SiouxSports.com Forum

How has the Name Debacle affected alumni donations?

BobIwabuchiFan

Feedback I have been getting from Alumni from my age group and from Alumni involved with the Alumni association are stating the donations are down for UND because of the name specifically. It seems many people are pissed with the way the whole thing was handled by SBOHE and UND administration - feel the fix was already in when Kelly was hired as the only candidate promoted for hire to SBOHE...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feedback I have been getting from Alumni from my age group and from Alumni involved with the Alumni association are stating the donations are down for UND because of the name specifically. It seems many people are pissed with the way the whole thing was handled by SBOHE and UND administration - feel the fix was already in when Kelly was hired as the only candidate promoted for hire to SBOHE...

That's really too bad and sad. And those people call themselves "supporters" of The University of North Dakota huh?

I get standing up for what you believe in etc, I really do. I'm an advocate of it myself. They are simply standing up to the wrong people and this type of behavior is just so misled. In the end, the people they are hurting most are the people they probably want to hurt the least. The UND athletic programs, student-athletes and coaches dont deserve that.

I wonder if these people actually realize who it is they are really hurting by doing this? Maybe they just dont care?

I say keep your money and find a new university to cheer for if that is how you "support" UND. But, that's just me.

That's really too bad and sad. And those people call themselves "supporters" of The University of North Dakota huh?

I get standing up for what you believe in etc, I really do. I'm an advocate of it myself. They are simply standing up to the wrong people and this type of behavior is just so misled. In the end, the people they are hurting most are the people they probably want to hurt the least. The UND athletic programs, student-athletes and coaches dont deserve that.

I wonder if these people actually realize who it is they are really hurting by doing this? Maybe they just dont care?

I say keep your money and find a new university to cheer for if that is how you "support" UND. But, that's just me.

Or they support The University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux[/b]! It is a package thing for many...... The check.... is not in the mail!

Or they support The University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux[/b]! It is a package thing for many...... The check.... is not in the mail!

based on your hideous html response? You could barely SIGN a check so go ahead and keep it !@#!$!!!

Ask yourself this...Why would you want to help educate young talented kids who could potentially entertain you with their athletic ability UNLESS they were forced to wear a jersey that had a nickname/AND/OR/logo they had absolutely no choice in selecting!* It's just where they wanted to go to school....why punish them???

This was to be expected...the same thing happened at Marquette, Miami of Ohio, etc....A good friend of mine is a Miami alum and he discontinued his donations indefinitely...

AGAIN - what are you giving to?

Ask yourself this...Why would you want to help educate young talented kids who could potentially entertain you with their athletic ability UNLESS they were forced to wear a jersey that had a nickname/AND/OR/logo they had absolutely no choice in selecting!* It's just where they wanted to go to school....why punish them???

This was to be expected...the same thing happened at Marquette, Miami of Ohio, etc....A good friend of mine is a Miami alum and he discontinued his donations indefinitely...

I understand that some may take this position but they, like your friend, are very short-sighted!

AGAIN - what are you giving to?

People who now choose not to donate, such as I, can certainly do that. We talk with our pocketbooks. If there are people who are hurt by my not donating, look squarely at the administrators/professors, etc who did much to offend those who give the dollars. The logic is so asinine: We'll crap on you, we'll listen to 20 or so emotionally and physically dyspeptic professors around campus and YOU should feel guilty for not donating because of our insensitivity to your concerns and YOU should accept blame for people who are hurt by your not donating (translation...people hurt by our idiotic and short-sighted behavior). Where does/will the blame lay? Right with Kelley, Faison and the others who did not give a tinkers damn about alumni. Instructive analogy to make it clear: If a church bitches about lack of donations because one of its ministers sexually abused a kid and that same church says, "Well, by not donating you're hurting all of the charities that this church performs and all of the people that benefit from those charities." Well, the blame is not on those who now refuse to donate. Rather, the blame is with the minister and with the church that allowed the behavior. Maybe the person will now donate directly to those charities rather than using the church as a donation conduit or maybe the person does not donate at all. Regardless, the blame is not with that person - ever. To conclude otherwise is simply an exercise in equivocation.

I've actually heard the opposite and there has been no effect and support for the athletic programs has been incredible. They have lost some donors but have gained others. The games are going to go on regardless and the students are still going to get the great education they received before regardless of what the name is. I don't think anyone is sweating it out.

P.S.- I find it funny now that people are willing to pull donations now but money for the privately funded lawsuit had to come from pretty much one person.

I've actually heard the opposite and there has been no effect and support for the athletic programs has been incredible. They have lost some donors but have gained others. The games are going to go on regardless and the students are still going to get the great education they received before regardless of what the name is. I don't think anyone is sweating it out.

