SiouxSports.com Forum

UC-Davis

UNDvince97-01

Mussman and the whole staff need to be let go after this season. The team has gotten worse from the start of the year and from the body language out there it looks like a lot of the players have quit on the season which is absolutely inexcusable. UC Davis is a bad team but we're an awful team. I don't know if there are any leaders on this team.

• Downvote 1

Pretty tough watching the sioux defense. Not like the offense is doing much better. I was hoping the the Sioux would make some adjustments during the halftime but I guess not.

Why would you expect them to make adjustments at half time? This coaching staff is completely incompetent. Also, WTF is the deal with the pre-snap penalties.

This year started horribly in Idaho, and will end that much worse in South Dakota. I feel bad for the seniors on this football team.....guys like Kasowski.....

At least the sioux have something in Hendrickson for the rest of the season. Let him go out there and wing it around the last couple of games, because there is nothing for them to lose.

If Mussman goes who is the new head coach? Anybody have any good ideas? Maybe Schweigert?

Mussman and the whole staff need to be let go after this season. The team has gotten worse from the start of the year and from the body language out there it looks like a lot of the players have quit on the season which is absolutely inexcusable. UC Davis is a bad team but we're an awful team. I don't know if there are any leaders on this team.

I know how you feel. This was a very frustratiing performance, but (and I am not normally an optimist), I saw some things out there that indicate some hope. The soph QB looked OK for his first game, he brought some excitement and some tools. A couple of breaks going the Sioux way and this game is very close at the end, maybe winnable. The thing that killed us was the same problem most of the year, the opponent passing game downfield. Now I am far from a FB expert so I am not sure what the real problem is, but I question the 3-4 defense in getting enough pass rush and we obviously do not have the talent in the secondary yet to matchup against D1 receivers. I would not throw anyone under the bus until we see how this next recruiting class looks. One thing I am not impressed with is Muss's interviews. He is too quick to make excuses and shows too much emotion if things did not go his way. The kids read that. He needs to be more intimidating and less open with his emotions. I give him one more year to see what he can do. This level of FB is certainly winnable at UND. It ain't BCS, but like any level, mistakes and lack of effort will lose you FB games.

I know we have young talent and we're in transition, but a couple of things bother me about Mussman - First is the number of games he's coached where we just didn't show up. No excuse. Second is the lack of adjustments made both with in a game and between games.

This is a pivotal time in Sioux Football. We need to get it together next year or have the lackluster home atmosphere of the last two games. It's important.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just got back from the game. Obviously a very disappointing performance as I really thought coming in that this was a very winnable game.

Offensively, it really hurts that we simply don't have a very good passing game, although at least Hendrickson made a couple of very good throws. Goska seems to have more poise and possibly makes better decisions, but Hendrickson seems to have so much more upside with his speed and arm. I guess you play them both the next two weeks and see who moves the team better. I strongly suspect that unless somebody really emerges, we'll see a transfer brought in to compete for the starting job next year.

Defensively, there just seem to be too many breakdowns in coverage. Far too often the receiver is 10 yards behind the corner. At some point somebody needs to be held accountable for this glaring problem.

About the only area where I feel we're definitely on the right track is special teams. Coverage was good, and there were several good returns. Kotelnicki seems to be doing a good job.

• Upvote 1

UND has had a history of bouncing back after a losing season. 1989 we went from 3-7-1 to 7-3 in 1990. 2002 5-6 to 12-2 in 2003. So lets gets on track and have a good 2011 then in 2012 lets make a great first impression in the BSC and make the playoffs!!!

Just got back from the game. Obviously a very disappointing performance as I really thought coming in that this was a very winnable game.

Offensively, it really hurts that we simply don't have a very good passing game, although at least Hendrickson made a couple of very good throws. Goska seems to have more poise and possibly makes better decisions, but Hendrickson seems to have so much more upside with his speed and arm. I guess you play them both the next two weeks and see who moves the team better. I strongly suspect that unless somebody really emerges, we'll see a transfer brought in to compete for the starting job next year.

