SiouxSports.com Forum

How has the Name Debacle affected alumni donations?

BobIwabuchiFan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Unique” is a fitting theme for this issue, as in less than two months a one-of-a-kind event will happen on campus during Homecoming 2010 [Oct. 4-10]. With such a “big” buildup, I suppose it’s not very nice of me to now tell you it’s a secret.

I CAN tell you, however, you won’t want to miss “Ignite the Spirit”, to be held at the Chester Fritz Auditorium Friday, Oct. 8 at 3 p.m. It will be a huge announcement with dramatic impact on our campus, as well as a memorable occasion for all interested in UND.

This seems a little dramatic to just be announcing the indoor practice facility. Possibly finally going public with the $500MM campaign?

Edit: or possibly the University of North Dakota's Sanford School of Medicine and Health Sciences?

Douple stuck his nose into an extremely sensitive issue for no good reason. Whether or not his actions were directly responsible for the retiring of the nickname or just speeding up the inevitable, it is not difficult to see why so many people dislike what he did. He should have just kept his mouth shut.

I think that is a very accurate assessment. I don't think Douple's actions did one thing to affect either the eventual outcome of the nickname situation nor the timeline of it. But it did put a microscope over the top of it. If he would have just kept even one side of his mouth shut, he would've been doing good.

I think that is a very accurate assessment. I don't think Douple's actions did one thing to affect either the eventual outcome of the nickname situation nor the timeline of it. But it did put a microscope over the top of it. If he would have just kept even one side of his mouth shut, he would've been doing good.

Bunk, bunk, bunk.

Douple/Summit have zero (if possible, they have negative) impact on anything having to do with the nickname being retired. It was 100% related to the Standing Rock TC's inaction. It was entirely up to them to save the nickname. If they had, the Summit would've accepted UND with teh Sioux nickname, no questions.

This is nothing more than bitter UND fans desperately looking for something to lash out at. If anything, Douple's only mistake was giving them an excuse to lash out at the Summit.

I believe Douple didn't have much stake in it either way BUT....

by sticking his nose into this, he gets him and his league into the news, even if it is on a small scale.

His name is now attached to this event. It's a power and fame thing. He can now say he was part of something "big"

This seems a little dramatic to just be announcing the indoor practice facility. Possibly finally going public with the $500MM campaign?

Edit: or possibly the University of North Dakota's Sanford School of Medicine and Health Sciences?

For the past few years, there seem to have been a pause in projects that were rumored to be imminent like a Business School addition or new theater with a downtown campus. With the name change, were a number of projects delayed to provide momentum as a result of the impending name change?

Bunk, bunk, bunk.

Douple/Summit have zero (if possible, they have negative) impact on anything having to do with the nickname being retired. It was 100% related to the Standing Rock TC's inaction. It was entirely up to them to save the nickname. If they had, the Summit would've accepted UND with teh Sioux nickname, no questions.

This is nothing more than bitter UND fans desperately looking for something to lash out at. If anything, Douple's only mistake was giving them an excuse to lash out at the Summit.

Maybe Douple's action wasn't the direct cause of the nickname being retired, but to say it had no absolutely no effect whatsoever is just plain wrong. Douple's position caused, or gave excuse, for Kelley and Faison to openly campaign for the nickname to be dropped. Maybe they would have anyway, but we don't know. Douple certainly made it a lot easier for them to do it. With the President and Athletic Director having no interest in saving the nickname, and actively campaigning against it, that killed any momentum that was going on at Standing Rock and gave the Standing Rock council an easy excuse to not act. I'm not saying the outcome would have been different had Douple not stuck his nose in this, but the Summit's position was repeatedly cited as the biggest factor for immediately taking action to drop the nickname, yet you have no trouble discounting that entirely. He played a role, even that role was being the person to make it publicly easier for UND administration to turn hostile toward the nickname.

Nevertheless, even if I accepted your premise that he had no effect whatsoever, my opinion about Douple doesn't change. He simply shouldn't have stuck his nose into someone else's business.

Maybe Douple's action wasn't the direct cause of the nickname being retired, but to say it had no absolutely no effect whatsoever is just plain wrong. Douple's position caused, or gave excuse, for Kelley and Faison to openly campaign for the nickname to be dropped. . He simply shouldn't have stuck his nose into someone else's business.

