SiouxSports.com Forum

House Bill to Save the Sioux Passes 65 to 28.

The Whistler

HB1263, instructing the State Board of Higher Education to keep the Fighting Sioux Nickname, just passed the state House by a 65 – 28 vote. HB1263 was sponsored by House Majority Leader Al Carlson. Other Sioux-related bills, HB1257 and HB1208 both failed by wide margins obviously because the House found consensus behind Carlson’s bill.

“This isn’t the most important bill this session,” said Rep. Carlson. “But it’s important to a lot of people.”

Opponents to the bill, including Grand Forks’ Rep. Elliot Glassheim, called it legislative overreach. He argues, as Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem does, that the state legislature doesn’t have the authority to pass this legislation.

The rest of the article is at Say Anything Blog.

I guess the question is will it pass the Senate?

Maybe the state could have just asked Standing Rock to have a vote. These guys don't have anything better to do than try and hang on to something that is really not something that should be in Senate. This is like steroids and baseball, old men putting their power somewhere it doesn't belong.

Not a chance, That was cause too much media attention on the NCAA...They will say UND can't host NCAA postseason tournaments, and to be honest I can live with that.

What if I know a lot of what ifs but what if they put harsher sanctions on UND like recruiting (scholarships), a postseason ban, plus forbidding teams to play us. I don't think the NCAA is going to take this lying down.

Everyone says its damaging to the student athletes if we keep it. Well how is it damaging? Kelley doesnt want the nickname cuz he siad is damaging to others. What is it damaging?

Thank god we have an active house who isnt scared to take on the NCAA

Also what post season tournaments can we have held anyway?

The hockey regionals arent at home arenas anymore. Is thebig sky tournmanents at the end of the year ncaa or are they big sky? WCHA palyofs ncaa or are they wcha ran?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I highly doubt the NC$$ would take away scholarships, recrutiing tools, etc etc. why would they? just cuz we stood up to them about OUR nickname?

Is there anyway that the house/senate could force standing rock to have a vote? if it goes either way id be fine with that. If thelke it, we got both the tribes approbval. If they dont, do away with the nickname. LET THE MAJORITY SPEAK!

Everyone says its damaging to the student athletes if we keep it. Well how is it damaging? Kelley doesnt want the nickname cuz he siad is damaging to others. What is it damaging?

Thank god we have an active house who isnt scared to take on the NCAA

Also what post season tournaments can we have held anyway?

The hockey regionals arent at home arenas anymore. Is thebig sky tournmanents at the end of the year ncaa or are they big sky? WCHA palyofs ncaa or are they wcha ran?

We have a football team that is playoff eligible in 2012. Any playoff game that does not include a top 4 seed goes to the homesite of the highest bidder. All things equal, we wouldn't be outbid very often.

I highly doubt the NC$$ would take away scholarships, recrutiing tools, etc etc. why would they? just cuz we stood up to them about OUR nickname?

Is there anyway that the house/senate could force standing rock to have a vote? if it goes either way id be fine with that. If thelke it, we got both the tribes approbval. If they dont, do away with the nickname. LET THE MAJORITY SPEAK!

To get back at UND. We are members of their association. We have to play by their rules. We had 3 years before the deadline per the lawsuit settlement to get 2 tribal approvals and failed. Game over. I will say the NCAA wins this until its printed that the NCAA will take UND off the sanctions list which we are a little more than a senate vote away from going back on that list. And just remember hockey fans for road playoff games...we will only be known as North Dakota not the Fighting Sioux plus the Sioux hockey jerseys will be replaced by a plain ol North Dakota jersey.

yeh top 4 seeds lol dont htink we will be that close that soon. by the time we get to a top 4 seed, i think this nickname dispute will be settled and ncaa would want to avoid negative press.

lets be hones here the football program is just a cylinder at this university and HOCKEY is the oil that runs the cylinder. if no hockey (no oil) then the motor blows up.

if u think im wrong, go look at the financial statements. football loses money and hockey covers for it.

We have a football team that is playoff eligible in 2012. Any playoff game that does not include a top 4 seed goes to the homesite of the highest bidder. All things equal, we wouldn't be outbid very often.

Its not a matter of being able to outbid someone. Its the fact that the NCAA will not allow us to host a home playoff game if we continue using the nickname and logo. That is why this is so damaging to the athletes. Add in the fact that we will start to see schools who won't want to schedule us because of this entire nickname-circus and its punishing the entire Athletic Department

This is absolutely WONDERFUL news!!!!! Good job ND House. Now, let's hope the Senate does the same thing. Curious how the anti-nicknamers claim, "this isn't the biggest issue, so why is the legislature focusing on it." Yet, those same anti-nicknamers rant and rave against the nickname so it's plenty big to them. Like Al Carlson said, "it's not the biggest issue but it is a big issue to a lot of people." Awesome work Al!.

Its not a matter of being able to outbid someone. Its the fact that the NCAA will not allow us to host a home playoff game if we continue using the nickname and logo. That is why this is so damaging to the athletes. Add in the fact that we will start to see schools who won't want to schedule us because of this entire nickname-circus and its punishing the entire Athletic Department

I wasnt clear. My point was that without the NCAA restrictions, UND has playoff hosting opportunities. There seems to be a view here that not hosting playoff events at UND is just fine. I'm quite confident that Coach Mussman and his 20 brand new recruits would not agree.