Defensively, there just seem to be too many breakdowns in coverage. Far too often the receiver is 10 yards behind the corner. At some point somebody needs to be held accountable for this glaring problem.

About the only area where I feel we're definitely on the right track is special teams. Coverage was good, and there were several good returns. Kotelnicki seems to be doing a good job.

Secondary has been our biggest weakness defensively for the past 6 or 7 years. I don't think we need a head coaching change but I do think some position changes need to happen. If I was consistently the weakest link at my place of employement I wouldn't be employed for very long.

I've seen way too many receivers with nobody within 15 yards of them and many have resulted in touchdowns. Is it young players making the wrong read? One concern for me is the fact that Brent Goska has been our #2 quarterback for a couple years, but he doesn't appear to have the touch in the long passing game. At this level of football, you have to have a quarterback who can throw the ball to open up the running game. What have the coaches seen in practice that would compel them to have Goska as the # 2 guy and Hendrickson moving to receiver? I don't want to jump the gun based on Hendrickson throwing the ball better on this occasion, but I have a decent sampling on Goska and he doesn't seem to have the arm to keep defenses honest. The fact that you have to totally retool your offense to his talents doesn't seem justifiable when Hendrickson appears a little better fit into our normal scheme. Again, short sampling, so who knows how he performed in practice before he was moved to receiver.

Hey coach, your season was over and you ain't playin for nothing...

So listen to the fans and go for it on fourth and inches.

Your losing the game. Quit being a conservative pantsy and throw the ball downfield or for god sakes at least run another play before halftime.

The Odd Makers gave UND a 80% chance to win this game!!!

The next two games: 20% chance. :sad:

I sat behind a guy who was here from California. He is UC-Davis grad student who cheers for Sac State and just happened to be in GF for the game. He turned around at halftime and asked me "what's wrong with your coach? He seems to coach 'not to lose'". He pointed out the fourth and short and the running the clock at the half.

Then the Sioux score a TD in second half and don't go for 2. What's up with that?

Something is seriously wrong in the secondary. Is anyone coaching these guys? They seem out of position waaaay to often.

Hendrickson moved the team, Goska doesn't.

I listened to Mussman at Boosters and says all of the right things you want a coach to say, but I just don't think he should be head coach. Time for a regime change.

The band was great. :)

What's with those "weird" signs the coaches hold?

Is that something to do with the "no huddle" offense?

Also can anyone explain what's up with the odd formations right before they they run into a "normal" formation and kick the extra point? Another coaching gimmick?

What's with those "weird" signs the coaches hold?

Is that something to do with the "no huddle" offense?

No kidding. One had doublemint gum on it, that was bizzare. I was trying to figure the phrases on the signs like it was that one gameshow...

All I could come up with was: Need Big Sky, need meaningful games, need better coaching decisions, need 100% effort from players.

Seriously though, I think we just let er rip with all young guys these last 2 weeks, likely lose both games, but get those guys bigtime road experience.

I say go with Hendrickson, and have him and the 2 redshirt freshman Comes and Demler battle it out in spring ball and fall practice for the starting spot next year.

Then the Sioux score a TD in second half and don't go for 2. What's up with that?

Cause the coaches knew what we all knew. That one extra point wouldn't matter in the end. :lol:

I give the coaches credit for putting in a different QB. It was steadily apparent Goska wasn't an accurate thrower from the Lamar game.

And here I thought "ooooh something different" finally a chance to try and WIN the game with a fake punt. Turns out the coaches didn't even call it. Someone miss heard or should I say misread the cleveland indians sign the coach was holding. hahahaha

Secondary has been our biggest weakness defensively for the past 6 or 7 years. I don't think we need a head coaching change but I do think some position changes need to happen. If I was consistently the weakest link at my place of employement I wouldn't be employed for very long.

I thought there was a CB yesterday with a couple nice interceptions........was I mistaken?