P.S.- I find it funny now that people are willing to pull donations now but money for the privately funded lawsuit had to come from pretty much one person.

A lot of it came from one person but a lot of it came from people such as I, too.

Jesse Taken Alive and Ron His Horse is Thunder poisoned the political environment at Standing Rock such that the council voted no. They won there.

So, in response, some of you will stop donating to UND. Do you really want to give those two a second win?

Folks, the best victory will be for UND to continue to succeed without the Sioux moniker. Then JTA and RHHiT really lose.

Jesse Taken Alive and Ron His Horse is Thunder poisoned the political environment at Standing Rock such that the council voted no. They won there.

So, in response, some of you will stop donating to UND. Do you really want to give those two a second win?

Folks, the best victory will be for UND to continue to succeed without the Sioux moniker. Then JTA and RHHiT really lose.

As much as I hate the fact the name/logo are out the door, I attended UND for reasons well beyond the name/logo. The education I received there has served me well, and taken me pretty far in life. I made a lot of great friends, and still have many fond, albeit somewhat foggy, memories of campus, and off-campus. :ohmy:

I may detest the current Board and the administration with regard to their mishandling of the name/logo issue. However, I see no rational reason to punish the school, or its current or future student body, for the actions of a bunch of political functionaries. Moreover, as a practical matter, I will try to target my donations to programs or areas that I want to see advance, rather than allowing them that much discretion over my money.

Last time I checked, I've been told that at this point, people withholding donations has been negligable. I hope that continues, I choose to continue to support the institution and the student athletes that represent it with my donation. Of course I've already been on record in saying that and no one is really surprised that it is my postition. I hope, however that it is the prevailing wisdom in the end. That's perfectly fine that you choose to withhold your donation, as you say you can speak with your pocketbook-but in the end I'm not sure what kind of effect that it will have, because I believe my perspective is the majority on this issue (thankfully). When you're ready you can donate again, you will & life will go on. If you never contribute again---again oh well--that's sad, but again...life and the University will go on.

Any UND fan who was previously donating and has stopped because of the nickname, who reads The Sicatoka's post and still finds an excuse to stop donating because of the nickname...should be banned from any UND athletic event or from even watching on TV!

It couldn't be said any more perfectly than his post and if you're still so pathetically bitter, then you don't deserve to even watch.

As much as I hate the fact the name/logo are out the door, I attended UND for reasons well beyond the name/logo. The education I received there has served me well, and taken me pretty far in life. I made a lot of great friends, and still have many fond, albeit somewhat foggy, memories of campus, and off-campus. :ohmy:

I may detest the current Board and the administration with regard to their mishandling of the name/logo issue. However, I see no rational reason to punish the school, or its current or future student body, for the actions of a bunch of political functionaries. Moreover, as a practical matter, I will try to target my donations to programs or areas that I want to see advance, rather than allowing them that much discretion over my money.

Bravo.

Last time I checked, I've been told that at this point, people withholding donations has been negligable. I hope that continues, I choose to continue to support the institution and the student athletes that represent it with my donation. Of course I've already been on record in saying that and no one is really surprised that it is my postition. I hope, however that it is the prevailing wisdom in the end. That's perfectly fine that you choose to withhold your donation, as you say you can speak with your pocketbook-but in the end I'm not sure what kind of effect that it will have, because I believe my perspective is the majority on this issue (thankfully). When you're ready you can donate again, you will & life will go on. If you never contribute again---again oh well--that's sad, but again...life and the University will go on.

Well said!!

I have been writing checks to UND for many years (for both academic and athletic purposes). I wish these checks could have been larger but I think I have done more than my fair share over the years - especially considering the fact that I haven't lived in ND since 1986. I am an adamant proponent of remaining the Fighting Sioux and have helped some of the behind the scenes work being done to attempt to save it. That being said, the check I wrote a couple of weeks ago was larger than in the past because, if FS goes away, some will donate less or not at all and there will be additional expenses in the transition away from the name. I think (and hope) that others are taking the same approach! Please do so, if you can!

Stop acting like a giving money is a requirement. It is not. It is a "DONATION." If an alum doesn't feel like their money is being well-spent at the University, so be it. I will not call them out.

I finished school $64,000 in debt, and I'm one of many students, many of which needed much more than what I did to pay for school. I'm not complaining because it's expected that school comes at a cost.

Stop acting like a giving money is a requirement. It is not. It is a "DONATION." If an alum doesn't feel like their money is being well-spent at the University, so be it. I will not call them out.

I finished school $64,000 in debt, and I'm one of many students, many of which needed much more than what I did to pay for school. I'm not complaining because it's expected that school comes at a cost.

Don't try to cloud the issue.

