SiouxSports.com Forum

UMD fans

bigskyvikes

Very true but if DHG is sincere in his regret for his comments,IMO, he should go back on the air and apologise without bringing up a comment made 8 years ago. Doesn't matter is anyone is listening or not, apologise in the same venue he made his original comment.

The sad part is, the fans don't want to leave, and the idiots who want to aren't going to be swayed. :sad: It's ok though. The WCHA will still have two of the winningest programs in college hockey and will still attract top tier talent.

Not true at all. Many Gopher fans, myself included, can't wait to join the Big Ten. That's where we belong. The WCHA has watered down this league for years, adding Mankato, UAA, and now Bemidji and Omaha were the last straws. We belong in a conference with other Big Ten schools like Michigan and MSU, not Division II and Division III schools like Denver, North Dakota, Duluth, St. Cloud, etc. 20 years from now we will look back and say the formation of the Big Ten Hockey Conference was one of the best things to ever happen to college hockey.

And Drunk Hockey Guy is an idiot. He made fun of Tyler Hirsch and Danny Kristo yet gets offended by people making comments about Lessard.

• Downvote 5

Not true at all. Many Gopher fans, myself included, can't wait to join the Big Ten. That's where we belong. The WCHA has watered down this league for years, adding Mankato, UAA, and now Bemidji and Omaha were the last straws. We belong in a conference with other Big Ten schools like Michigan and MSU, not Division II and Division III schools like Denver, North Dakota, Duluth, St. Cloud, etc. 20 years from now we will look back and say the formation of the Big Ten Hockey Conference was one of the best things to ever happen to college hockey.

And Drunk Hockey Guy is an idiot. He made fun of Tyler Hirsch and Danny Kristo yet gets offended by people making comments about Lessard.

One post, one negative rep point from me. I think most gopher fans would disagree with your points.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not true at all. Many Gopher fans, myself included, can't wait to join the Big Ten. That's where we belong. The WCHA has watered down this league for years, adding Mankato, UAA, and now Bemidji and Omaha were the last straws.

So watered down that five WCHA teams made the NCAAs and none of them were from Minneapolis or Madison. :)

I think UND fans are noticing UMD jackwagons, because they become more visible when a team wins. You think UMTC and Bucky fans suddenly all became saints? No, but no one is bringing up them because their teams aren't relevant right now.

Like numerous others have said, each fan base has them and that's never going to change as long as we let all people reproduce.

i don't know what time pa is on, i don't listen to him, but i would assume a good chunk of Sioux fans will be in some St. Paul bar or even the X already rather than listening to his show! go Sioux!!!!

9-12. Perfect for tailgating!

You're the first Gopher or Badger fan to say you're excited about the Big 10. Have fun with Penn State and OSU!

have fun working with schools that lose money every year (except the UofM) on hockey! if i was starting a new hockey conference PENN STATE and OHIO STATE are the last schools i would be looking at to join the leage. those two school wont be relevant in college hockey for years to come and will water down your league a heck of a lot quicker than bemidji state and Omaha! also, the last time i checked, UND and Denver were D1 schools. your argument about not being in a conference with a D3 school is irrelevant because D3 already has hockey!

i mean c'mon act like you have been here before! i mean it's one thing to talk smack about your opponent but its another to look past them and plan ahead!

I hear what you're saying, but there have been a lot of Sioux fans on here and USCHO that have already hung banner #8. Good thing Hak and the Sioux are getting ready to play Michigan and not organizing the parade.

I look at the title of this thread... "UMD Fans-What Happened?"... and I think it should say "WCHA Fans-What Changed?"

