SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Da Huskies

LeftyZL

Huge three points for the sioux! Half way through the final 8 game stretch of the year with a 3-0-1 record. The ball is 100% in their court to win the WCHA league championship. Get a sweep against the Beavs next weekend, and then close it out in Houghton.

Just got back from St. Cloud.

The referees can not be pleased with their effort this weekend. Capricous is the best way I can describe them. Worse than most high school refs in Minnesota.

Daddy Shep will slap them on the wrist and say "As long as you learned something, then that's fine."

And despite the pay, that's why being a ref in the WCHA is such a good gig. You can screw up all you want (provided you don't pull a Randy Schmidt) and the worst thing that will happen to you is that you may either get fewer assignments or you'll be suspended for a month with pay.

That's why I'm calling it "Getting Daddy Shep'd" when the administration at work does something inept. Direct Translation? "Incompetent administration"

As well as last week's series was officiated IMO, this weekend was the complete opposite. Shep is a total embarrassment, but unfortunately he is the "gold" standard for this league...pathetic.

I thought Brad (33) was in SC. Older brother Derek (3) is the "gold standard". :silly:

So if we finish 3-1 against MTU and BSU to end the season, the Macnaughton is ours...I say we sweep out, then we'd be riding a 9 game unbeaten streak into a home ice first round playoff series against Tech.

In crunching the numbers, it would take a serious collapse along with some other strange events for us to not get a first round bye at the final five.

We are also now all but guaranteed a bid to the NCAAs, although our seed is still up in the air. Most of the top teams end up playing each other in the conference tourneys, so there are a lot of H2H and TUC ramifications.

All in all, the Sioux have been doing the job so far, but the stakes just keep getting bigger...

Get a sweep against the Beavs next weekend, ...

Actually, ...

I believe if what you say happens (UND 39 pts), and

CC gets a point or more at home v. UMD (making UMD's max 39), and

UNO/DU split or UNO gets 3 points max (making DU's max 39 and UNO's max 38 or 39) ...

... well, figure out what to watch Sunday afternoon ... ;)

Basically, most simply, hope for CC getting at least a point and a DU/UNO split (or UNO with W&T).

But it all hinges on UND sweeping.

Control what's yours to control boys.

Then go for a skate. ;)

Mediocre team best positioned to make a serious NCAA run: Wisconsin.

Their defensive style is highly effective in a one and done setting...

Regional is in nearby Green Bay...

They are a team that I want no part of, especially in Green Bay.

Can the Sioux do the Mac, the Broadmoor, and the NCAA? History says that's a tough one...

Sioux barrier to #8: a fairly anemic pp, that needs to change for the tourney...

Sioux could very likely go into the post season with all six of the top six forwards having scored double digits in goals...that's some good balanced scoring.

I watched some of the Red Menace of the West versus Goldie this weekend on the channel surf. They just didn't seem to have energy. They were disinterested against the border battle rival.

I see UND, DU, UMD, and UNO in the top four.

UM has the best schedule to finish fifth (MTU, @BSU).

I suspect CC and UW will be battling it out at Kohl the last weekend for the last home ice and probably the right to host a CC/UW opening round playoff series.

Just got back from St. Cloud.

The referees can not be pleased with their effort this weekend. Capricous is the best way I can describe them. Worse than most high school refs in Minnesota.

I only wish I had been there to see the capriciousness first hand on Saturday night, but Friday night's reffing was questionable at best.

Sounds like a gutty road win for the Sioux, and a key to bringing home the MacNaughton Cup.

Sweep the Beavers!!!

Their defensive style is highly effective in a one and done setting...

Regional is in nearby Green Bay...

They are a team that I want no part of, especially in Green Bay.

Can the Sioux do the Mac, the Broadmoor, and the NCAA? History says that's a tough one...

Sioux barrier to #8: a fairly anemic pp, that needs to change for the tourney...

Sioux could very likely go into the post season with all six of the top six forwards having scored double digits in goals...that's some good balanced scoring.

UW wasn't that impressive on Friday. Their D was mediocre and Gudmanson was exposed for what he really is all along: A mediocre goaltender in a great defensive system. Put Gudmanson on BSU or UNO or MSUM or even UMN and he'd be a punch line.

I thought Brad (33) was in SC. Older brother Derek (3) is the "gold standard". :silly:

You would be correct, Brad aka Baby Shep was in St. Cloud.

Derek is Shep and actually as far as WCHA refs go is not that bad, he is actually fairly decent......Baby bro would be the one who told Eaves that it wasn't a hit to the head if it was the face and not the head.

I don't doubt that UW looked mediocre...hence why I referred to them as such in my post.

My rationale is all about the system and the potential for almost home ice.

UW is built to get two powerplay goals and sit back in their system and win a 2-1 game.

I don't fear the Badgers, but they can certainly overachieve in a one and done tourney...a couple unfortunate penalties, a lucky bounce...next thing you know they have a lead and good luck getting some offense going.