SiouxSports.com Forum

What Restaurants Would You Like to See in GF? No Chains!

lomackman

From everything I've witnessed, North Dakota is not a culinary hotspot by any means.

Start here:

-Authentic Mexican (Paradiso or that other place on Washtington...yuck!). Authentic Mexican food, made by Mexicans, is the bomb

-A good burger place. Do not tell me that there is one in Grand Forks, because that means you've never had a GOOD burger.

-Broasted Chicken. Italian Moon does have Broasted Chicken, but I think I'm probably the only person that ever had it there (and it wasn't too shabby). The only other person in GF I ever met who had broasted chicken was from Nebraska.

-A good Italian/Pasta place. Sure, there are restaurants that deal with Pasta, and I know Guiseppe's (sp?) is a higher-priced authentic Italian place, but I'm talking a decent mid-level price point Italian...like a Johnny Carino's.

Boardwalk bar and grill on the east side has pretty good burgers and the buns are from Dakota Harvest.

Also Mama Marias is on the East Side good Italian

And the new Little Bankock with thai and sushi

Babylon downtown for middle eastern food

I have traveled the world and these places are good knock offs. Being from Kansas we know our Beef!

And for a non chain place to make it here the folks in the area would need to eat there but everyone wants what Fargo or the Cities had because that is the what they know.

A Brazilian place would be awesome. Would also fit the area with the emphasis on red meat. This is a great place I've been to in both Denver and Salt Lake http://www.rodiziogrill.com/locations.cfm

A really good hot dog place would also be nice, especially in the summer. Perhaps using L&M product much like Jake's does with their Spikes.

The problem with a Brazilian BBQ place is the expence, I doubt the population would support a place like that because they are pretty expensive.

Real Tex/Mex doesn't work well in ND because people tend to like things more on the bland side... like Paradiso.

I have been gone from the area for a long time, but I think Kolaches would do well in GF.

kolaches

Those things don't even look like a kolache. Grandma use to make the best Kolches but then she was an old Bohemian.

They need a Joe Sensors! Chipotle would be good. Buca de Pepo. But the last ones are definately "chains."

Chipotle and Buca de Pepo would be awesome! Joe Sensors is nothing more than a sports bar, when i go to the cities joe sensors isn't one of the places that calls out for me to go and eat.

Yup....me too. My Grandma only made two kinds.....Apple and Prune. Needless to say, apple is my favorite.

I grew up in a Polish neighborhood in Chicago. There is a Polish pastry similar to kolache. I remember it sounded the same but was spelled differently (kolazki?). Very, very, tasty especially when they were still warm.

I grew up in a Polish neighborhood in Chicago. There is a Polish pastry similar to kolache. I remember it sounded the same but was spelled differently (kolazki?). Very, very, tasty especially when they were still warm.

Were they made from a sweet dough?

Were they made from a sweet dough?

There were different types; some were flakey like pastry and some were from a raised (yeast) dough. Different families made them in different ways. I went to a Catholic all girls HS in the neighborhood and all the nuns except two were Polish. We made them in Home Ec class and we made them with a yeast risen dough which was sweet. I never made them out of the class-room.

There were different types; some were flakey like pastry and some were from a raised (yeast) dough. Different families made them in different ways. I went to a Catholic all girls HS in the neighborhood and all the nuns except two were Polish. We made them in Home Ec class and we made them with a yeast risen dough which was sweet. I never made them out of the class-room.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Grand Forks city leaders approved a liquor license for Olive Garden on Monday, clearing the main obstacle for the restaurant chain to open in town.

Previously, city law required license applicants to seek the consent of existing license holders that are within 300 feet. City officials said it was meant to prevent a dangerous concentration of bars not block competition.

We all know the dangers of having bars close together! :silly:

I am almost positive Level 10 and Gillys Bar are closer than 300 feet.