SiouxSports.com Forum

What are the Building Blocks?

star2city

I think one thing that will be a good building block for the Sioux is an answer at quarterback. Even though I am a Bison fan I'd casually see how the Sioux were doing this year, and heck you all did okay with Jake Landry and when he went down the season kinda went with it. If either Groska, Hendrickson, or one of your red-shirt freshmen can come in and do the job well, I think that the Sioux should look better than this year's 3-8 record. That's my 2 cents worth.

Agreed that quality quartback play is lacking at UND and NDSU. Don't know enough about UND's QB's returning to know if they are the answer, but I'm pretty sure Mohler and Jensen are not the answer at NDSU. UND's back are good enough and receivers are better than anything NDSU has playing this year. Who do the Sioux have coming back at QB other than Goska or Hendrickson?

Agreed that quality quartback play is lacking at UND and NDSU. Don't know enough about UND's QB's returning to know if they are the answer, but I'm pretty sure Mohler and Jensen are not the answer at NDSU. UND's back are good enough and receivers are better than anything NDSU has playing this year. Who do the Sioux have coming back at QB other than Goska or Hendrickson?

Basically, Trey Demler and Chris Comes, two freshmen who redshirted this season. Haven't heard much of anything about how they looked this fall. There's been talk of bringing in a Juco QB to bridge the gap next season.

• 4 weeks later...

Mohler is not but Jensen very well could be. He has all the "intangibles" to be a very good QB. Mohler is 5-10 and 170, he cannot see downfield and makes more mistakes than plays.

Eastern Washington and Indiana State (MV) brought in 1A QB transfers and they did very well. I don't know if Muss will do that this year. I'm sure he'll play the QB that gives them the best chance of winning even if it is a RFR.....Bohl did the same thing this year.

UND was a dropped pass from beating Northern Illinois at NIU.

UND was a missed FG from beating Cal-Poly at CP.

Where the struggles really began is when Jake Landry went down.

Jake seemed to be fine running the pistol.

Like I've said, Comes or Demler had better be pistol QBs or this won't get any better. And yes, I'll live with the "learning curve" of a redshirt freshman QB. Let that person and the WR corps all mature together.

Amen, Amen, and Amen. Where and when we got started on the idea that a QB needed to spend three years in a basaball cap with a clipboard so that he could learn an offense that he never got a chance to direct, therefore requiring another half season to be comfortable in the position, I have no idea. It is a system which has produced some success, but I am tired of being beaten by teams who have freshman quarterbacks and watching sophomore and freshman quarterbacks leading teams deep into the playoffs and having NAIA teams with QB's starting for the 4th year beating us at home. This is the most important postion on the team and we seem to reagard it as a legacy postion that goes to whomever has stuck it out the longest.

Amen, Amen, and Amen. Where and when we got started on the idea that a QB needed to spend three years in a basaball cap with a clipboard so that he could learn an offense that he never got a chance to direct, therefore requiring another half season to be comfortable in the position, I have no idea. It is a system which has produced some success, but I am tired of being beaten by teams who have freshman quarterbacks and watching sophomore and freshman quarterbacks leading teams deep into the playoffs and having NAIA teams with QB's starting for the 4th year beating us at home. This is the most important postion on the team and we seem to reagard it as a legacy postion that goes to whomever has stuck it out the longest.

I agree with you big time, and have been saying the same thing for years.