SiouxSports.com Forum

So - Is there a missing link ?

Fetch

Big A is right on.

Sometimes talent on paper is merely a paper tiger...

For example: On paper, Minnesota should be FAR better than they've played the past two seasons.

I think it all comes down to who can play better in the playoffs (assuming you make them in the first place).

Third) Avoiding those Bastards from Chestnut Hill

I always had the "You have to beat the best to be the best" mentality, so bring 'em on. If we lose, we weren't the better team.

For some reason, I have a feeling this coming season will be a bit of a disappointment to many. To be honest, I'm still not seeing the scoring punch we drastically needed this past season. Having Chay back will be a plus, but the freshmen, no matter how talented, are still freshmen and won't be the world beaters we all hope they'd be.

Gregoire, Kristo, etc....despite how awesome they've been, they need to pick it up another notch yet. We need a "go to" line that consistently is a threat every time they are on the ice.

For some reason, I have a feeling this coming season will be a bit of a disappointment to many. To be honest, I'm still not seeing the scoring punch we drastically needed this past season. Having Chay back will be a plus, but the freshmen, no matter how talented, are still freshmen and won't be the world beaters we all hope they'd be.

Gregoire, Kristo, etc....despite how awesome they've been, they need to pick it up another notch yet. We need a "go to" line that consistently is a threat every time they are on the ice.

I don't see scoring being a problem next season. Kristo, Frattin, Gregoire, Hextall, Malone, Trupp, etc...all those guys will be scoring threats next season. Not to mention having the best offensive dman in college hockey is always a plus. I look for our PP to be a step or two above where it was this past season.

Having a high-end frosh class is nice...but UND won't have to rely on our freshmen like other schools. We'll only have 3 or 4 incoming recruits. When you compare that to the huge classes coming in to DU, UW, UMN, etc...those schools absolutely NEED their freshmen to contribute, where UND has the luxury of having a strong corp of experienced returning upperclassmen to rely on.

win a first round ncaa game :silly: then just 3 more easy wins would do it

seriously this team will be very seasoned with only losing a couple forwards and nobody else that were factors on the ice. very small class coming in with two major D recruits in forbort and simpson. as of now its just rodwell coming in at forward and for sure one more forward will be coming if not two with dtoews leaving but im not sure if thats needed with frattin being a extra in a sense after they brought knight in when frattin took his leave. im sure we will know more about the forward/s after the draft i would guess.

eidsness has been very very good for the sioux and i think he needs to take that extra step as all players need to do in the off season. trupp is a X factor to me, we have seen flashes of unbelievable plays from him so he has the skills and if he can put a 40 game seaosn together like we all think he can then that would be huge for the sioux. kristo, gregoire and frattin will be the big guns at forward. i can see 50 + points from all of them and as BIG mentioned that is needed. it will be interesting if kristo stays on the point on the pp with chay back as they either could be dynamic out there together or there simpy may not be enough room for their styles together on the blueline. i guess we never really saw danny down low on the pp especially after chay went down but i would guess he would be very effective wherever he plays. as a opposing player i would hate to be out there when malone, hextall and mario are on the ice because you know you better keep your head up and not take a split second off or you will pay in various ways. the sioux will have very good lines top to bottom, cant wait for the season and to see what type of make up this team will have! go sioux

I can't wait - this slow hockey news season is killing me

I felt last year that going in to the tournament the two hottest teams and the two with the best shots were us and BC. Now they're National Champions and we're one and done. We should be loaded this year, but Hak has to figure out how to become a tournament team. I think a big factor will be the pace of the season. I think we can all agree that with this team, floundering until mid January is unacceptable. Having to rely on a white hot streak the second half just to get in the tournament has not proven to be a successful strategy -We haven't been able to sustain it long enough for a championship. Rather than relying on catching fire at precisely the right time, how about trying a whole season of excellence - one where we steadily improve our play and hit our stride at tourny time. Tournament prep is a critical area - At least 3 and possible 4 times since Hak took over I felt we were the team to beat going into the tournament. It's time we finish.

If this is the last year with the beautiful sioux logo on their jerseys... how about winning #8 with a big middle finger at the same time to the ncaa with 18 thousand sioux fans celebrating at the X. Fighting sioux forever!!

I agree with what you said AZ.

Eids has been better than many believe he has been. People have expected him to be a wall coming in as a starting freshman, and he has done nothing to show he is not our guy. But, like you said, he needs to take that next step, and I think he's ready to do just that. With each passing season, the puck should get slower and slower for him.

Also, I agree about Trupp. The nice thing about Evan is though, even if he isn't scoring, he's always a huge factor. He's such a pest in the neutral zone and on the PK, and he's defensively reliable. When he adds points on top of that, even better. He has shown he can be an offensive factor, but he needs a few more goals this year.

Lastly, I know Frattin won't wear a letter because of his history, but I'd love to see him take on a big leadership role and get the guys to understand what he learned while away from the team...that college hockey is "it". It's the best time of your life, and the time flies by and you'll regret it when you're gone. Give it all you've got and take home the coveted title while you have that chance.