Actually, I think that Douple acted like a school yard bully in basically not letting UND apply for membership until the nickname issue was resolved (which means killed lets not split hairs here) he even got the NDBoHE to jump on an early transition. This was a Chicago style shake down.

Maybe Douple's action wasn't the direct cause of the nickname being retired, but to say it had no absolutely no effect whatsoever is just plain wrong. Douple's position caused, or gave excuse, for Kelley and Faison to openly campaign for the nickname to be dropped. Maybe they would have anyway, but we don't know. Douple certainly made it a lot easier for them to do it. With the President and Athletic Director having no interest in saving the nickname, and actively campaigning against it, that killed any momentum that was going on at Standing Rock and gave the Standing Rock council an easy excuse to not act. I'm not saying the outcome would have been different had Douple not stuck his nose in this, but the Summit's position was repeatedly cited as the biggest factor for immediately taking action to drop the nickname, yet you have no trouble discounting that entirely. He played a role, even that role was being the person to make it publicly easier for UND administration to turn hostile toward the nickname.

Nevertheless, even if I accepted your premise that he had no effect whatsoever, my opinion about Douple doesn't change. He simply shouldn't have stuck his nose into someone else's business.

Please do not quote the jackass troll - I'm trying to keep my computer untainted by his abject stupidity - thanks.

I disagree with your entire post and premise on its face. I don't know how much longer you want to continue this because it's obvious to me that you've made up your mind to be hateful to the Summit and Douple and blame them for UND's problems and you won't allow any number of facts that prove you wrong to change your mind. But I leave it to you how long you want to continue this.

1) how did Douple or the Summit even "stick his nose into some else's business"? I reject that utterly false premise on its face. The Summit stated its position publicly so that the public would know what the hold up was. It was a fair position to take - the Summit would only accept UND once the issue had been resolved between UND and the Tribes one way or another.

There is not a single iota that is immature or unfair about such a position or letting the public know that the Summit has taken that position.

Pure bunk on your part to insist that such a thing is even close to them sticking their nose into UND's business.

Did the Summit demand a seat at the negotiating table between UND and Standing Rock? That I could see you saying is them sticking their nose into UND's business...but they were as far from that as could be.

2) as you just admitted it was Kelley and Faison that may or may not have lobbied for the end of the nickname. It was THOSE TWO. The Summit was not lobbying anyone! You should be blaming Kelley and Faison if you want to blame someone for supposedly lobbying to end the nickname.

And it's pretty obvious that if they were lobbying for the end of the nickname that they would've done so regardless of the Summit's position. If anything, the Summit being open and public about their position would restrict Kelley and Faison from potentially arguing that the Summit might want UND to end the nickname before inviting them to joint he conference. With the Summit's clear and fair position out in the open, that the Summit would accept UND once the school and the tribes settled the issue one way or another, neither Kelley or Faison could argue otherwise.

3) Even after all of that, at the end of the day the only thing that matters is that the Standing Rock TC did not allow a tribal vote on the issue and did everything in their power to end the nickname. It was the tribal council. It was always the tribal council.

No amount of spin will ever be able to dismiss that.

MK, I've totally defeated your ridiculous premise of blaming the Summit for the nickname. But I still have my doubts that you or any other UND fan will give up this foolishness of trying to make the Summit out to be the bad guys in this. I hope you prove me wrong!

I disagree with your entire post and premise on its face.

Since you didn't even address my argument on the merits, there's not much more to say. I think you mistake me for someone who doesn't want UND in the Summit. That is not me. A Summit/MVFC combo would be my preference for UND (if UND had a choice in the matter), even after everything that has gone down. But that does not mean I have to agree with what Douple did in publicly interjecting himself into this very sensitive issue. If you can't see that he did that, then there is simply no hope or reason to continue communicating with you about it.

1) how did Douple or the Summit even "stick his nose into some else's business"? I reject that utterly false premise on its face. The Summit stated its position publicly so that the public would know what the hold up was. It was a fair position to take - the Summit would only accept UND once the issue had been resolved between UND and the Tribes one way or another.

OK, I will bite on this one...

1) NDSU AD - stated that Summit League has a policy to not schedule UND because of the name.

