SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Buy Thefts

darell1976

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting quotes:

The others charged that have NDSU ties were not recruited athletes or players that coaches spent a lot of time with, Taylor said.

“When you have 100 and some football players and some come out and say, ‘I’m going to walk on, coach,’ you let them walk on,” Taylor said. “Most of them don’t last very long. I worry more about the kids we recruit and spend time with.”

Bohl and the players cooperated with the police investigation and Bohl assisted police in arranging access to the players, Taylor said.

A Best Buy employee said managers would not comment on the case.

Sheiku Tejan Deen, 20

Deen told police he was at lunch with a bunch of football players when he heard them talking about the thefts and Ogundipe explained how it worked. Deen told police he went on three Best Buy trips, but only stole stuff for himself once. He returned to police a TV and a surround-sound system.

Affiliation: Current NDSU student.

Lakes chimes in:

i was told of this about 3 months ago, fox tv didnt want to run the story, just ran the part about reid and johnson were off the team back in february.

anyways, total inside job, 2 of them were front door security guys. did they REALLY think none of the camera's would be reviewed?? my brother works at best buy corporate. what a total bunch of idiots.

oh well. there are about 50-60 people in fargo that PRODUCTS went to, (im sure some NDSU people) but I dont think they will get in trouble... if I was in college and someone said "yo lakes, you got $300 for a 42 inch hdtv?" I'd be like. 2 please!!

Some interesting quotes:

I really do think it is sad that despite the two players being suspended last month, how forcefully some fans attacked, and continue to attack, the messengers in this. It isn't as though this is a coach K Duke team that hasn't had trouble before. How some continue to give the benefit of the doubt...I've stopped doing that a while back.

But we just can't admit when we are wrong? :silly:

I really do think it is sad that despite the two players being suspended last month, how forcefully some fans attacked, and continue to attack, the messengers in this. It isn't as though this is a coach K Duke team that hasn't had trouble before. How some continue to give the benefit of the doubt...I've stopped doing that a while back.

But we just can't admit when we are wrong? :silly:

What is the problem with the team is it the players or the lack of control of the players. If its the lack of control then Bohl should be out. He is the sheppard and his flock is out of control and the NCAA has no problems putting teams on probation. Whats the odds that NDSU has a perfect season only to not be playoff eligible for breaking NCAA rules and being on probation.

What is the problem with the team is it the players or the lack of control of the players. If its the lack of control then Bohl should be out. He is the sheppard and his flock is out of control and the NCAA has no problems putting teams on probation. Whats the odds that NDSU has a perfect season only to not be playoff eligible for breaking NCAA rules and being on probation.

With the kind of scandals and police interrogations surrounding the team, no way does this team outperform.

Last season, the Best Buy events were ongoing. Due to the extent of involvement, much of the team had to have known that there was hot merchandise floating around. There almost had to have been divisions between the players that had high ethics and those that didn't. Any wonder why there wasn't any team spirit? How is that going to heal in time for this season? Ironically the whole fan base was after Mertens who was on the ethical side. Bohl's philosophy is to let boys be boys up to a certain line. He just doesn't move that line back far enough.

The NCAA doesn't put programs on probation for crimes committed by its players. It won't be putting NDSU on probation unless Bison recruits were receiving Best Buy "gifts". Relax, bison fans, the gifts part was a joke.

With the kind of scandals and police interrogations surrounding the team, no way does this team outperform.

Last season, the Best Buy events were ongoing. Due to the extent of involvement, much of the team had to have known that there was hot merchandise floating around. There almost had to have been divisions between the players that had high ethics and those that didn't. Any wonder why there wasn't any team spirit? How is that going to heal in time for this season? Ironically the whole fan base was after Mertens who was on the ethical side. Bohl's philosophy is to let boys be boys up to a certain line. He just doesn't move that line back far enough.

The NCAA doesn't put programs on probation for crimes committed by its players. It won't be putting NDSU on probation unless Bison recruits were receiving Best Buy "gifts". Relax, bison fans, the gifts part was a joke.

I wonder if you opened a can of worms. I wonder if this will cross the minds of the NCAA...an HDTV for a recruit. Not a bad price. LOL!!

This is what I had been referring to in another thread. There are current players that have been talking openly about this for a while. They are sick of the dirty players bringing down the clean ones. That's significant because players normally protect their own, then deal out punishment in house when possible.

