SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

7 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So any idea why Donovan decommitted? Berry is building this culture with orange cones with no scoring. Why is the senior not playing?

He's got a bad attitude and this caused an injury. It also caused Tomek's, Thome's and all of our injuries since Bubbs started coaching here. 

Building the culture... Goodness... We're so short sided. 

2 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Boston University has had a ton of talent upfront and even in goalie and a few D the last few years.... How'd that work out for them? How many nattys?

UND will have a loaded D-core again next year and an unreal sophomore goalie in Scheel. Just need to score a few more goals. UND isn't that far off people. Please travel outside of Nodak this winter and get some Vitamin D and/or sun or get your meds.

R-E-L-A-X

They’re too young though, similar to a Wisco this year.  Both teams are going through similar struggles as UND is this year.  However those teams struggle with D and we struggle with O.  I was simply pointing out a fact, that moving forward Wisco should be a dang good hockey team and they are loading up like we did in the mid 2000s.  Barring any early departures (which is actually probably likely) they should be very good next year. I can just rationalize why RD’s going there.  I’m actually not all that high on the kid.  

The thing I wonder about Donovan, is what happens if he sits quite a bit behind Wisconsin’s ultra talented freshmen forwards and what they have coming back?  Can he fulfill a job as a role player, and if not, does he bolt for Major Junior if he is drafted relatively high?  He obviously wants to play college right away, but is he going to accept the decreased time if he struggles?

13 minutes ago, tnt said:

The thing I wonder about Donovan, is what happens if he sits quite a bit behind Wisconsin’s ultra talented freshmen forwards and what they have coming back?  Can he fulfill a job as a role player, and if not, does he bolt for Major Junior if he is drafted relatively high?  He obviously wants to play college right away, but is he going to accept the decreased time if he struggles?

I think he’ll be similar to Tufte, maybe even a bit more sheltered.  He probably won’t do much until his junior year.  He may even play 4 years.  Seems to be taking the slow approach. Which isn’t bad.  

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

I think he’ll be similar to Tufte, maybe even a bit more sheltered.  He probably won’t do much until his junior year.  He may even play 4 years.  Seems to be taking the slow approach. Which isn’t bad.  

I guess we’ll see, but the slow approach could have included a year of Juniors, but I would have thought that would be determined partly by his draft status.

• Upvote 1

UW's recruiting class for next season is loaded.  That said, I could see it playing out similar to BU's recent stellar classes.  Uber talented but too young.
After not winning a natty next season at UW, Turcotte and Caufield bolt for pros after their frosh seasons. 

Donovan is a tough one.  He's certainly not lighting up HS hockey like many predicted he would for his SR season.  I'd rather have him on the roster than our recent commit due to his higher ceiling, but I agree with scpa0305 that I don't see him doing much in NCAA until at least his JR/SR seasons.

4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'll be bet my mortgage that Donovan isn't a first rounder lol. 

3rd maybe 4th. It's possible all of our forward recruits get drafted before him. I haven't seen him play, so my opinion means next to nothing, but his numbers are way down. Caulfield has 17 pts in 16 vs USHL, Pinto is over a pt per game in the USHL, Blaisdell and Rizzo the same in BCHL. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

They’re too young though, similar to a Wisco this year.  Both teams are going through similar struggles as UND is this year.  However those teams struggle with D and we struggle with O.  I was simply pointing out a fact, that moving forward Wisco should be a dang good hockey team and they are loading up like we did in the mid 2000s.  Barring any early departures (which is actually probably likely) they should be very good next year. I can just rationalize why RD’s going there.  I’m actually not all that high on the kid.  

We'd all prefer they didn't struggle at either end of the ice, but if I had to choose, I'd prefer to struggle at O and have top notch D and G.  Possible to win a lot of games with superior D and so-so O.  Boring hockey to watch, though. and from a purely selfish fan standpoint, that is a factor, I guess.  

These past two years are why I was always supportive of Hak.  As a fan, it's dam nice to be treated to top notch hockey weekend after weekend, year after year, even if there are no banners at the end.  Banners are bragging rights, and we all know it often (usually?) doesn't signify the best team in college hockey.  You like to see the kids get it, but as a fan, I like watching really good hockey week in and week out.   And I think UND will return to that. 

I don't know, shyt, though--there's that.

18 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I miss Wisconsin being good.

This.  1980-84 was pre-internet and I lived where there was little access to college hockey information, but I would loved to have been around to witness those years when the Sioux and Badgers fought over banners.   2000 season was special too, including that rivalry. 

14 hours ago, brianvf said:

UW's recruiting class for next season is loaded.  That said, I could see it playing out similar to BU's recent stellar classes.  Uber talented but too young.
After not winning a natty next season at UW, Turcotte and Caufield bolt for pros after their frosh seasons. 

Donovan is a tough one.  He's certainly not lighting up HS hockey like many predicted he would for his SR season.  I'd rather have him on the roster than our recent commit due to his higher ceiling, but I agree with scpa0305 that I don't see him doing much in NCAA until at least his JR/SR seasons.

I think it really depends on if they have players leaving from this year's squad.  BU had several high end one and dones.  If Wisco brings everyone back, they could be a very solid team next season.

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I miss Wisconsin being good.

I miss UND being good.

but seriously, I do miss the good ole days where UND, Wisco and the Goofs were all top teams. Old school WCHA was the absolute best conference. Honestly, its not much fun to see the Gophers struggle for more than a few games either. You want the teams you hate to be good, because it is that much more satisfying when you beat them.

• Upvote 3

On 2/19/2019 at 4:01 PM, siouxfan512 said:

I miss UND being good.

but seriously, I do miss the good ole days where UND, Wisco and the Goofs were all top teams. Old school WCHA was the absolute best conference. Honestly, its not much fun to see the Gophers struggle for more than a few games either. You want the teams you hate to be good, because it is that much more satisfying when you beat them.

Considering the caliber of upcoming recruiting classes between us and Wisco, along with a bright outlook on UMN's rebound after this season, I don't think we're that far off. Keeping it sustained, however, is another topic.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

Considering the caliber of upcoming recruiting classes between us and Wisco, along with a bright outlook on UMN's rebound after this season, I don't think we're that far off. Keeping it sustained, however, is another topic.

I sure hope so, being from MN and having perennial disappointment with sports teams, Sioux Hockey was always my one saving grace. I need that back.

UND Basketball - down year, young ...likely no tourney

UND Football - No playoffs

Vikings - enough said

Twins - playoffs are too expensive for the Pohlads

Wild - they are trying their best to miss the playoffs

That's a whole lot of watching sports with no real payoff.

1 hour ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

BU, BC, MIch, etc.  I would honestly say our recruiting class for next season wouldn't even be in the top 5...maybe 5.  Not sure who DU, ND, etc is brining in.

On 2/22/2019 at 1:42 PM, scpa0305 said:

BU, BC, MIch, etc.  I would honestly say our recruiting class for next season wouldn't even be in the top 5...maybe 5.  Not sure who DU, ND, etc is brining in.

I think we'll be Top 3 or 5 for the next three years in regards to the incoming classes, from everything I've heard and read about our recruits.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to COMMITTED UND Recruits