People act surprised that fan bases such as Bemidji and Duluth, who are generally considered more allies than enemies, have recently become a little more distant and critical and yeah, maybe even ornery towards us. I'm not surprised at all, it comes with the territory. With the Gophers slide the last few years we are now the team in everybodys crosshairs, the biggest meanies in the roughest, toughest conference in college hockey, and people aren't going to love you for that. Every team outside the WCHA hates the WCHA because they think it's thug hockey, every team in the WCHA has disdain for the teams that consistently battle for the top of the pile. The difference is up until a couple years ago the Gophers caught most of the flak while UND and Denver were considered more like misdemeanor offenders, now that Minnesota has been a middle-of-the-pack team for a few years we are drawing more of the haters, and probably for good reason.

Why?

1) We're winning.

2) We play hard, some would say too hard.

3) We have a huge fan base, many very rabid, and quite a few jackasses. And we talk a lot of sh^t.

Honestly if I didn't love the Sioux I'd probably hate us too.

FYI, I am cheering for a Sioux-Duluth final, WCHA > everybody else.

have fun working with schools that lose money every year (except the UofM) on hockey! if i was starting a new hockey conference PENN STATE and OHIO STATE are the last schools i would be looking at to join the leage. those two school wont be relevant in college hockey for years to come and will water down your league a heck of a lot quicker than bemidji state and Omaha! also, the last time i checked, UND and Denver were D1 schools. your argument about not being in a conference with a D3 school is irrelevant because D3 already has hockey!

UNO is going D-1 as well.

I look at the title of this thread... "UMD Fans-What Happened?"... and I think it should say "WCHA Fans-What Changed?"

People act surprised that fan bases such as Bemidji and Duluth, who are generally considered more allies than enemies, have recently become a little more distant and critical and yeah, maybe even ornery towards us. I'm not surprised at all, it comes with the territory. With the Gophers slide the last few years we are now the team in everybodys crosshairs, the biggest meanies in the roughest, toughest conference in college hockey, and people aren't going to love you for that. Every team outside the WCHA hates the WCHA because they think it's thug hockey, every team in the WCHA has disdain for the teams that consistently battle for the top of the pile. The difference is up until a couple years ago the Gophers caught most of the flak while UND and Denver were considered more like misdemeanor offenders, now that Minnesota has been a middle-of-the-pack team for a few years we are drawing more of the haters, and probably for good reason.

Why?

1) We're winning.

2) We play hard, some would say too hard.

3) We have a huge fan base, many very rabid, and quite a few jackasses. And we talk a lot of sh^t.

Honestly if I didn't love the Sioux I'd probably hate us too.

Well said. UND is receiving venom once reserved for the Gophers, as now that's like picking on the slow kid in class. :)

The Internet happened. Seriously. How many interactions did fanbases have before SS/Twitter/facebook/blogs/article comments? Not a lot. So if one didn't like an article in the paper, they had to write a letter to the editor. If one had a bad experience with a fan, they wouldn't then encounter them over and over in cyberspace later on.

More and more people are joining SS/USCHO (I'd say tPB but not really, it's pretty much a niche site, which I like), more people are blogging, more people are commenting. And more people are irritating each other!

I don't get why we were considered allies anyway. Other than individual fan friendships, why would we be allies? Bemidji is different because there are a lot of people who were Bemidji AND Sioux/Gopher fans because they didn't compete much, and now they have to choose. Well, they don't HAVE to.

The Internet happened. Seriously. How many interactions did fanbases have before SS/Twitter/facebook/blogs/article comments? Not a lot. So if one didn't like an article in the paper, they had to write a letter to the editor. If one had a bad experience with a fan, they wouldn't then encounter them over and over in cyberspace later on.

More and more people are joining SS/USCHO (I'd say tPB but not really, it's pretty much a niche site, which I like), more people are blogging, more people are commenting. And more people are irritating each other!

I don't get why we were considered allies anyway. Other than individual fan friendships, why would we be allies? Bemidji is different because there are a lot of people who were Bemidji AND Sioux/Gopher fans because they didn't compete much, and now they have to choose. Well, they don't HAVE to.

