SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs GOPHERS

AZSIOUX

I believe that was the Valentine's Day weekend Saturday-Sunday afternoon series in 1998. That was the Sunday afternoon game where we trailed 3-0 in the third period and scored 5 unanswered goals (including the empty netter) to sweep the Rodents. The live gopher was thrown on the ice after the 2 on 1 goal by the Panzer brothers cut the Gopher lead to 3-2. I still have the game on VHS at home and I will NEVER part with it! :blush:

I wonder how many students are changing their Spring Break travel plans even as we speak! We need a jam packed Ralph next weekend, I want Rodentia on the golf course while we are winning the Broadmoor Trophy in St. Paul! GO SIOUX!!!

I think that was the game I was late for. I was even debating about going to the game since we were already down 3.

Turns out I made the right decision for once.

Gophers are going to be playing with a lot of pressure on them to not get shut out of the final five on their home turf. They are going to be a motivated group and probably throw everything and the kitchen sink at us. We really need Eids to be on top of his game during this series. If we can strike early on the gophers I think we have a good chance at ratteling them and getting into the goalies head. I think all sioux fans would like to see a little payback from the debacle in MSP in Jan.

The way these two teams play each other, it's bound to be a great series. I always worry about injuries and suspensions when we play the Goofs. They have little to lose and we have a lot to lose.......

The way these two teams play each other, it's bound to be a great series. I always worry about injuries and suspensions when we play the Goofs. They have little to lose and we have a lot to lose.......

The Gophers have to win the Final Five to get to the NCAA Tournament. If we lose next weekend, we still figure to get an at-large bid. Of course, our seeding will suffer big-time if that happens. And the humiliation of losing in the first round at home to the Rodents would be hard to swallow. We...must...win...next...weekend!

I think it's going to be a very tough series and I think it will go to 3 games. I give the Sioux the edge but this is it for the gophers. Win or go home for the year. I don't think they will go out quietly.

i hate to agree with regarding the topic above. :blush:

You heard it hear first......We will get Derek Sheppard and Marco Hunt as the Referees for the Playoffs as Old Man Sheppard thinks his son is the best REF in the WCHA and gives him all the big games and this has to be the biggest series of the five in the WCHA? Duluth and CC will be good but the rivalry between the Sioux and Gophers will make it even more heated and a trip to Final 5 on the line in St. Paul.......Again expect Sheppard and Hunt to wear the Orange and you know what that means?:blush:?

You heard it hear first......We will get Derek Sheppard and Marco Hunt as the Referees for the Playoffs as Old Man Sheppard thinks his son is the best REF in the WCHA and gives him all the big games and this has to be the biggest series of the five in the WCHA? Duluth and CC will be good but the rivalry between the Sioux and Gophers will make it even more heated and a trip to Final 5 on the line in St. Paul.......Again expect Sheppard and Hunt to wear the Orange and you know what that means?:blush:?

If it were in Minneapolis we'd see Donna Adam.

Hate to say it, but we should really be prepared to get jobbed this upcoming weekend. No way upper brass will allow a gopher-less F5. That's too bad. Could have been a really good hockey series. Unfortunately...I don't even have to say it...

That's a little hard to believe.

I do expect to have Shepturd in attendance for at least two of the games. I also expect Derek Shepherd to get our series which is good considering the alternative would be Todd "Angry at the World" Anderson or worse Don "Kill em all No call" Adam.

All I can say again is this:

We need to play like we did on Friday night 2nd and 3rd periods. If we play like we did tonight and in the first period of Friday's game against Minny, well... siouxfan77 won't have to worry about the WCHA taking action. We'll put them in ourselves.

We sure picked a good time to get hot...7 in a row and a lock for an at large bid is now ours. I posted elsewhere that UMD has had the opposite fall compared to our climb.

That said, it is imperative that we keep getting better every weekend. While tonight was not pretty, we persevered, and came from behind to win.

Gophers, boy, it'll be a good one. We've ended a lot of U of M seasons the past five or six years.

Minnesota will skate with us, meaning that it should be entertaining hockey.

Minnesota's forecheck is very good, and they will be all over our defense. We will need to make good outlet passes. If Jake Marto is out, that will severely impact our chances.

I think we win on depth and physicality. they do have some top end talent that can definitely make it interesting.

As for officiating: score 6 goals and the refs can't job us.

This will be the first trip to Grand Forks for that little Raisin Hunter, Jacob Cepis..... I sure hope that whoever McCloud sends to officiate the series realizes that the little turd burglar will be diving left and right in an embarassing attempt to be the next Robbie Earl (with orange hair)...

I sure hope the ticket office was open after the game so Sioux fans can gobble up tickets before the gopher faithful (if any left) can get at them. We don't want anymore brawls after games.

Yes, the REA ticket office was open after the game. There was still a long line when I left which was at least 20 minutes after the game ended.

Gophs have loads of talent and they are desperate. Only way for them to avoid a total failure of a season is to come out of this series alive. Don't expect the usual favors (of lack of urgency) from them this time. If the Sioux pass as poorly getting out of the zone and on the PP next weekend as they did this weekend, the results will not be good.

This is gonna be tough series no doubt, it's the playoffs but pride is on the line as well. I can't believe it shook up this way, has to be huge motivation for each team to keep the other out of saint paul. I really think it could end up going 3 games, but if the sioux play like they have the last few weeks it should go their way.

if the sioux play the way they did against scsu, umd, and cc, then i see it going our way. if they play the way they did this weekend against umt, it could be a tough weekend.