I can't wait - this slow hockey news season is killing me

I felt last year that going in to the tournament the two hottest teams and the two with the best shots were us and BC. Now they're National Champions and we're one and done. We should be loaded this year, but Hak has to figure out how to become a tournament team. I think a big factor will be the pace of the season. I think we can all agree that with this team, floundering until mid January is unacceptable. Having to rely on a white hot streak the second half just to get in the tournament has not proven to be a successful strategy -We haven't been able to sustain it long enough for a championship. Rather than relying on catching fire at precisely the right time, how about trying a whole season of excellence - one where we steadily improve our play and hit our stride at tourny time. Tournament prep is a critical area - At least 3 and possible 4 times since Hak took over I felt we were the team to beat going into the tournament. It's time we finish.

But being pretty red hot all season long worked for DU, right?

I think how you get there is irrelevant. The only two factors that matter are:

1. You make it in the first place

2. You play well once you're there.

The regular season isn't indicative of anything only that you belong (or you got lucky).

The playoffs start a perilous high stakes season of 4 games maximum. I agree that we need to become a tourney team but every year a team goes into the playoffs with such an unbelievable line that you think they're going to the Frozen Four at least and they bow out early. Then other times they barely make it into the tourney and they end up winning it all (BC has now done it twice). I think Coach York of BC has it nailed in terms of what I've said. They make the playoffs, but they're not really dominant in doing so. Then they just find ways to win once there.

But being pretty red hot all season long worked for DU

I think how you get there is irrelevant. The only two factors that matter are:

1. You make it in the first place

2. You play well once you're there.

The regular season isn't indicative of anything only that you belong (or you got lucky).

The playoffs start a perilous high stakes season of 4 games maximum. I agree that we need to become a tourney team but every year a team goes into the playoffs with such an unbelievable line that you think they're going to the Frozen Four at least and they bow out early. Then other times they barely make it into the tourney and they end up winning it all (BC has now done it twice). I think Coach York of BC has it nailed in terms of what I've said. They make the playoffs, but they're not really dominant in doing so. Then they just find ways to win once there.

I see your point - there are many different paths to the Championship - BC has found a way to be hot during the tournament - we haven't. It seems like they always come up with a game plan that is disruptive to their opponents, always get good goaltending, and use their speed. Lately, they've been making WCHA teams look like they're skating in cement.

However, I think relying on a hot streak second half only works if you have a lot of freshmen and have chemistry issues to work out or if you have some early injuries (like last year for us). As a blueprint for every year, it has shown to leave something to be desired.

Bottom line is we're all guessing - I don't know what the answer is. I do know that we are due and have the talent. I'm hoping for #8. I also hope we beat the Gophs and BC along the way. We shouldn't want to duck any team.

I see your point - there are many different paths to the Championship - BC has found a way to be hot during the tournament - we haven't. It seems like they always come up with a game plan that is disruptive to their opponents, always get good goaltending, and use their speed. Lately, they've been making WCHA teams look like they're skating in cement.

However, I think relying on a hot streak second half only works if you have a lot of freshmen and have chemistry issues to work out or if you have some early injuries (like last year for us). As a blueprint for every year, it has shown to leave something to be desired.

Bottom line is we're all guessing - I don't know what the answer is. I do know that we are due and have the talent. I'm hoping for #8. I also hope we beat the Gophs and BC along the way. We shouldn't want to duck any team.

I think the biggest problem is our league games while the WCHA is the best league and tough from top to bottom, the regular season is grind and can be taxing on a team. By the time the WCHA has played out its season they have beat the hell out of each other and teams run out of gas.

I still believe the way the refs call the game has an effect on the teams as well. The CCHA, Hockey East EZAC call their games tighter than the WCHA and they have more separation from the top and bottom teams. The WCHA not so much. I think McLeod

If this is the last year with the beautiful sioux logo on their jerseys... how about winning #8 with a big middle finger at the same time to the ncaa with 18 thousand sioux fans celebrating at the X. Fighting sioux forever!!

Now that would be ssswwweeetttt!!!!!!!!

1st I hope we keep the name & Chay is OK & has a better than Hobey year & Leads us to promised land

Maybe then the names skeptics can jump on the bandwagon & be proud with us

McCleod's mantra of Parity over purity, that's my line : )

Points for success:

1. Speed kills. We need to be able to outskate our opponents. All of them.

2. Go to the net.

3. Establish a physical presence.

4. Win the individual foot races, slot battles, and corner battles. Getting beaten individually results in getting beaten collectively.

Our championship hopes ride on our dmen and fourth line. I have confidence in our top 6 forwards and our energy line lead by super Mario and Hexy upfront. I think BE is solid. If we can get dominant play from our dmen both in our own zone and chipping in offensively, I feel good. Throw is some insults with fourth line relief and goal scoring and I feel really good.

Championships are not born of one dominant line.

You guys need to get the goaltenders to make the big saves when your boys aren't at their best during the NCAAs. That has been plaguing you since '05-'06 team. The margins are as usual going to be VERY small and at some point your goalie is going to need to make some big stops. Unless you want to try BC's approach and score six per game.

You guys need to get the goaltenders to make the big saves when your boys aren't at their best during the NCAAs. That has been plaguing you since '05-'06 team. The margins are as usual going to be VERY small and at some point your goalie is going to need to make some big stops. Unless you want to try BC's approach and score six per game.

No doubt, both Parise and Lammy were hot the second half of those years, and made several big saves in game after game, but during the BC games, neither the team nor the goalies could keep the puck out of the net. Sioux looked much like Yale did vs. BC, every good chance found the back of the net.