SiouxSports.com Forum

SDSU's Football Stadium plans

The Sicatoka

Long-term, I wonder how much (if any) of a disadvantage it is for SDSU to be the only one of the four Dakota dI schools to still play outside? It may not matter that much when recruiting kids from the region who are used to playing outside in the cold, but for a kid from Arizona, for example, who may have offers from SDSU and at least one of the other Dakota schools, might playing inside be a factor in his decision? I wonder if it was for R.J. McGill?

Long-term, I wonder how much (if any) of a disadvantage it is for SDSU to be the only one of the four Dakota dI schools to still play outside? It may not matter that much when recruiting kids from the region who are used to playing outside in the cold, but for a kid from Arizona, for example, who may have offers from SDSU and at least one of the other Dakota schools, might playing inside be a factor in his decision? I wonder if it was for R.J. McGill?

Funny you mention Arizona, I think their really good DE (may have been all american) is from AZ.

From what I heard abot McGill - SDSU wanted him to play defense and he wanted a chance to play offense.

Funny you mention Arizona, I think their really good DE (may have been all american) is from AZ.

True, but my understanding is that Arizona is becoming more and more heavily recruited by FCS schools. I wonder what other offers Batten had coming out of high school? Who knows, maybe SDSU was his only dI offer. SDSU offered a handful of AZ kids this year, but didn't get any of them. I'm just wondering whether that was merely a fluke, or perhaps a sign of things to come?

I honestly believe that if UND were still playing outside, we would not have gotten most (maybe any?) of the kids we've gotten in the past few years from CA, AZ, FL or TX.

True, but my understanding is that Arizona is becoming more and more heavily recruited by FCS schools. I wonder what other offers Batten had coming out of high school? Who knows, maybe SDSU was his only dI offer. SDSU offered a handful of AZ kids this year, but didn't get any of them. I'm just wondering whether that was merely a fluke, or perhaps a sign of things to come?

I honestly believe that if UND were still playing outside, we would not have gotten most (maybe any?) of the kids we've gotten in the past few years from CA, AZ, FL or TX.

Sure, but it's still freezing cold in Grand Forks during recruiting season. Has UND devised a way to keep recruits in climate controlled settings the entire recruiting trip?

I know NDSU recruited Phoenix this year and we may still get one player, but as of now we did not get any players from AZ.

Has UND devised a way to keep recruits in climate controlled settings the entire recruiting trip?

We have this new, secret plan to install something called a "furnace" in certain key sod huts and tin shacks used during recruiting visits. We'll try it, but I'm not sure this "furnace" thing isn't more than a fad.

(Rumor has it Coach Muss may try to put a "furnace" into his horse-drawn buggy. That's just plain crazy talk I'm sure.)

The video on the Dykhouse was actually pretty impressive. The locker room, coach's offices and weight training facility were especially nice. ndsu and now SDSU are killing us in recruiting on those specific facilities.

Bottom line: Build....the....indoor.....practice.....facility.....now......please...

Their plans are similar to ours, a master plan for the future. Where the 50-75 millions dollars comes from is another matter. This could be 15-25 years before they build it, like ours.

They're lucky enough that they can easily build it in phases. The most likely scenario is that they will first tear down the east stands and replace them with a permanent concrete structure and a "temporary" media box. Once that's done, they can tear down the concrete west stands and replace that with a larger structure that includes suites and a new press box. Finally, they can enclose the south endzone to make the whole structure a horseshoe. The total construction can be spread out over a decade or more if needed. They feel a little bit under the gun because the current west stands are deteriorating and something has to be done in the next 5-7 years. They're also feeling the need to start phase 2 of the Dykhouse Center, which is an indoor practice facility built onto the north side of the current structure.

They're lucky enough that they can easily build it in phases. The most likely scenario is that they will first tear down the east stands and replace them with a permanent concrete structure and a "temporary" media box. Once that's done, they can tear down the concrete west stands and replace that with a larger structure that includes suites and a new press box. Finally, they can enclose the south endzone to make the whole structure a horseshoe. The total construction can be spread out over a decade or more if needed. They feel a little bit under the gun because the current west stands are deteriorating and something has to be done in the next 5-7 years. They're also feeling the need to start phase 2 of the Dykhouse Center, which is an indoor practice facility built onto the north side of the current structure.

If they did build a dedicated indoor practice facility onto Dykhouse and two new grandstands one of which having a club level, suites and press box (something like Appalachian St), even with a capacity close to 20k, they would have the best football facilities in the Dakotas.

