SiouxSports.com Forum

Legislators trying to cut funding to higher education

dakotadan

Higher education funding cuts approved in North Dakota House

The House today voted 64-29 in favor of an amended higher education spending bill that would result in tuition increases and several cuts to the university system.

The cuts include:

- Removing $6.6 million intended to limit tuition increases, resulting in tuition increases of up to 4.1 percent. Gov. Jack Dalrymple proposed a tuition freeze for two-year schools and a cap on tuition increases of 2.5 percent for universities.

- Removing $10 million in equity funding. NDSU would have received the largest chunk of that funding at nearly $4.7 million.

- Removing $5 million that Dalrymple proposed for performance funding that would be allocated based on how campuses perform on certain measures, such as students graduating on time.

- Removing $8 million for the Valley City State University Rhoades Science Center, which the state Board of Higher Education made its No. 2 priority.

- Removing $8.8 million for a library at Dickinson State University that was included in Dalrymples budget.

The bill will now go to the Senate for additional work.

Maybe we could take 2 minutes away from the nickname issue and focus on an issue a little more pertinent to the university as a whole. It would be great if North Dakota residents would contact their legislators and tell them to properly fund our higher education system.

Vote for higher education budget cut ridiculous

Apparently a majority of the North Dakota House is unable to make the relatively simple calculation that adequate funding for the schools equals better faculty, more student opportunities and more research dollars that stimulate the regional economy. Their action suggests an appalling lack of vision, to say nothing of common sense.

THEIR OPINION: Vote for higher education budget cut ridiculous

The House voted 64-29 (one absent) to make draconian cuts in higher education.

In total, the amendments to the bill remove nearly $35 million from what the governor recommended for higher education, said Rep. Bob Skarphol, R-Tioga, chairman of the subcommittee that recommended the cuts.

Apparently draconian means approving a 4% budget increase instead of a 9% budget increase.

Spat over tuition, buildings in ND higher education budget plan - www.bismarcktribune.com

Dalrymple has proposed $648.2 million in state general fund support over two years for North Dakota's university system, which includes 11 public colleges. The figure represents a 9.3 percent increase over present spending levels.

House budget writers trimmed the amount to $615.4 million, an increase of almost 4 percent over present spending.

Or maybe draconian means a 74% budget increase over the course of four fiscal periods instead of a 78% budget increase over the course of four fiscal periods.

ND General Fund Distributions to Higher Ed Increase 78% Over 4 Fiscal Periods

According to information published by the North Dakota Legislative Council in their

Please someone explain how any of this is a "cut"? IMO getting less $$$ than one thought they were going to get or hoped to get is not a cut. If my math is correct it's still a $22M increase in spending from '09-'11.

Where can I sign up to get some of this "cut"?

THEIR OPINION: Vote for higher education budget cut ridiculous

Apparently draconian means approving a 4% budget increase instead of a 9% budget increase.

Spat over tuition, buildings in ND higher education budget plan - www.bismarcktribune.com

:glare:

Get back to work people.

Excellent.

So a time when the state has a $1 billion surplus and oil tax revenues are flowing in like never before, when North Dakota universities are markedly underfunded compared to their peer institutions, these guys want to bump up the two-year budget almost enough to cover inflation. Almost. Can't ask for much more than that, I guess.

Here's a thought: We could cut back the medical school to a two-year program. Those people certainly can transfer elsewhere to finish their educations, just like the old days, and we could save a boatload of cash.

:glare::silly:

Excellent.

So a time when the state has a $1 billion surplus and oil tax revenues are flowing in like never before, when North Dakota universities are markedly underfunded compared to their peer institutions, these guys want to bump up the two-year budget almost enough to cover inflation. Almost. Can't ask for much more than that, I guess.

Here's a thought: We could cut back the medical school to a two-year program. Those people certainly can transfer elsewhere to finish their educations, just like the old days, and we could save a boatload of cash.

And the "Medical School" is a seperately funded program--just sayin!!

Please someone explain how any of this is a "cut"? IMO getting less $$$ than one thought they were going to get or hoped to get is not a cut. If my math is correct it's still a $22M increase in spending from '09-'11.

Where can I sign up to get some of this "cut"?

The underlying issue is that the legislature is still torqued at the incompetence shown by the SBoHE and certain school's administrations, especially on a presidential house at a certain Ag college. Incompetence and corruption has effects, and sadly, they impact everyone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The underlying issue is that the legislature is still torqued at the incompetence shown by the SBoHE and certain school's administrations, especially on a presidential house at a certain Ag college. Incompetence and corruption has effects, and sadly, they impact everyone.

That's right star UND's house was right on budget and not a penny over! Which school wanted a new house to start with??

Shouldn't the title of this thread be:

"State Legislators Vote to Increase Higher Education Funding by 4%"

It should be ...."Legislators vote increase in higher education funding by 4% but leave universities underfunded and students carrying a bigger burden."

Some of this was nothing but a hit at NDSU lead by some legislators that have an axe to grind, but nothing that Skarphol does surprises me anymore. The man needs to go, his mission in life is to gut higher education.

It should be ...."Legislators vote increase in higher education funding by 4% but leave universities underfunded and students carrying a bigger burden."

