SiouxSports.com Forum

Oil Booms in North Dakota

star2city

• 2 weeks later...

The Herald is asking Petroleum Engineers if train loads of Bakken oil are safe with the new standards. Petroleum Engineers can't answer that question, because its in the realm of physical chemistry. Chemical engineers and physical chemists are the ones to ask. Its like asking a Dr about the afterlife, when they should be inquiring to pastors or theologians.

I think the Nat gas constituents concentrations in Bakken oil, like methane, ethane, and propane, should be reduced further, but such a setup is expensive, especially when it will only be used for a couple years before pipelines take over. Each loading platform would need a mini-refinery to strip the gases and recover them. The oil and transportation companies do not want to add expenses now when pipeline solutions are just down the road. If Minnesota would just have an urgency to allow pipelines to cross the state, Dayton and their Senators would have a right to bitch. If I owned an oil company, I would insist that the Bakken oil be stabilized for safety reason, but the railroad companies, especially Buffett's BNSF, call the shots.

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is that the polyethylene plant will be built in Jamestown. The state authorized a water pipeline from the Missouri for the CHS ammonia plant. The polyethylene plant could be built next door, saving on facilities like steam plants and effluent treatment.

If the plastic plant gets built near Jamestown, somewhere like Linton could benefit too, as a ethane separation plant needs to be built too and then piped to Jamestown. A OneOk Nat gas pipeline runs near Linton, and the gas is approaching the limit for ethane, so something has to be done.

My guess is that the polyethylene plant will be built in Jamestown. The state authorized a water pipeline from the Missouri for the CHS ammonia plant. The polyethylene plant could be built next door, saving on facilities like steam plants and effluent treatment.

If the plastic plant gets built near Jamestown, somewhere like Linton could benefit too, as a ethane separation plant needs to be built too and then piped to Jamestown. A OneOk Nat gas pipeline runs near Linton, and the gas is approaching the limit for ethane, so something has to be done.

Jamestown is really lacking the workforce and housing necessary to staff another large employer. Hopefully they can figure something out.

Jamestown is really lacking the workforce and housing necessary to staff another large employer. Hopefully they can figure something out.

The construction workforce for the ammonia plant can transition into construction for the plastic plant. Both plants benefit in costs and in capital. Jamestown could be 10 k or more larger longterm, but the huge construction manpower would be nearly steady for three or four years. Some mancamps from out west can move there.

The state wants to shift growth east between the RRV and the Missouri/Souris, as that part hasn't any growth to speak of.

• 3 weeks later...

Not oil, but who among you public companly investors can tell me who this is:

Uranium Exploration, Inc.

They issued shares in 1953, but can't find what became of them. Now a different company, still with value?  Or a defunct company with worthless shares?

They issued shares in 1953, but can't find what became of them. Now a different company, still with value?  Or a defunct company with worthless shares?

Take it to a broker and have them do a search on it.

In 1953 there was a uranium stock boom, as wild ideas like nuclear powered airplanes were in fashion. The uranium industry has gone through many cycles since then, but went downhill again after Fukushima. You never know though, as it might be part of the Kazahkstan uranium buyout that Hilary and Bill profited from.

Take it to a broker and have them do a search on it.

In 1953 there was a uranium stock boom, as wild ideas like nuclear powered airplanes were in fashion. The uranium industry has gone through many cycles since then, but went downhill again after Fukushima. You never know though, as it might be part of the Kazahkstan uranium buyout that Hilary and Bill profited from.

Broker can't find any records. Suspect the company didn't survive for long. Certificate was issued in Minot.

Frame it. But try another broker first. If you know the state of incorporation, try that states Attorney General or Commerce Dept.

It was ND, and they have no records for the company. Sec. of State here.

It was ND, and they have no records for the company. Sec. of State here.

Try Montana. It looks like they may have actually incorporated in Malta, MT which is in Phillips County.

http://mtmemory.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15018coll45/id/254

URANIUM ORE STRIKE REPORTED IN LITTLE ROCKIES MALTA - A strike of uranium ore in the Little Rocky Mountains, 50 miles south of Malta, have been reported by the Uranium Exploration. Inc., Minot. N. D., who have filed incorporation papers with the county clerk and recorder. The location is approximately one mile west of the Saddle above Ruby Gulch in Lodgepole Canyon.

From 26 August, 1955

The article is at the bottom right corner of the first page.

There used to be a uranium mine around Belfield, and other places in the state.

Map of Uranium deposits

https://www.dmr.nd.gov/ndgs/mineral/uranium.asp

Article from about 2007 about renewed interest.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-09-06-1930458336_x.htm

Hell our new Menards opens in September and we can't find workers to fill the positions. Help wanted signs everywhere here.

Sounds like every place in North Dakota.

For sure but it has really gotten bad here the last 6-12 months. Along with Menards there are 3 new hotels, a strip mall, and talk of a BWW and a Culvers. Nothing like out west but for here I have never seen anything like it.

For sure but it has really gotten bad here the last 6-12 months. Along with Menards there are 3 new hotels, a strip mall, and talk of a BWW and a Culvers. Nothing like out west but for here I have never seen anything like it.

I have a relative in Jamestown who clued me in on what's happening. A lot of folks from the western part of the state that would have retired in Bismarck or Minot in the past have decided to move to Jamestown instead (cause: oil). That's triggered this growth spurt. Call it a secondary effect of the Bakken. 

Hell our new Menards opens in September and we can't find workers to fill the positions. Help wanted signs everywhere here.

I live out-of-state.  Glad to hear Jamestown is doing well.  Other than construction, why is the city doing so well?

I live out-of-state.  Glad to hear Jamestown is doing well.  Other than construction, why is the city doing so well?

New regional hospital, expanding prison population, new fertilizer plant, new menards, new old people.