I went to the UND-SDSU game in Brookings in 2002 (the game Kelby Klosterman got injured in :) ) and I thought it was a total dump. The west stands looked like something out of the Depression era and the east stands were so fragile-looking that I thought I might break through them! That was over seven years ago and there is no telling how bad they are now.

I wish them luck in improving their stadium situation, it will hurt their recruiting sooner or later.

Did I miss them or is there no renderings of the new stadium?

While the DykeHouse is nice. Its something they were missing for years. As I think the players didn't even have locker rooms at "the stadium" before that. Or it was like a trailer behind the seats?

No renderings yet. This was the first step of the process: identifying needs. The second step is in progress: identifying how much money can be raised over the next decade. That marketing report should be finished in the next few months. Once that data is in, then specs can go out to architects to create preliminary plans and renderings.

I went to the UND-SDSU game in Brookings in 2002 (the game Kelby Klosterman got injured in :) ) and I thought it was a total dump. The west stands looked like something out of the Depression era and the east stands were so fragile-looking that I thought I might break through them! That was over seven years ago and there is no telling how bad they are now.

I wish them luck in improving their stadium situation, it will hurt their recruiting sooner or later.

Stadium may be a dump but its one of the funnest stadiums to play in as a player. If there attendance keeps improving and the team keeps winning I don't really doubt it will have a huge effect on recruiting. Kids wanna play for a winner. There are a lot worse stadiums out there than SDSU's.

Stadium may be a dump but its one of the funnest stadiums to play in as a player. If there attendance keeps improving and the team keeps winning I don't really doubt it will have a huge effect on recruiting. Kids wanna play for a winner. There are a lot worse stadiums out there than SDSU's.

Yeah, because what player doesn't want to play on that slop-fest "grass" field?

I won't take SDSU's stadium serious until they get turf. The NCAA should require any DI outdoor football stadium north of some climate line to have turf.

I won't take SDSU's stadium serious until they get turf. The NCAA should require any DI outdoor football stadium north of some climate line to have turf.

I love watching football on a wet, rainy, muddy field. I also like playing on such fields. That's classic rough and tough gridiron football, brusied, bloody and dirty!

Why? Because the Bison have struggled there. Its a nice advantage and Stig builds his teams around that grass field. Teams that aren't used to playing on grass struggle with it. Its called homefield for a reason. If you honestly believe the NCAA should step in a decide what type of surface a team has to have on their field your an idiot. Do you also think that games should be held in a scrimmage type setting with no fans so crowd noise isn't a factor in games? I also highly doubt that SDSU cares what NDSU fans think about their stadium and whether they take it serious. They only care about continuing to have the upper hand in the rivalry.

Why? Because the Bison have struggled there. Its a nice advantage and Stig builds his teams around that grass field. Teams that aren't used to playing on grass struggle with it. Its called homefield for a reason. If you honestly believe the NCAA should step in a decide what type of surface a team has to have on their field your an idiot. Do you also think that games should be held in a scrimmage type setting with no fans so crowd noise isn't a factor in games? I also highly doubt that SDSU cares what NDSU fans think about their stadium and whether they take it serious. They only care about continuing to have the upper hand in the rivalry.

Require turf? :)

I posted this elsewhere but seems to fit here.... Onside Kick Was Dirty Pool

The author's premise is that onside kicks at the start of a half are unfair, because each team should "receive" the ball when it is their turn. With the outlandish points Mpls makes on this board, he may very well be the author. There is a poll on the site in which 2.5% of the readers agree with him. 96.7% disagree, many leaving humorous comments.

Require turf? :)

I posted this elsewhere but seems to fit here.... Onside Kick Was Dirty Pool

The author's premise is that onside kicks at the start of a half are unfair, because each team should "receive" the ball when it is their turn. With the outlandish points Mpls makes on this board, he may very well be the author. There is a poll on the site in which 2.5% of the readers agree with him. 96.7% disagree, many leaving humorous comments.

:sad::lol::lol: That guy is taking the "everyone gets a ribbon" thought a little to far. I can't believe what some people think. I've never been drunk enough to even think thats close to a good idea.

Should the home team be allowed to dump broken glass and fire ants on the visiting team sideline? Obviously not.

So then, it's logically established: a home team should not be allowed to keep their field in whatever condition they choose.

Thus, the only point to debate is where is the line drawn? What should a home team be able to get away with and what should they not be allowed?

I see it as no stretch of credibility that a home team in DI be required to maintain a surface that, within reason, upholds the highest standard of player safety and performance. Without doubt, a sloppy, muddy, junior high field does neither.