Some of this was nothing but a hit at NDSU lead by some legislators that have an axe to grind, but nothing that Skarphol does surprises me anymore. The man needs to go, his mission in life is to gut higher education.

“I think we’re generous, probably beyond what we should be, until they indicate a willingness to change,” Skarphol said.

This is what bothers me the most. What does the above quote mean? If the committee did a thorough analysis and based on good information made the recommendations than say so. Its clear based on a quote like this that this is personal for him.

And why is a legislator from Tioga with no degree of any kind, chairman of House Education Approps?

Shouldn't the title of this thread be:

"State Legislators Vote to Increase Higher Education Funding by 4%"

+1 to you.

I realize our ND schools are underfunded to an extent, but the higher ed system is still getting a healthy bump here. The fact that it isn't as much as they wanted doesn't by any stretch constitute a "cut". To use the word "cut(s)" is a total misrepresentation of the facts and is misleading to the general public when university leadership and others talk on this topic.

Excellent.

I get it. You took offense to my opinion that the editors use of draconian to describe a 5% budget "cut" was ridiculous. Melodramatic. And because I am a physician you thought you could return fire by suggesting that the UNDSOMHS take a budget cut. Call or write your ND state representative and/or senator and make it so.

You may find the following report to be of interest...Financing Public Higher Education - How Does North Dakota Compare?

Depending on your point of view you are certain to find statistics or comments within the report to validate your position...here is mine:

The North Dakota University System is among the top five performers relative to the level of funding.

Should state higher education budgets be compared based on absolute dollars spent or per capita spending? Depending on your answer the NDUS is either underfunded or overfunded in comparison to its peers.

It's official Skarphol has no idea what he is doing....

His quote on the Centers of Excellence....

Tioga Rep. Bob Skarphol says the program should be halted to allow lawmakers to assess whether it's successful, and whether it can grow on its own.

The facts...

"As of June 30, 2010, $26.2 million in state funds has been spent with $406.5 in estimated total economic impact to North Dakota's economy."

http://www.commerce.nd.gov/centers/

That's right star UND's house was right on budget and not a penny over! Which school wanted a new house to start with??

Bison Dan:

I actually thought of your postings when seeing this quote in the news:

Qaddafi said el Qaeda forces had given hallucinogenic drugs to youth in [bisonville] — "in their coffee with milk, like Nescafe" — to get them to incite unrest. ...
;)

I get it. You took offense to my opinion that the editors use of draconian to describe a 5% budget "cut" was ridiculous. Melodramatic. And because I am a physician you thought you could return fire by suggesting that the UNDSOMHS take a budget cut. Call or write your ND state representative and/or senator and make it so.

You may find the following report to be of interest...Financing Public Higher Education - How Does North Dakota Compare?

Depending on your point of view you are certain to find statistics or comments within the report to validate your position...here is mine:

Should state higher education budgets be compared based on absolute dollars spent or per capita spending? Depending on your answer the NDUS is either underfunded or overfunded in comparison to its peers.

Nah, I took offense -- or rather was disappointed -- in your implication we should be satisfied with a 4 percent increase in higher ed funding when the state has the resources to do so much better. And I mention the medical school because we're both physicians and should acknowledge, while we're being critical of requests for funding, that we've personally benefitted much more than most from earlier decisions to fund very expensive educational programs in the state.

Thanks for posting the link to the "Financing Public Higher Education" report. I agree, a lot of good info there and a lot of ammo for debating whatever your position. Personally, though, I don't find a lot of solace in the fact we do a pretty good job with substandard resources. I think it's hard to argue we're over funded when per-student funding is 44 to 88 percent behind peer institutions. Unfortunately, North Dakotans seems to be stuck with a 1980s something-for-nothing mindset;. We want a system that allows all our kids access to higher education; we just don't want to pay a fair price for it.

As to your objections to the term "draconian" to describe these cuts, I agree. But then no one ever accused The Forum's editorial page of being short on hyperbole.

N.D. legislators propose education overhaul

This is what happens when you spend money like a drunken sailor...you can lose your power and control

Folks, Al Carlson's "Sioux moniker" bill was the opening salvo in this battle, a nice little ruse, a trial balloon to see if his real motive would get traction.

This is the real Al Carlson bomb on this session: He wants to take control of education in ND, from K through post-doctorate, directly into the Legislature.

• State Superintendent of Schools? Nope. Political appointee.
  • ND SBoHE? Nope. 11 member board looking at all K-Higher Ed.
  • And elimination of college names from the state constitution to boot.

Out of all of that, I guess I sort of agree with the last point.

Folks, Al Carlson's "Sioux moniker" bill was the opening salvo in this battle, a nice little ruse, a trial balloon to see if his real motive would get traction.

This is the real Al Carlson bomb on this session: He wants to take control of education in ND, from K through post-doctorate, directly into the Legislature.

• State Superintendent of Schools? Nope. Political appointee.
  • ND SBoHE? Nope. 11 member board looking at all K-Higher Ed.
  • And elimination of college names from the state constitution to boot.

Out of all of that, I guess I sort of agree with the last point.

The ND constitutional amendment has been proposed.