2) Douple on the same day in the same city stated - SL does not have a policy against the scheduling of UND because of the name.

3) A couple of days later Douple provides some cover statement to bail NDSU out... some strange statement like member should be careful when scheduling UND.. never understood what that meant.

4) Douple states that UND will be considered once the name is "resolved".

5) In the spring of this year - a North Dakota State Official states during a radio interview that "resolved" in fact does mean "changed" and that UND needs to act quickly because other schools are being considered.

6) This leads to more lawsuits and hassles to get things done as fast as possible.

So, how are they NOT in UND's business? Plus, it looks like the word of NDSU-AD and Summit League are not worth much!!! It certainly is not a good way to start a relationship..

Now, UND has done everything asked early and still nothing from the SL on anything... really!! I am shocked..

Now, UND has done everything asked early and still nothing from the SL on anything... really!! I am shocked..

Remember all of those people that said UND getting into the Summit League was a slam dunk as well? We should have been accepted if that was the case.

Edited by Goon

Remember all of those people that said UND getting into the Summit League was a slamb dunk as well? We should have been accepted if that was the case.

Unless something else interferes, UND will be asked to join the Summit League some time after the first of the year. They don't have a need to add someone immediately, and adding UND now or in May will result in UND becoming active at the same time. UND missed the deadline to become an active member July 1, 2011 and will probably be added effective 2012.

My guess is that the Summit is waiting to see if Southern Utah gets a place in the Big Sky. If they do UND will fill that slot. Then the Summit has to decide whether to stay at 10 members or go to 12. If Summit doesn't go to the Big Sky, either UND will get the slot in the Big Sky or UND will join the Summit and they will have to find one more team to get to 12. Either way, UND will have a home for all sports with the possible exception of football. Football is another story and that will play out in its own time

By the way it is slam, not slamb..

Since you didn't even address my argument on the merits, there's not much more to say. I think you mistake me for someone who doesn't want UND in the Summit. That is not me. A Summit/MVFC combo would be my preference for UND (if UND had a choice in the matter), even after everything that has gone down. But that does not mean I have to agree with what Douple did in publicly interjecting himself into this very sensitive issue. If you can't see that he did that, then there is simply no hope or reason to continue communicating with you about it.

Very wise thing, MK. Don't acquire brain leprosy from this troll.

Very wise thing, MK. Don't acquire brain leprosy from this troll.

Given the babble about some announcement, does anyone think this will be linked with the removal of the nickname or will they continue to run away from the removal of the nickname and continue discussions about the great opportunities for UND in the Summit? Also, who else has any kind of money to donate like the Engelstad family from UND???

BobIwabuchiFan

Aren't the anti-nickname people going to make up for lost donation now.

As for me I figure that donations to the athletic department for scholarships is for value given. If I'm going to be a fan I'll keep donating for the athletes.

I told the University that if they did this they'd lose my support forever. They went and did it. They could have waited for the deadline, but they couldn't chance that.

So I guess it's for the anti's now to step up.

Given the babble about some announcement, does anyone think this will be linked with the removal of the nickname or will they continue to run away from the removal of the nickname and continue discussions about the great opportunities for UND in the Summit? Also, who else has any kind of money to donate like the Engelstad family from UND???

BobIwabuchiFan

I think that bridge may have been burned with the "surrender" of the Sioux nickname,

Remember the old saying about " A woman scorned".

• 3 weeks later...

The Herald yesterday said that the "endowment" at the UND Foundation was $106 million. At the end of fiscal year 2009, the UND Foundation had net assets of $144 million. I don't know exactly what they call the endowment.

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/und-foundation-seems-to-have-lost-a-lot-of-money-subsequent-to-the-dropping-of-the-sioux-nickname/

I suggest that Kelley couldn't raise any money except for some moving expenses.

The Herald yesterday said that the "endowment" at the UND Foundation was $106 million. At the end of fiscal year 2009, the UND Foundation had net assets of $144 million. I don't know exactly what they call the endowment.

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/und-foundation-seems-to-have-lost-a-lot-of-money-subsequent-to-the-dropping-of-the-sioux-nickname/

I suggest that Kelley couldn't raise any money except for some moving expenses.

I would consider giving $50.00 to Kelly's moving fund.