SiouxSports.com Forum

Legislators trying to cut funding to higher education

dakotadan

Yes, yes he is.

Also, I am wondering whether the MD posters on this thread take the same position on spending "cuts" relative to medicaid and medicare reimbursment??? :(

I take the same position on Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement.

In case no one has noticed this country is $14 TRILLION (and counting) in debt. IMO...everyone needs to take a cut. Education (my spouse). Healthcare (me). Military (me). Everyone (me).

Have a good one and GO SIOUX!

Folks, Al Carlson's "Sioux moniker" bill was the opening salvo in this battle, a nice little ruse, a trial balloon to see if his real motive would get traction.

This is the real Al Carlson bomb on this session: He wants to take control of education in ND, from K through post-doctorate, directly into the Legislature.

• State Superintendent of Schools? Nope. Political appointee.
  • ND SBoHE? Nope. 11 member board looking at all K-Higher Ed.
  • And elimination of college names from the state constitution to boot.

Out of all of that, I guess I sort of agree with the last point.

The State Board of Higher Education has done a terrible job. I don't think this particular proposal is all that good, but something has to change. Tuition is skyrocketing, state support of higher education is skyrocketing* much more than that, but still the schools are crying that they don't have enough money.

Something is wrong.

*60% increase in the last two sessions alone. If you count the house bill it will be up 75% over the three sessions.

The State Board of Higher Education has done a terrible job. I don't think this particular proposal is all that good, but something has to change. Tuition is skyrocketing, state support of higher education is skyrocketing* much more than that, but still the schools are crying that they don't have enough money.

Something is wrong.

*60% increase in the last two sessions alone. If you count the house bill it will be up 75% over the three sessions.

State support of higher ed = lower tuition, or at least controlling it. Gov. D's proposad budget called for a influx of monies to ND colleges and universities which, had it not been cut by the house, would have "froze" tuition for at least two years.

State support of higher ed = lower tuition, or at least controlling it. Gov. D's proposad budget called for a influx of monies to ND colleges and universities which, had it not been cut by the house, would have "froze" tuition for at least two years.

That six million set to "freeze" tuition wouldn't have been what I would have cut. Helping out the kids is my only priority when it comes down to higher ed.

But even so that's only pittance compared to the over all funding increase in the House Bill. I think there is money there for the NDUS to put off any tuition increase. They will increase it though because in my opinion they only care about the administration and faculties.

That six million set to "freeze" tuition wouldn't have been what I would have cut. Helping out the kids is my only priority when it comes down to higher ed.

But even so that's only pittance compared to the over all funding increase in the House Bill. I think there is money there for the NDUS to put off any tuition increase. They will increase it though because in my opinion they only care about the administration and faculties.

I agree. It seems as though there is that constant whine coming from that corner--kinda like the sqeaky wheel gets the oil. Student concerns are brushed off in a "oh, what do they know" fashion.

• 1 month later...

Two articles on Higher Ed.

N.D. Senate approves $645 million higher ed budget

Holmberg called the budget a reasonable compromise between those who want to invest more in higher education and those who think spending has spun out of control. He compared the Senate's preferred spending plan to Goldilocks' third bowl of porridge, calling it "the correct and balanced approach."

"There are those who find this budget too hot, too rich, too much money," Holmberg said. "There are those here ... who feel that this budget doesn't invest enough in higher education. Give us more."

The second is from South Dakota. In an effort to balance the budget programs are being cut at some of the colleges..... Ax falls on SDSU's park manager program

This impacts UND in that some of those students/instructors may end up at UND...

He said he will tell students in the program to consider Minnesota State University in Mankato or the University of North Dakota.

"I have already invited the UND faculty to come down and pitch to my students," Stubbles said.