SiouxSports.com Forum

2010 Volleyball season

dakotadan

I was flying out of Hector in Fargo today and saw the volleyball team checking in for a departing flight. Is it common for UND athletics to fly out of Hector? I've never checked on fares out of GF, are they high enough to make bussing and flying out of Fargo cost effective?

I was flying out of Hector in Fargo today and saw the volleyball team checking in for a departing flight. Is it common for UND athletics to fly out of Hector? I've never checked on fares out of GF, are they high enough to make bussing and flying out of Fargo cost effective?

Yes, I believe it is quite common. Especially when they are heading west, they can go direct to Denver or SLC, rather than from GFK, to MPS, to somewhere else.

Yes, I believe it is quite common. Especially when they are heading west, they can go direct to Denver or SLC, rather than from GFK, to MPS, to somewhere else.

If you think about it, it's only 1 hour or less to Hector from GF. That is like a drive across the Twin Cities during rush hour to MSP airport that so many people make every day. Not too bad at all, and no stress on that drive, and check in.

I assumed they were playing out west when I read the post. After checking the schedule, they are heading to NJ to play NJIT. I guess it must be that much cheaper in Fargo...

I assumed they were playing out west when I read the post. After checking the schedule, they are heading to NJ to play NJIT. I guess it must be that much cheaper in Fargo...

It is usually a similar price out of Grand Forks versus out of Fargo. I know that UND flies out of Grand Forks as much as possible. But there are probably times when there is a price difference or times when the schedule works much better to fly out of Fargo. My guess is that the schedule worked better in this case.

It is usually a similar price out of Grand Forks versus out of Fargo. I know that UND flies out of Grand Forks as much as possible. But there are probably times when there is a price difference or times when the schedule works much better to fly out of Fargo. My guess is that the schedule worked better in this case.

I agree, it is likely schedule driven. I'm flying up to GF in a couple of weeks and checked both airports for a few weeks before buying. The prices were always the same between FAR and GFK, coming from the south.

I would think that the Athletic Department would have some sort of contract with Delta that would allow them to lock in the fares for the year. Considering how many airline tickets the department buys and the schedules being set in stone a year in advance it would be possible to know how many tickets are needed each year/week/trip. Granted there would be variations (1 or 2 either way here and there) but I would think it would be mutually beneficial for the university and Delta to have an agreement. But then again maybe UND has a ticket consolidator that they have had pretty good luck with.

I would think that the Athletic Department would have some sort of contract with Delta that would allow them to lock in the fares for the year. Considering how many airline tickets the department buys and the schedules being set in stone a year in advance it would be possible to know how many tickets are needed each year/week/trip. Granted there would be variations (1 or 2 either way here and there) but I would think it would be mutually beneficial for the university and Delta to have an agreement. But then again maybe UND has a ticket consolidator that they have had pretty good luck with.

I know that they have had deals with Delta (Northwest) in the past. I don't know what they are doing right now. But that is part of the reason that I think they were probably flying out of Fargo because of schedule. Fargo gets more flights in and out than Grand Forks. They probably got a better connection that allowed them to leave later in the day by going through Fargo on this trip.

I know that they have had deals with Delta (Northwest) in the past. I don't know what they are doing right now. But that is part of the reason that I think they were probably flying out of Fargo because of schedule. Fargo gets more flights in and out than Grand Forks. They probably got a better connection that allowed them to leave later in the day by going through Fargo on this trip.

Last year - I think - didn't one of the teams get stuck in Detroit overnight on the Chicago St/NJIT road trip?

The reason they went to Fargo is probably because of United and better connections.

With United: Fargo - Chicago (game) - Newark (game) - Chicago - Fargo. Four flights. Only one leg before each game.

With Delta: GF - MSP - Chicago (game) - Detroit - Newark (game) - MSP - GF. Six flights

Also don't forget that GF now has more flights but smaller planes. We now only get the 50 seaters. They are always packed. I don't think Delta realizes how many GF people are forced to Fargo just due to seats being available.

As long as they still fly Delta, I doubt Delta cares. I think most big airlines hate small market airports.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

UND RPI Ranking: 92

UND is currently rated # 92 out of 328 DI volleyball teams.

Some perspective:

UND would be:

5th in the Big East

2nd in the Big Sky

2nd in the Summit

2nd in the Horizon

5th in the SEC

Thanks for the post! I've said it before but I'll say it again, going in to transition I don't believe anyone would have thought that our vb team would handle the transition the best. Ashlee has done some great things for the program and has it headed in the right direction. Hopefully we are able to hold on to him for awhile.

We may have been higher with two wins over #67 Drake. Both matches were 2-3 losses so UND is a good program and should only get better. Keeping the coach is a key and hopefully no school with better support in facilities, attendance, salary, broadcasting on televison and internet and recruiting ability will approach. These are important for all of UND's programs with the new conference.

• 7 months later...