SiouxSports.com Forum

FRATTIN 4 HOBEY

AZSIOUX

If you listen to the USCHO Hobey Podcast, it sounds like it is Miele's award to lose:

http://www.uscho.com/podcasts/2011/03/30/uscho-com-hobey-watch-2011-podcast-episode-11-hobey-hat-trick/

And as petey23 said, I would be alright with it too if Miele won the award. Do I want Frattin to win? Absolutely.

But with those two players so close, I think Frattin's past trips him up and it goes to Miele.

A deserving award to either of them though...

I agree with the person on another board who compared it to the Kevin Porter/Nate Gerbe situation in 08.

Gerbe was the one with the character issues. Porter was the clean one.

Porter won the Hobey, Gerbe single-handedly won BC the national championship.

I'm okay with this analogy if we get similar results.

Porter = Miele, Gerbe = Frattin :D

I agree with the person on another board who compared it to the Kevin Porter/Nate Gerbe situation in 08.

Gerbe was the one with the character issues. Porter was the clean one.

Porter won the Hobey, Gerbe single-handedly won BC the national championship.

I'm okay with this analogy if we get similar results.

Porter = Miele, Gerbe = Frattin :D

That must have been very painful to post. :D

That must have been very painful to post. :D

Absolutely not, Gerbe has quite the team credentials at BC...we want Matt to follow in those footsteps this year as a senior.

Gerbe is a Sioux killer (figuratively for you PC Nazi's), yes...but also an NCAA Champion and played in three National Championship games.

A runner-up to the award is no knock to either of the two who fall just a bit short.

Also, based on how the voting takes place, I don't see it possible for Frattin to win the award.

Voters rate their top 5 finalists 1 through 5. Not sure if the guy you pick to win gets a 1 or a 5, but either way, the guy with either the most points or least points win.

Going by that criteria, not one voter will likely put Miele any farther down than 2nd on their list. If even just a handful of people put Frattin farther down the list (or not on their list at all) he will lose a ton of ground just by those few voters...which I see as a very likely scenario.

It's tough to think that he won't win, but you have to be realistic in a situation like this, and I just don't think Frattin can win.

I sure hope I'm wrong!

It is a great honor for Frattin to in the final 3! But we aren't looking at a Panzer was robbed situation here if he doesn't win it...Miele has had a fantastic season and would be a great choice for the award as well. That said, I am pretty sure Frattin isn't giving the Hobey much thought right now, but he would be a very worthy winner as well.....had some problems sure, but his character in handling the matter and the direction he chose to take speaks volumes....you have to remember that many of the voters have only heard bits and pieces on most of the candidates.

Reaching 70 points in a season, which hasn't happened since 2003 (Senja, who also won the Hobey), is a pretty strong argument for Miele. Hoping Matt wins, but if even before this inside information, I felt it was Miele's to lose.

I'm sure Matt would be fine with the "consolation prize" of a national title on Saturday!

Reaching 70 points in a season, which hasn't happened since 2003 (Senja, who also won the Hobey), is a pretty strong argument for Miele. Hoping Matt wins, but if even before this inside information, I felt it was Miele's to lose.

I'm sure Matt would be fine with the "consolation prize" of a national title on Saturday!

That is impressive, but I saw Miele play for the 1st time this year when Miami lost in the regional. I'm big on stats for these awards, but I also believe in the "eyeball" test. He didn't pass it. Frattin IS the best player in college hockey and IMO I don't think that is arguable. Whether he wins the Hobey is another story, but if he doesn't people won't be saying Panzer got robbed any more!

That is impressive, but I saw Miele play for the 1st time this year when Miami lost in the regional. I'm big on stats for these awards, but I also believe in the "eyeball" test. He didn't pass it. Frattin IS the best player in college hockey and IMO I don't think that is arguable. Whether he wins the Hobey is another story, but if he doesn't people won't be saying Panzer got robbed any more!

I've been apprehensive about Miele winning because a) i think Frattin is the best player but they will use the past against him and b) it's hard for me to vouch for a guy when I've always thought his teammate Carter Camper is a better player. Not to say Miele's not a great player, but... those are just my thoughts.

I like how INCH didn't have a link to the other twos stat breakdowns (or a real breakdown comparing actual strength of schedule vs top and bottom teams in a league, when the leagues are not comparable) or a mention of atkinsons arrest... a$$clowns...

http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/2011/03/31/trackler_0926/

the hobey is a great honor, but lets hang #8! go sioux!!

Let's hope that UND also doesn't do what they did in St. Louis. IF our team isn't in the championship game, PLEASE DO NOT send them home. Let the team be there to support Matt at the Hobey ceremony. I thought that was one of the worst moves ever, when, after our loss to BC, they were sent home on the next plane, and Ryan Duncan was left there without any of his mates.

Let's hope that UND also doesn't do what they did in St. Louis. IF our team isn't in the championship game, PLEASE DO NOT send them home. Let the team be there to support Matt at the Hobey ceremony. I thought that was one of the worst moves ever, when, after our loss to BC, they were sent home on the next plane, and Ryan Duncan was left there without any of his mates.

I believe the NCAA sends them home, not UND. I think it's a policy or something.

I believe the NCAA sends them home, not UND. I think it's a policy or something.

My understanding is that the NCAA sets the rules and that once a team loses out, they are on the clock. I believe I have heard that they only have a matter of a couple of hours to get on the plane and head home. I would imagine this is to prevent any off-ice issues at the expense of the NCAA?

If the SIoux beat MI and Frattin gets slighted in the Hobey race, you can guarantee an NC$$ championship for your University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux.

I

That is the thought that just went through my head too. You want to talk about motivation ;)

That is the thought that just went through my head too. You want to talk about motivation ;)

yzerman19, on 30 March 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

If the SIoux beat MI and Frattin gets slighted in the Hobey race, you can guarantee an NC$$ championship for your University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux.

I

Didn't seem to work in '01 when "Panzer was robbed".

Go Fighting Sioux!!! Get #8!!!

yzerman19, on 30 March 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

I

Didn't seem to work in '01 when "Panzer was robbed".

Go Fighting Sioux!!! Get #8!!!

Minor detail.

Worked for Gerbe and BC in 08. :angry:

Past experience the losing team has 30 minutes to clear out the locker room and be heading to the airport thats what the Gophers were given in Grand Forks in 06. Oh for Ryan we (the band) stayed it was great and playing Stand Up and Cheer will they where announcing from the University of North Dakota Ryan Duncan was awesome.

North Dakota senior Matt Frattin is College Hockey News' 2011 Player of the Year

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2011/04/01_chn_player_of_the_year_matt.php

Here's the remainder of the 2010-11 All-CHN Teams:

FIRST TEAM

F Matt Frattin, Sr., North Dakota

F Cam Atkinson, Jr., Boston College

F Andy Miele, Sr., Miami

D Justin Schultz, Jr., Wisconsin

D Brian Dumoulin, So., Boston College

G Aaron Dell, So., North Dakota

SECOND TEAM

F Jack Connolly, Jr., Minnesota-Duluth

F Paul Thompson, Sr., New Hampshire

F Reilly Smith, So., Miami