I've always liked the Bulldogs but I'd say that Sandelin becoming your teams head coach created a soft spot for UMD. Certainly didn't negatively impact how Sioux fans thought of UMD.

I'm still waiting to meet a respectable UMD fan.................... :silly:

or one that knows more about their hockey team than I do.

I've always said there are different levels of devotion:

I almost always find that I know more about my team than "other team's fan" knows about their team.

I usually find that I know more about "other fan"'s team than they know about my team.

What's alarming is to find "fans" who don't know as much about their team as I know about their team.

Sometimes when this happens, the excuses range from "I'm a fan of lots of teams" to "I'm a fan, but I don't have time to know every little thing about my team".

To me, fan = fanatic. If you don't have that level of devotion, call yourself an enthusiast. 8-)

Dave

I've always liked the Bulldogs but I'd say that Sandelin becoming your teams head coach created a soft spot for UMD. Certainly didn't negatively impact how Sioux fans thought of UMD.

I do understand the Sioux fans' perspective with Sandy, but that goes one way. I guess we did give you Andy Rannells. :lol:

I think what really happened here is a case of mistaken identity.

With the state of the UMN program lately I think most Sioux fans who saw maroon in the building just automatically assumed it must be a UMD fan because 1. no MN fan would show up and 2. if they did show up no way would they be sportin' colors.

And we ALL know how ALL MN fans behave. ;)

I've always liked Duluth but I really don't know what some of you are expecting? That they reciprocate and like the Sioux as well? Yeah, that isn't going to happen. Most if not all UMD fans hate the Sioux.

While I'll be cheering for UMD to win against Notre Dame, don't hold your breathe to see any UMD fans cheering for the Sioux to beat Michigan.

Dont put all us UMD fans in the same category. I enjoy watching North Dakota play, I make the Ralph an annual trip when we play out there, and cheer for North Dakota when we arent playing each other. I agree that all fanbases have idiots like those referred to above. And we have a few doozies (sp lol). But I wish North Dakota the best on Thursday. I'll be there cheering them on thursday night. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

Dont put all us UMD fans in the same category. I enjoy watching North Dakota play, I make the Ralph an annual trip when we play out there, and cheer for North Dakota when we arent playing each other. I agree that all fanbases have idiots like those referred to above. And we have a few doozies (sp lol). But I wish North Dakota the best on Thursday. I'll be there cheering them on thursday night. Good luck.

Thanks! Posts like your's give me hope to one day cheer on the 'dawgs when they're not playing us. :) One day......

I do understand the Sioux fans' perspective with Sandy, but that goes one way. I guess we did give you Andy Rannells. :lol:

Exactly, which is why I wonder what some Sioux fans expect? It isn't going to be a mutual affair. :lol:

@Datruthindaluth: I worded my statement so that I didn't lump all UMD fans into the same category. :)

Really? Don't we already have a 4-page self-flagellation going on about how bad other fans are and how persecuted we feel? Have I mistakenly logged into GPL reading about how great the Gopher fans think they are because everyone hates them so much.

We don't need to stoop to that level; at least not in two separate threads; and at least not 4 days before the big show.

There is this game...its on Thursday...its against Michigan. Anyone hear about it?

Sorry, meant to give you a plus. Fat fingers

Thanks. I've always enjoyed watching Duluth play; they are a good skating team that likes to move the puck without too much gooning. Also, I respect the hell out of their coach...that being said, if UMD fans don't want to root for a fellow WCHA team Thursday, I'm fine with that. I really don't care who wins between them and Notre Dame, just want to see a good game...Either way the final would be great IF the Sioux win...play a WCHA team that likes to play up-tempo or play the Fighting Irish who UND played extremely tough earlier this year.

The sad part is, the fans don't want to leave, and the idiots who want to aren't going to be swayed. :sad: It's ok though. The WCHA will still have two of the winningest programs in college hockey and will still attract top tier talent.

And UMD will still be in the WCHA too!