SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

7 minutes ago, KSSioux said:

He is an exciting player, and will be a great addition.  Based on past NHL drafts, due to his size I am predicting an early third round choice.  He will be much better than those "projections" in college (see Jackson Blake - fourth rounder).  I am sure some folks will cry about "blue chippas" with where he will be selecteed, but this kid will be awesome to watch.

If anyone is actually questioning his blue chip status, methinks Mr. Perron will show them differently very, very soon.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/unds-jake-livanavage-warroads-hampton-slukynsky-invited-to-u-s-world-junior-championship-summer-showcase

UND incoming freshman defenseman Jake Livanavage and Warroad goaltender Hampton Slukynsky have been invited to attend USA Hockey's annual summer showcase, which helps the organization pick its roster for the World Junior Championship.

Livanavage is one of 16 defensemen invited to participate. Slukynsky is one of five goalies.

The showcase will run from July 27-Aug. 4 at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Mich.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Good write up here on Perron and his draft stock. I'm so pumped for this kid to be at UND.

https://www.therinklive.com/junior-and-prospects/ushl/nhl-draft-countdown-no-7-jayden-perron-f-chicago

I'm excited to see what he can do starting this fall (and future years at UND).
I see his playing style compared to Blake quite a bit.  If his production is even remotely close to what Blake did as a freshmen, that'll be a huge help offensively to this team.

I've read many mentions of Perron's shot and one-timer ability, which would be great on the PP.  Blake is awesome, but he doesn't have the best one-timer (yet), so that would be another dimension to the PP if Perron can fill that void (I'm thinking alone the lines of Pinto).  Having guys like Gaber, Blake, OMac, Perron, etc...could make for an awesome PP1/PP2 combo to throw out there.

53 minutes ago, KSSioux said:

He is an exciting player, and will be a great addition.  Based on past NHL drafts, due to his size I am predicting an early third round choice.  He will be much better than those "projections" in college (see Jackson Blake - fourth rounder).  I am sure some folks will cry about "blue chippas" with where he will be selecteed, but this kid will be awesome to watch.

His smaller size and lower draft stock make it more likely he'll stick around longer.

19 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

If anyone is actually questioning his blue chip status, methinks Mr. Perron will show them differently very, very soon.

Absolutely. If he was 2” taller and 20 lbs heavier he would be a first round lock. Don’t believe all the mock drafts. There’s a chance he goes first round. I think middle 2nd. He’ll be an elite college hockey player. Super skilled. 

1 minute ago, dustnyou said:

Absolutely. If he was 2” taller and 20 lbs heavier he would be a first round lock. Don’t believe all the mock drafts. There’s a chance he goes first round. I think middle 2nd. He’ll be an elite college hockey player. Super skilled. 

There's a great chance he goes late first round. I've heard of a couple teams that really, really love him. I think he'll end up going in the 2nd. Yep, spot on 2" and 20 lbs.

7 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

Maybe he’s still got a bit more height left in him? 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-recruit-andrew-strathmann-makes-strong-closing-argument-to-nhl-teams

"He's one of the more competitive guys in the draft this year," an NHL scout said. "His drive and determination are his leading attributes. He's a very good skater both forward and backwards. He covers a lot of ground. He can close on guys quickly defensively. He has an offensive game that's still developing. He gets a lot of shots through. He creates offense for his team that way. He's still developing the playmaking part of his game, but his competitive nature and physical play are what drive his game."

"He's an elite skater," UND coach Brad Berry said. "He's got great agility and mobility for a defenseman. I think he does a lot of really good things. He goes back and breaks out pucks and adds to the offense. He's not an overly big body, but plays extremely hard and is very, very competitive.

"Whoever drafts him is going to have a very good defenseman in years to come. We're excited about him coming in here after playing one more year of juniors. He's going to have a huge impact when he does get here."

On 6/23/2023 at 10:28 AM, dustnyou said:

It's like someone at ESPN reads siouxsports.com: Does height still matter for NHL draft prospects?

• Like 1

UND has two American 2006-born commits right now — forwards Carson Pilgrim of Warroad and Mac Swanson. Both of them have been invited to try out for USA's Hlinka Gretzky Cup roster. The camp will take place July 20-24 in Plymouth, Mich. The tournament is scheduled for Aug. 1-6 in Czechia and Slovakia. USA's Hlinka Gretzky Cup roster will be filled out with the top 2006-born players who are not with the National Team Development Program.

20 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Time to come up with a pipeline nickname. "NoDak Sens" was lame. We can do better.

Cane-iacs? 
Wait, that's taken. 

Sugar beets, sugar cane, ... 

Hurricanes, North Dakota, ... the wind blown?