But, but, but . . . we're required by law to keep it," says UND. "Don't care," says the NCAA. "There will be legal penalties if we don't," says the Nickname in Dispute. "There will NCAA penalties if you do," says the NCAA. "But it was promulgated by the state legislature, and you're . . . you're the NCAA," says the school. "Aaaand?" #mutualblankstares

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Bernard Franklin that tooth extraction effected by multiple blunt force traumata to his skull couldn't fix. Time for the ND members of the Senate and the House to get some public hearings scheduled to determine whether the NCAA constitutes a monopoly.