SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

We'll have some work to do upfront as well regarding protection but yes, I am excited. Our passing production from last year has no where to go but up. Beings our best WR's were Sophmore, Sophmore, Freshmen and we had a young o-line dealing with injuries all season starting game one, along with the addition of what will hopefully be improvement at qb, I think our passing game will improve. There is a lot to be excited about with what should be a better offense.

When was the last time if ever we were a passing team?? Back in the Kurt Otto era?

..if UND can get a duel threat (we have the running part down) we will unstoppable in the BSC and the PLAYOFFS!!!

Not to start a fight but "you have the running part down"? I picked 2 games from last year Sioux Falls 50 attempts 2.2 av. USD 29 attempts 1.4 av. I don't see how you can say you have a good running team? I like your enthusiasm as a fan but sometime realism has to over rule it. Playoffs? Hell we have most of our team back and with what I know of the MVC teams next year (which will all be better-except USD) I wouldn't say NDSU has a lock on the playoffs.

I still think we will be a run first team but with an improved passing game hopefully it opens some things up. Last year it didn't take long for teams to figure out we struggled throwing the ball. It wasn't due to lack of talent outside, it was inconsistency from the qb. I think the coaches did their best to address that.

Not to start a fight but "you have the running part down"? I picked 2 games from last year Sioux Falls 50 attempts 2.2 av. USD 29 attempts 1.4 av. I don't see how you can say you have a good running team? I like your enthusiasm as a fan but sometime realism has to over rule it. Playoffs? Hell we have most of our team back and with what I know of the MVC teams next year (which will all be better-except USD) I wouldn't say NDSU has a lock on the playoffs.

Sutton 105 vs Drake

Miller 145 and 3TDs at FBS Fresno State

Miller 181 vs BHSU, Garmin had 93 in that game (2 TD's each)

Miller 161 2TD's at Southern Utah

Miller 152 4TD's vs Montana Western

Miller 92 vs Cal Poly

Pretty good numbers...RUSHING!!

147.9/game tied for 62nd with Hampton in the FCS.

'

216 with a 5.5 average at Fresno. Jake Miller had 961 yards and 13 TD's even though for half the season apposing defenses knew that even a slant was testing the outer limits of Joey Bradley's arm strength. After the first 4 games teams were putting 8 in the box all day and asking us to pass on them, which didn't usually go well.

Article in the paper today said UND is emphisizing on passing...if UND can get a duel threat (we have the running part down) we will unstoppable in the BSC and the PLAYOFFS!!! Is it me or is anyone else here excited for the season to start. I want it to be September!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Optimism is one thing, but using words like unstoppable is quite another, especially when we will be moving up to one of the best conferences in FCS. Many fans were calling for Mussman's head last year, probably you included, so even if you have the talent, it still needs to be in the right spots and execute the game plan, that is if the game plan is good. Besides that, most of these guys that are making people excited for the future won't be playing next year. I would temper the enthusiasm a bit, otherwise the unrealistic expectations could make next year less enjoyable, even if they perform well in their first year of the Big Sky.

So, since it appears that we are looking for a LB and one more OL, here's a list of people I can't find any commitment info on.

LB Bennett Goff - found an article stating he didn't sign yesterday and is taking a visit this coming weekend before deciding. Could visit be to UND?

LB Tyler Fahey

LB Grant Taylor (although he suffered a very bad concussion/seizure in a game last October - maybe isn't playing FB anymore)

OL James Anderson (read an article that it appears that he had a torn hamstring around the championship game time - maybe not an option)

OL Ryan Dahl - don't know much about him but has size (6'9" 280). Can't find that he signed anywhere, although maybe he is going to be a BB player.

Can't really find any other offensive lineman that didn't sign anywhere or have us in the finalists.

Optimism is one thing, but using words like unstoppable is quite another, especially when we will be moving up to one of the best conferences in FCS. Many fans were calling for Mussman's head last year, probably you included, so even if you have the talent, it still needs to be in the right spots and execute the game plan, that is if the game plan is good. Besides that, most of these guys that are making people excited for the future won't be playing next year. I would temper the enthusiasm a bit, otherwise the unrealistic expectations could make next year less enjoyable, even if they perform well in their first year of the Big Sky.

Think about it...if our offense had a solid passing game along with a good running game it would keep defenses guessing. Look at our rushing last year great the first part of the year until defenses knew we couldn't pass worth a damn so they moved more into the box and shut down our running game and made us pass. It worked to some degree. But if we had solid passing to start the year (remember most including me thought Bradley was the answer) and used that scheme all year we may have beaten Idaho, and Fresno, and Cal Poly. Especially Cal Poly and Fresno. I blame our defense more towards the Idaho loss. IMO we blow SD Mines away. Then if we can put up big numbers on PSU in our BSC debut (altough non-conference) we may start to get some respect among BSC fans. Right now the only fans that do respect us in the BSC is former GWFC teams and maybe UNC. Sac St fans don't think much of us, EW sees us as NDSU minus the mascot, and Montana has no fear whatsoever. So we need to come out in this conference and start exploding on these teams both on the ground and in the air....and get some respect!

So, since it appears that we are looking for a LB and one more OL, here's a list of people I can't find any commitment info on. LB Bennett Goff - found an article stating he didn't sign yesterday and is taking a visit this coming weekend before deciding. Could visit be to UND? LB Tyler Fahey LB Grant Taylor (although he suffered a very bad concussion/seizure in a game last October - maybe isn't playing FB anymore) OL James Anderson (read an article that it appears that he had a torn hamstring around the championship game time - maybe not an option) OL Ryan Dahl - don't know much about him but has size (6'9" 280). Can't find that he signed anywhere, although maybe he is going to be a BB player. Can't really find any other offensive lineman that didn't sign anywhere or have us in the finalists.

I am quite sure that Anderson did sign with Mankato.

"Edgy Tim" has released a list of the five signees from the state of Illinois he considered to be the biggest steals. According to an SFI tweet, a UND signee is included, although I don't have a subscription and don't know which one. Probably Golloday?

It is Ryan Bartels-his picture is on the homepage.. Golladay should be on there too but am not sure either.

It is Ryan Bartels-his picture is on the homepage.. Golladay should be on there too but am not sure either.

Do we have a "James" in the pipeline? Bartels and James for the TD!!!!

It is nice to have 2 great QB's, but man, there could be some really tough battles in spring and fall ball between Bartels and Mollberg.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mollberg scored 20 in first round loss to DeLaSalle. Lakers couldn't get outside game going and LaBatt had some foul trouble and wasn't a factor offensively. Labatt rebounded well and outjumped the 6' 6" kid for the opening tip off by about 4 inches. He is a grat athlete and brings some options for where to play him.

On a sad note, Mollberg's cousin fell off a horse yesterday and was flown to twin cities with serious head injury. Keep her in your prayers.

• 4 weeks later...