This is what I had been referring to in another thread. There are current players that have been talking openly about this for a while. They are sick of the dirty players bringing down the clean ones. That's significant because players normally protect their own, then deal out punishment in house when possible.

Could you imagine being a player on the team, having concerns, going to the coaching staff with them, and then essentially being told MYOB?

Could you imagine being a player on the team, having concerns, going to the coaching staff with them, and then essentially being told MYOB?

Also, what did Bohl say to the rest of the team when the two players were originally suspended? The public announcement was a team rules violation, but the entire team knew what was going on with the police. As a coach do you say, don't talk to anyone? Keep this in house until the legal process is done? Did Bohl decline further comment pending a police investigation? I don't recall him making reference to a legal process at all, just "team rules".

BTW, what does that team rulebook look like? :silly:

Beleaguered Bohl on Best Buy's Bison Boys

“As the head football coach, what you do is deal with information when it’s presented to you and we’ve certainly done that,” Bohl said.

Bohl said he conversed with athletic director Gene Taylor about the dismissals.

“We felt it was important to make a move,” he said

What about six months ago when merchandise started showing up?

Asked about repeated mistakes by his players, Bohl said, “Young people make mistakes and sometimes young people are able to learn from them. We felt it was important to move on and hopefully they move on as well.”
To the State Pen? What kind of statement is that?

Did either of these kids have a record of being in trouble in high school?

I could see not recruiting them if they did, but I doubt they did. They just decided to make some really poor choices in their short time in North Dakota.

Bohl kicked them off the team.

I really don't see what more could've been done or what could've been done differently.

The media is going to talk it up day and night because it makes them money. It's high profile and it involves NDSU athletics.

Did either of these kids have a record of being in trouble in high school?

Kolpack's Article

A search of records on Johnson after his arrest Wednesday revealed a previously unreported 2005 guilty plea of misdemeanor fifth degree assault while he was in high school in Chaska, Minn.

Just answering your question............

When the NDSU games are televised next season, will either the "Red Zone" or "End Zone" areas of the field be aptly renamed the "Reward Zone" to capitalize on their new corporate ties to Best Buy? The Bison may accumulate more points that way,and perhaps even win a couple games, as it sounds like they may not score many points on their own.

UPDATE:

More than 15 names in addition to the individuals charged are mentioned in court records as having some connection to the case. Some are said to have purchased stolen property or accompanied defendants when items were stolen.

Three of those named are connected to North Dakota State University athletic teams, including two current football players. The Forum is not naming them because they haven

The media is going to talk it up day and night because it makes them money. It's high profile and it involves NDSU athletics.

What a line of B.S. One of the biggest theft rings in the history of Fargo-Moorhead and the media is blowing it out of proportion.? Get a grip.

Why do NDSU fans attack the media, instead of addressing the real issue: their program.

This wasn't an isolated stupid "mistake" by one athlete. This was entirely premeditated, repeated over months, and known and discussed by a significant number of NDSU athletes.

Yeah, the media is always after NDSU. :silly::(

Perhaps if seven NDSU-affiliated athletes didn't repeatedly over a number of months roll carts of unpaid merchandise out of a Best Buy, NDSU wouldn't be in the news. But guess what? That type of news might not be uncommon in Los Angeles, but in Fargo it will make headlines and rightly so.

For Taylor to claim this:

“When you have 100 and some football players and some come out and say, ‘I’m going to walk on, coach,’ you let them walk on,” Taylor said. “Most of them don’t last very long. I worry more about the kids we recruit and spend time with.”
it either means Bohl is completely over his head as far as character issues, or it means Bison football doesn't give a damn about character issues.

Poor, poor Bohl and NDSU. The media isn't giving them any breaks. :silly:

Bohl's program is defaming NDSU, not the media. Can that sink into your skull?

This is the type event that brings down programs, and you blame the media? What an idiotic, self-absorbed, head-in-the sand statement. What bison fan who cared about his program wouldn't be demanding answers from Taylor and Bohl? Sadly, almost none.

2010 NDSU Felon list:

2 current players

1 player who signed and didn't make eligibility

1 walk-on who never made roster

1 walk-on who was ineligible

1 track athlete who was inelgible

1 basketball player for shoplifting

2 more football players under investigation

+15 players suspected of receiving or buying stolen goods

Wow I never saw Taylor's quote before this. Maybe he should be concerned because out of the above list of 9 ndsu coaches spent time with 7 of them during recruiting.

But like you said star, this is just the media picking on poor ndsu.