SiouxSports.com Forum

What are the Building Blocks?

star2city

With all the negative talk, it gets old and only generates pessimism. Obviously, there were problem areas in the program this year: notably QB play, no WR depth, pass defense, and OL play. The focus should be on 2012-13 and our first Big Sky season.

What are the positives to build upon:

RB: Murray, Sutton

WR: Hardin, McGill, Townsend?

OL: Still young - getting more depth

DL: Still young - developing

LB: Goetz, Goodman - even more depth coming

DB: has athleticism - needs coaching

Kicking: good

TE: two promising freshman TE's

I think we have a lot of young talent. It started to show around the end of the year with some of the younger players getting more involved. After taking a look at the season statistics here are my thoughts on next years positions.

QB: Need to find a suitable replacement for Jake Landry. Is it Goska? I don't think so, running QB's are a nice substitue to have but not full time starters. Hendrickson? Maybe. has a strong arm and appears to be very athletic. Needs to work on accuracy. A freshman? No clue. We will find out after spring ball. May need to look at bringing in a juco QB, sooner than later. Combined Goska and Hendrickson had a completion percentage of around 44%.

RB: In my opinion our strongest position. Murray, Sutton, and Miller. All three averaged over 5 yards per carry.

WR: Hardin is a major threat. Very difficult for him this year with the lack of another suitable option, whether it's a possesion receiver or another big play threat. RJ McGill started to get more involved near the end of the season, good to see him have more success at that point. Only 1 other returning WR had a catch, Anderson. I would expect Townsend and Heimler to add some depth. I'm actually not to worried abou tthis position if we can get a QB to deliver them the ball.

TE: who knows. It appears we don't use TE much anymore. It will be interesting to see how the young guys fit into our offense.

OL: PLeasently surprised by how this group played all year long. Other than the first game of the year I thought they provided our QB's with an ample amount of time in the pass game and opened holes for our RB, as evident by the 5+ yards per carry average.

DL: It's going to hurt loosing boyle but I think we will have replacements to step in. Benjamin will have to fill his role, he saw a lot of playing time this year however. Brenneman is a stud. Who is our other D end going to be?

LB: Inside it looks like we have a couple players in goertz and that kid from cali(can't remember his name right now). Hendrickson is a beast and will be our STUD on defense. Outside we've lost a couple players in kasowski and cochran but I think we have a couple really athletic players in bennet and andrews. I've also heard good things about that cordero finley.

CB: LIked what I saw in the athletic ability of our young corners. We need them to step up and make more plays for this defense. Not sure what happened to Kenny Watkins, haven't heard much about him. Is he still on the team?

Safety: Big loss with ankenbauer and schwenzfier leaving. Belotti got a lot of playing time hopefully he is able to step into one of those roles, probably strong safety, but who is going to play the free position? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that stands out. Merserou(spelling)?

Special teams: Surprisingly this was our concern going into this season. But ended up being one of our strongest teams, and kept is close in some games. The punter is excellent and our kicker impressed me for a freshman(almost hitting a 58 yard field goal!)

I'm excited for spring ball already after this season.

Go Sioux

In my mind it all boils down to QB play. The good teams at this level have consistent QB play that play within a system and don't hurt a team. Teams that have turned around this year started it with an improvement at the QB spot. I think we can get all the talent we want at other positions but if the QB play continues to hurt us a dramatic improvement next year is unlikely.

In my mind it all boils down to QB play. The good teams at this level have consistent QB play that play within a system and don't hurt a team. Teams that have turned around this year started it with an improvement at the QB spot. I think we can get all the talent we want at other positions but if the QB play continues to hurt us a dramatic improvement next year is unlikely.

QB and offensive line are some the keys.. but you need a qb coach and offensive coordinator to go with it. With the parity in FCS, I also see depth on the roster as an achilles heal of many teams. NDSU had to dress a running back as a linebacker last year with all the injuries we had. UND will find that the Big Sky will be a very physical conference and that the key to winning will be depth. NDSU found out the hard way last year.

UND was a dropped pass from beating Northern Illinois at NIU.

UND was a missed FG from beating Cal-Poly at CP.

Where the struggles really began is when Jake Landry went down.

Jake seemed to be fine running the pistol.

Like I've said, Comes or Demler had better be pistol QBs or this won't get any better. And yes, I'll live with the "learning curve" of a redshirt freshman QB. Let that person and the WR corps all mature together.

This program, like most other FCS programs, comes down to 1 position...QB.

You have to find a QB that can make plays when needed and not be a turnover machine.

Defensive and special teams will keep you in games, i.e. at Montana, but you have to have someone leading the offensive that will rise to the occasion when called to do so.

