SiouxSports.com Forum

What is Racist?

GeauxSioux

Student Costumes at Hill Murray Game Called Racist

One alumni of St. Paul Johnson High School called FOX 9 News on Monday and said he was irate with what he saw Hill Murray students doing when Johnson High -- a school with predominately African American students -- played them during a basketball game on Friday.

“They were hopping around on the court and jumping around like monkeys -- and to me, it can’t get any more racist,” said David Carlson.

FOX 9 was at that game, and saw the Hill Murray students dressed as gorillas and a banana, a practice that the school’s principal said has been happing since last year regardless of what team they’re playing.

I'm so tired of everyone being a victim. What happened to this country?

I think the racist person in this whole thing is the person that assumed acting or dressing like a monkey is a reference to African-Americans. And I feel that way in almost any other situation where someone is accusing someone else of being racist.

"One Alumni", why is this a news story?

It's a news story because (if you watch/read it) the reporter is using this example to question what racism is and if we are becoming overly sensitive to these matters in society today. I think it is a completely relevant topic and made for a great story.

When a majority group tells a minority group that using them as a mascot is honoring them and if they have to quite using them as a mascot history will forget them? "We're doing this for your own good so history does not forget you". Reminds me of a parent telling a child that spanking them will hurt them more than the child.

• Downvote 5

I think the racist person in this whole thing is the person that assumed acting or dressing like a monkey is a reference to African-Americans. And I feel that way in almost any other situation where someone is accusing someone else of being racist.

Amen.

I know I sound like a broken record but the irony of the situation with the Sioux logo whereby the people saying that the tribal members don't know what's best for them and, therefore, should not be allowed to vote on the name and logo are the same people who call UND "hostile and abusive" for using the name and logo kills me.

When a majority group tells a minority group that using them as a mascot is honoring them and if they have to quite using them as a mascot history will forget them? "We're doing this for your own good so history does not forget you". Reminds me of a parent telling a child that spanking them will hurt them more than the child.

Exactly... kind of like when Spirit Lake voted for what's best for them -- keeping the Fighting Sioux name. Errr, wait a minute....

• Upvote 1

What is Racist? JESSE JACKSON & AL SHARPTON

There was a racial incident a couple months ago...don't remember what it was about. But both Fox and MSNBC had Sharpton on that night as the Elder Statesman/Voice of reason. And he actually did sound reasonable. I was impressed.

There was a racial incident a couple months ago...don't remember what it was about. But both Fox and MSNBC had Sharpton on that night as the Elder Statesman/Voice of reason. And he actually did sound reasonable. I was impressed.

Sharpton can actually be reasonable at times and is a funny guy...then he has to make money and do what he does.

Maybe the vote should have only allowed full blooded Lakota, Nakota, or Dakota to vote and not the Metis.

Actually, that would be a good thing and I am sure that's what happened. The Metis are half-French and half-Chippewa so I don't know how many Metis would be living on a Sioux indian reservation. The Metis, like Leigh Jeanotte, have no card to play in the Fighting Sioux nickname issue other than a personal agenda of racism and, probably, jealousy. The majority of the Sioux natives on both reservations are opposed to the PC Weltanschauung espoused by idiots like Jeanotte and Lloyd O. It's about majority will taking precedence over big mouths that propagandize hate and racism.

• Upvote 1

Wait a minute here ...

I've seen a guy in a Gumby suit and a guy in a green "body sock" at UND hockey games.

If the University of Mars shows up to play hockey, will UND be accused (because of those fans) of being racist to Martians? :0

Wait a minute here ...

I've seen a guy in a Gumby suit and a guy in a green "body sock" at UND hockey games.

If the University of Mars shows up to play hockey, will UND be accused (because of those fans) of being racist to Martians? :0

I saw guy in Gumby suit at the Final 5 last weekend standing outside the bar working on a heater....classic!

Implied in your statement is an undercurrent of "Who is more Indian than whom?"

And that question just reeks of ...

I am not the one who has been saying that the Lakota, Nakota, or Dakota should be allowed to vote that is you that has. So under your scenario then Metis should not have voted.

One of the (white) Tech band members was in black face and wore a black 'Afro' wig when we played them in Houghton 11/2009. I took a couple of pictures of him from across the ice.

really? that sounds like something you might see 60 years ago but not today. i have a hard time believing that somebody like that would make it safely to his seat in today's world. do you still have those pictures? this sounds fishy.