We're talking about people who have already been donating, perhaps every year for several years, who have plenty of money to keep donating - yet they make up some BS excuse to stop donating for what basically amounts to being a crybaby, "you can't come to my birthday!" child over the nickname changing.

As as been said a million times already, don't punish the student athletes!

No, of course no one is required to start donating. But if you have been and can continue to do so, this is not a rightful excuse to stop.

If your comment was meant for me, I fully agree with you. Making a donation to UND (or any school or charity) is absolutely not a requirement. My point was that I am a huge "Fighting Sioux" supporter and (assuming the name is going to change) my check was a little larger for the reasons I mentioned. If other FSC members or program supporters can do the same, I think that is great!

There are a lot of loyal Sioux fans who are either unable or unwilling to support the program. That is their decision!

Don't try to cloud the issue.

We're talking about people who have already been donating, perhaps every year for several years, who have plenty of money to keep donating - yet they make up some BS excuse to stop donating for what basically amounts to being a crybaby, "you can't come to my birthday!" child over the nickname changing.

As as been said a million times already, don't punish the student athletes!

No, of course no one is required to start donating. But if you have been and can continue to do so, this is not a rightful excuse to stop.

YES! For the first time in my life I'm going to put down the sack of doorknobs I've been wanting to beat MplsBison with for YEARS and say - HE'S FINALLY MADE A GOOD POINT! (1 out of 5000 posts ain't bad)

The name change would have happened sooner or later...it's 2010 and probably SOONER than most would have wanted but there's NO WAY this name can stay - JUST FACE IT! Threaten to pull all the Alum checks you want....in fact...GO AHEAD! Goodbye...and SEEYA you rich JuiceBags! Maybe now I can get a ticket for a hockey game that was formerly occupied by your generous GIANT check-writin' white ass - WOW - I've even got a little wiggle room here!

SHUT UP with the "I'm going to stop donating..." B*LLSHIT! Give or don't give but stop trying to get CREDIT for it while we're going through this horrible nickname debate - it's gut-wrenching in itself without you nickname martyrs acting like you're "taking the high road" by not donating....if you need attention go post a video on YouTUbe of you teaing up a check! THAT WOULD BE GREAT:-(

Why does everyone assume that all donors are rich? It's probably the contrary.

Just because someone donated every year doesn't mean they must continue to do so, especially if the university doesn't fight for the interests of the majority of the donors. That's why you hear so much in the way of donors having the power to get the University to do things...because the money talks.

The university could have fought A LOT harder than it did to try and keep the name, but didn't. They did nothing to stop its death. They could have fought tooth and nail to keep it, and probably still would have lost it, but at least the alums would have noticed that they did their best. This is the problem most alums have with the University.

Sure, UND's hands were tied by the SBoHE, but they did nothing to try and prove their case with them either, nor with the tribes either.

If the university isn't going to fight for what the donors want, why should they donate anything. In the future, maybe the university will push for things that the alums want because they don't want to piss more people off, and maybe they'll gain donors in the end.

If you want to donate, great, more power to you. There will be many thankful people for your donation. However, if you feel the university isn't doing the right things, and you don't want to donate, or don't want to continue donating, I'm not going to say you're wrong. If you went to UND, paid your tuition, and made some money because of it, it's your money to spend how you want.

Just because someone donated every year doesn't mean they must continue to do so, especially if the university doesn't fight for the interests of the majority of the donors. That's why you hear so much in the way of donors having the power to get the University to do things...because the money talks.

The university could have fought A LOT harder than it did to try and keep the name, but didn't. They did nothing to stop its death. They could have fought tooth and nail to keep it, and probably still would have lost it, but at least the alums would have noticed that they did their best. This is the problem most alums have with the University.

Sure, UND's hands were tied by the SBoHE, but they did nothing to try and prove their case with them either, nor with the tribes either.

If the university isn't going to fight for what the donors want, why should they donate anything. In the future, maybe the university will push for things that the alums want because they don't want to piss more people off, and maybe they'll gain donors in the end.

If you want to donate, great, more power to you. There will be many thankful people for your donation. However, if you feel the university isn't doing the right things, and you don't want to donate, or don't want to continue donating, I'm not going to say you're wrong. If you went to UND, paid your tuition, and made some money because of it, it's your money to spend how you want.

Very eloquently stated. I couldn't agree more.

Lets make it as crystal clear as possible: people who were planning to donate now or soon to UND but now will not donate because of the nickname issue do not deserve any praise. In fact, they deserve to be called our and embarrassed for what they are: childish cowards.

I increased my donation...........

Not because I wanted to see the name go, but because I could afford to right now, and I am first and foremost a supporter of the University, its students, athletes, and coaches, due to my time and experiences while attending school there..................I don't pay attention to UND because of any arbitrary moniker, whatever it may be.