UND was a dropped pass from beating Northern Illinois at NIU.

UND was a missed FG from beating Cal-Poly at CP.

Where the struggles really began is when Jake Landry went down. Jake seemed to be fine running the pistol.

Like I've said, Comes or Demler had better be pistol QBs or this won't get any better. And yes, I'll live with the "learning curve" of a redshirt freshman QB. Let that person and the WR corps all mature together.

Agree 100 percent. .

Gotta believe Mussman is talking JUCO QB to have someone in house with actual collegiate game experience to compete for the starting job. It seems UND has always valued seasoning; I can't remember anyone tabbed as the starter at UND in 20 years (although I'm sure I'm forgetting someone) who wasn't at least a junior. That said, I think it's improbable that both Demler and Comes could be "busts." Don't know much about Comes, but he looked to throw well on his recruiting video. Demler was tabbed as the #1 or #2 QB in Wisconsin the year we recruited him, with analysts saying he was 2 inches in height away from being an FBS/BCS recruit.

And FWIW, talk on, ahem, "another" board is that UND may be in Bismarck this week visiting and perhaps offering Bismarck Century QB Carson Wentz.

QB and offensive line are some the keys.. but you need a qb coach and offensive coordinator to go with it. With the parity in FCS, I also see depth on the roster as an achilles heal of many teams. NDSU had to dress a running back as a linebacker last year with all the injuries we had. UND will find that the Big Sky will be a very physical conference and that the key to winning will be depth. NDSU found out the hard way last year.

Thanks for your concern...lose the Avatar and you may earn a bit of respect on this board. :glare:

• Upvote 1

Agree 100 percent. .

Gotta believe Mussman is talking JUCO QB to have someone in house with actual collegiate game experience to compete for the starting job. It seems UND has always valued seasoning; I can't remember anyone tabbed as the starter at UND in 20 years (although I'm sure I'm forgetting someone) who wasn't at least a junior. That said, I think it's improbable that both Demler and Comes could be "busts." Don't know much about Comes, but he looked to throw well on his recruiting video. Demler was tabbed as the #1 or #2 QB in Wisconsin the year we recruited him, with analysts saying he was 2 inches in height away from being an FBS/BCS recruit.

And FWIW, talk on, ahem, "another" board is that UND may be in Bismarck this week visiting and perhaps offering Bismarck Century QB Carson Wentz.

Kelby Klosterman was a three-year starter, as was Kevin Klancher, but you're definitely correct that starting for more than two years has been the exception rather than the rule. I'm concerned that throwing a young quarterback to the wolves too early could damage his confidence. If we had an exceptional defense returning, more of a consistent running game, and more experienced receivers, it would be one thing, but this team probably can't win a lot of games with a "manage the game" quarterback, and realistically that's probably the best that could be expected from a freshman.

Kelby Klosterman was a three-year starter, as was Kevin Klancher, but you're definitely correct that starting for more than two years has been the exception rather than the rule. I'm concerned that throwing a young quarterback to the wolves too early could damage his confidence. If we had an exceptional defense returning, more of a consistent running game, and more experienced receivers, it would be one thing, but this team probably can't win a lot of games with a "manage the game" quarterback, and realistically that's probably the best that could be expected from a freshman.

Thanks for the reminder. I didn't recall Klancher as a second-year starter. I do remember, however, my satisfaction in going to a Fargodome restroom at half time, after Klancher came in for an injured Clay Wagner and promptly threw a looong TD pass, and listening to an old geezer in a team-maker's jacket complain that they knocked out the starter "and the new guy's better than the first one." As (almost) always, we won. :)

Thanks for the reminder. I didn't recall Klancher as a second-year starter. I do remember, however, my satisfaction in going to a Fargodome restroom at half time, after Klancher came in for an injured Clay Wagner and promptly threw a looong TD pass, and listening to an old geezer in a team-maker's jacket complain that they knocked out the starter "and the new guy's better than the first one." As (almost) always, we won. :)

That was the only game I ever attended in the Fargodome. I guess I picked a pretty good one. :)

Is he the best QB in Bismarck?

I watched the Gibson kid from BHS and had flashbacks to Jake Landry at GFC: (for HS) Big body, big arm, poised demeanor and posture.

So you're saying that a redshirt freshman came into a pressure packed situation and performed, and we have a sophomore and junior that don't seem to be able to find a wide open receiver in games that at this point are essentially meaningless to this season? I don't want to degrade the players too much, but being in the program for a few years should result in at least being able to move the offense in spurts.

