SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Herald Letter to the Editor

gfhockey

Anyone read the opinion piece in the heraldo this morning?

Thinks we should be called UND goons.

Down right awful piece and cant believe the herald published it

I read that when eating my breakfast this morning what a buffoon.

They'd have to buy the rights to the name "Goons." Goon, you could be in for a major payday!

Yeah I like the name UND goods. I also use the name ND Thugs on my fantasy teams so that would work as well for me.

I still find it funny when people associate UND sports only with hockey. They do realize there are other things, football, basketball (well, maybe not this year), baseball, softball, track and field, swimming and diving, soccer, etc.

I know of this Lunsetter through a friend. Canadian roots. His second cousin (I don't remember his name) was from central Saskatchewan. North Battleford, I think. After high school, he decided to attend UND and try out for the hockey team. Apparently, he got cut pretty quickly, while some other Canadian players his age or older made the team. I think he tried out two years in a row, failed both times, and then left school. Pretty bitter about it. Since he didn't get a degree either, he ended up working as a cashier at a 7-eleven in St. Paul, where he stayed and started a family. He had a couple of kids, including a boy, who would sign up for summer hockey camps at UND--I guess trying to reclaim his father's honor. I heard that the kid was sent home from camp because his skills were just not there and the staff thought he might get hurt. Kind of lost track of the kid until he started showing up on USCHO a lot.

Lonetree! That's his name. Happy Lonetree. Nice enough people, but I guess they never quite got over that UND rejection.

At least that's what I recall.

I know of this Lunsetter through a friend. Canadian roots. His second cousin (I don't remember his name) was from central Saskatchewan. North Battleford, I think. After high school, he decided to attend UND and try out for the hockey team. Apparently, he got cut pretty quickly, while some other Canadian players his age or older made the team. I think he tried out two years in a row, failed both times, and then left school. Pretty bitter about it. Since he didn't get a degree either, he ended up working as a cashier at a 7-eleven in St. Paul, where he stayed and started a family. He had a couple of kids, including a boy, who would sign up for summer hockey camps at UND--I guess trying to reclaim his father's honor. I heard that the kid was sent home from camp because his skills were just not there and the staff thought he might get hurt. Kind of lost track of the kid until he started showing up on USCHO a lot.

Lonetree! That's his name. Happy Lonetree. Nice enough people, but I guess they never quite got over that UND rejection.

I sat next to this same burly old bird at the F5 this last year. He kept talking about how good his son is at figure skating now. There is no checking in the ice capades. More his speed. ;)

If he was a Canadian and he is troubled by Frattin's hit, I am glad to read that he decided to settle in Minnesota. I'll bet he fits right in.

In fairness to the Herald, the linked article appears to be a letter to the editor. Therefore, it is not a Herald "editorial", but instead just the opinion of a hockey fan somewhere.

The thread should be re-named.

Anyone crying about Frattin's hit is an idiot. I don't care how many strides he took. If you play with your head down you are going to get rolled.

End of story.

Yes, remember when Toews missed some games because of a concussion and blamed himself for having his head down. I guess that is what you would expect from someone who isn't prone to whine about anything. Interesting to know Mr. Lunsetter's background. Would have been nice to have that thrown in at the end of his editorial so everyone can understand where his jaded perspective is coming from.

In fairness to the Herald, the linked article appears to be a letter to the editor. Therefore, it is not a Herald "editorial", but instead just the opinion of a hockey fan somewhere.

The thread should be re-named.

You are correct. It is simply a letter to the editor, not an editorial.

I read in the paper that the NHL is going to crack down on headshots. Blindside hits where the head is targeted, or those hits on an unsuspecting player where the head takes the brunt of the hit. Well, Wehrs saw it coming. Frattin left his feet and still deserved a major for that, but less and less do I think that was worthy of a suspension. The head was definitely not targeted.

I read in the paper that the NHL is going to crack down on headshots. Blindside hits where the head is targeted, or those hits on an unsuspecting player where the head takes the brunt of the hit. Well, Wehrs saw it coming. Frattin left his feet and still deserved a major for that, but less and less do I think that was worthy of a suspension. The head was definitely not targeted.

yep, starting i believe yesterday..hits to the head in the NHL are temporarily banned and will result in a suspension. A permanent rule will be looked at this summer.