Once UND starts the Big Sky conference schedule, they will see why depth is do important. Look at Southern Illinois and Dave Lennon, they've been decimated with injuries this year. Playoffs and conference title last year and the next out of contention.. NDSU was plagued with injuries last year and it was very noticable on defense with our LBs.. the quality of football in the Big Sky and MVFC will take their toll. Depth will be the key..

Once UND starts the Big Sky conference schedule, they will see why depth is do important. Look at Southern Illinois and Dave Lennon, they've been decimated with injuries this year. Playoffs and conference title last year and the next out of contention.. NDSU was plagued with injuries last year and it was very noticable on defense with our LBs.. the quality of football in the Big Sky and MVFC will take their toll. Depth will be the key..

I see you've changed your avatar...perhaps the previous one was better than your current one ;):silly:

J/K...and thanks...we see enough of those things on bv, don't need them here.

Agree that depth is something UND will need to build. But first things first, and that is to recruit kids who can play at this level. He has brought some young talent in. My concern is that he is able to develop that talent to play at the FCS level.

I see you've changed your avatar...perhaps the previous one was better than your current one ;):silly:

J/K...and thanks...we see enough of those things on bv, don't need them here.

Agree that depth is something UND will need to build. But first things first, and that is to recruit kids who can play at this level. He has brought some young talent in. My concern is that he is able to develop that talent to play at the FCS level.

Recruiting is another reason on the scheduling of the UND/NDSU hasn't happened.. the games against Minnesota, Kansas, etc. all help that exposure.. I would love to see all ND, SD, MN kids playing for UND & NDSU but many of the speed positions like receiver and corner back are going to come from Texas, FL, CA, etc. Take a look at the Big Sky Conference Champ Mont. State, half the players at WR or CB are from the states I just listed. Bison have similar stats listed at the speed postions. UND and NDSU are gonna get most of the instate blue chippers but many of those speed positions are going to come from the states listed as there are just not enough of them locally..

OL: PLeasently surprised by how this group played all year long. Other than the first game of the year I thought they provided our QB's with an ample amount of time in the pass game and opened holes for our RB, as evident by the 5+ yards per carry average.

I'm not as high on the OL after this season as you are. They gave up the 2nd highest number of sacks in the league this season. I thought Sutton had a rough year (albeit injury plagued), and it was partly because he is not as explosive or patienat as Murray. He is more of a scheme runner that needs to wait for his blocks to develop, and they often didn't. As a top teir DII school, UND could easily recruit the biggest guys at their level and often get the best ones that made guys like Chris Beatty and Adam Roland look really good. It is much more competetive at this level for the best OL out there.

As far as "Building Blocks", I agree that we have a nice stable of running backs, especially with Murray for one more year. He is a real gem. IMO, he is easily the most valuable part of the offense in more ways than just carrying the ball.

Obviously Hardin has the potential to do some great things during his time at North Dakota. McGill got better as the season progressed and I hear good things about a couple of the redshirt WR. I don't think we will enter 2011 with the glaring concerns at receiver position like we did in 2010.

I really like the way the defensive front 7 will look going into the next couple seasons with proven DL Bellmore and Benjamin and talented LB like Hendrickson and the youngsters Goodman, Bennett, and Andrews.

I think we should be good at corner back next year with Hawkins and Mackey. Safety is a concern though. But what do I know................I've said for the last two seasons that the secondary should be a strength of this program. :glare:

• 2 weeks later...

I think one thing that will be a good building block for the Sioux is an answer at quarterback. Even though I am a Bison fan I'd casually see how the Sioux were doing this year, and heck you all did okay with Jake Landry and when he went down the season kinda went with it. If either Groska, Hendrickson, or one of your red-shirt freshmen can come in and do the job well, I think that the Sioux should look better than this year's 3-8 record. That's my 2 cents worth.

I think one thing that will be a good building block for the Sioux is an answer at quarterback. Even though I am a Bison fan I'd casually see how the Sioux were doing this year, and heck you all did okay with Jake Landry and when he went down the season kinda went with it. If either Groska, Hendrickson, or one of your red-shirt freshmen can come in and do the job well, I think that the Sioux should look better than this year's 3-8 record. That's my 2 cents worth.

Thanks! A smack free bison fan post. Refreshing.

If either Groska, Hendrickson, or one of your red-shirt freshmen can come in and do the job well, ...

The first two you list have somewhat "self-eliminated" from what I saw.

I pray the pistol offense was brought in for either Demler or Comes.

The first two you list have somewhat "self-eliminated" from what I saw.

I pray the pistol offense was brought in for either Demler or Comes.

Why this new offense anyways? We won a national title without it. We had 2 winning FCS seasons without it so now we impliment this new offense and it sucked. What was Mussman thinking?