SiouxSports.com Forum

2010 Season

UND Fan

The best thing is that UND stood firm (on this at least) and did not give in to the 2 for 1 arrangement that SDSU was demanding. We are not USD.

SDSU had only 4 home games. Who was in the position of weakness?

What isn't known is what the buyout is. By making the return game as late as 2013, there's an off-chance SDSU will have a free home game if UND somehow gets in the MVFC by that year.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing is that UND stood firm (on this at least) and did not give in to the 2 for 1 arrangement that SDSU was demanding. We are not USD.

SDSU had only 4 home games. Who was in the position of weakness?

What isn't known is what the buyout is. By making the return game as late as 2013, there's an off-chance SDSU will have a free home game if UND somehow gets in the MVFC by that year.

FromQ&A chat with Dan Hammer

Brian Faison: The buyout is $100,000.

Jacks tab UND for last 2010 opening

Although talks between the Jackrabbits and UND had happened on and off for months, the agreement materialized in the past few days, according to Sell, accelerated by the news that the school will retire its Fighting Sioux logo and nickname - deemed hostile and abusive by the NCAA - by Nov. 30.

Some schools, such as Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin, have had policies in place preventing them from playing UND in non-conference games as long as the nickname controversy was unresolved. The Summit League has taken a similar stance on considering the Sioux for membership.

Although the Jacks have previously scheduled UND in other sports, Sell met with academic and athletic staffers at SDSU before approving the football contract, seeking information and opinions. That included Nana Allison-Brewer, the only Native American head coach in Division I volleyball.

"It'd be great if we could have held off," she said, "but I think Justin has done a great job of being proactive and using this as an educational opportunity. It's a bigger issue than just sports."

Likewise, the football schedule is about more than one game.

So if scheduling the Sioux works well for a 5th home game, it's okay. :silly: What a load of manure.

If the Fighting Sioux name stays, are we going to hear complaining from Brookings?

Edited by GeauxSioux

Jacks tab UND for last 2010 opening

If the Fighting Sioux name stays, are we going to hear complaining from Brookings?

My guess is that if the Fighting Sioux name stays, they will not be returning the trip to the Alerus. :silly:

Not sure if that would void the $100 k buyout or not. I'd be interested in seeing the verbage in the contract, if there is any, regarding the nickname and logo.

I would also guess that is the reason why the return game is "tentatively" scheduled for 2013, with the possibility of it being moved up to 2011 or 2012.

Maybe I'm wrong. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Time changes made to 2010 schedule

Saturday, Sept. 18 vs. Northeastern State (Potato Bowl) 4 p.m.

Saturday, Sept. 25vs. Northwestern State 4 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 9 vs. Southern Utah (Homecoming) 4 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 30 vs. Lamar (Hall of Fame) Noon

Saturday, Nov. 6 vs. UC Davis Noon

The first three games are still at 4. But the last two games have been moved up to Noon. I wonder what the reasoning behind that was? Flight schedules of the other teams?

The first three games are still at 4. But the last two games have been moved up to Noon. I wonder what the reasoning behind that was? Flight schedules of the other teams?

Fox College Sports likes the noon starts (which is 1 PM ET) so another game can be fully telecast at 4 PM ET.

Football/Basketball/Hockey weekends???

We start the year at Idaho and at Northern Illinois. Two FBS teams that played in bowl games last year.

Next, lets take a look at the final 3 games of the year:

Home vs. UC-Davis

At Montana

At SDSU

This is one hell of a schedule. I cannot imagine any FCS team having a tougher road schedule than this.

The teams on Cal Poly's road schedule may or may not be as tough as UND's, but the fact that they are on the road for 5 straight weeks in 5 different states certainly makes Cal Poly road schedule tough. Cal Poly starts on the road in Texas against Texas State, then travels to Louisiana to take on McNeese State, then return to California to play Fresno State, then on the road to Virginia to play Old Dominion and finish up on the road to Utah to take on SUU. They then have two home games before hitting the road to South Dakota to take on USD.

The teams on Cal Poly's road schedule may or may not be as tough as UND's, but the fact that they are on the road for 5 straight weeks in 5 different states certainly makes Cal Poly road schedule tough. Cal Poly starts on the road in Texas against Texas State, then travels to Louisiana to take on McNeese State, then return to California to play Fresno State, then on the road to Virginia to play Old Dominion and finish up on the road to Utah to take on SUU. They then have two home games before hitting the road to South Dakota to take on USD.

Ouch!!!! :silly::D

Stang:

Tough schedule to start the season.

Texas St/McNeese St - split

Fresno St - L

Old Dominion - W

SUU - L

You would have to be thrilled with 3 wins and be happy with 2 wins to start the season.

And some of you wonder why Great West Football isn't viable long term with five. Actually, if your reading this you probably get it. Anyone dropping by from the Hockey or nickname threads, chime in.

And some of you wonder why Great West Football isn't viable long term with five. Actually, if your reading this you probably get it. Anyone dropping by from the Hockey or nickname threads, chime in.

Who wonders that? I don't think anyone would argue that the great west is a viable long term option for football. Its what we simply have right now.

We need to find a better football conference. I think everyone would agree with that

Who wonders that? I don't think anyone would argue that the great west is a viable long term option for football. Its what we simply have right now.

We need to find a better football conference. I think everyone would agree with that

That was for the "we already have conferences in football and hockey, screw the other sports" crowd. I guess I didn't make my point very well. :silly:

• 1 month later...

Talked to the fb weight lifting coach. He said he expects UND to hopefully have as good a record in 10 as they did in 09. But he said the schedule is pretty tough.

I asked him if anyone of the seniors can play at the next level he said the coaches feel Ty Boyle has a chance.

He said the o line has put on some weight getting them closer to the 300 pound range.

I asked him about 2 young o lineman Doeling and Field who left the program. He said one was homesick and the other had girl friend issues.

You hate to see the big guys leave.

Should be a fun season, can't wait. Go Sioux.

My excitement for this season is starting to build. Only a little over a month left before they start training camp. August 3 I believe. Who do you think will be the impact players this year? Will we continue to see a dual QB strategy? Will Anderson live up to his potential that we've been hearing about for so long now? Who will be the unheard of player who steps up big this year? What freshman will contribute(both redshirts and true)? How good is this defense going to be compared to those of the past(I think an unfair comparison as we are now playing much more athletic teams)?

Just trying to get some conversations going here!

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't it get annoying when we have to adjust our football schedule to fit some National TV contract? :glare:

Tell me about it. Down here we had to move the Texas game from its usual November slot to the 3rd game of the year in order to suit ABC/ESPN. (Actually, I think it was a choice the schools accepted in order to get a prime time slot and probably ESPN College Game Day on campus.) And us with a new coach and a new defense that won't have time to get settled in good. Whippee! At least it's in our stadium at night. Just as bad as that change, two of our non-conf games got moved to the end of the year instead of up front. WTF? And in the shuffle we lost our game with TCU and get Weber St instead. Weber St as the 11th game? Really? That'll help us in the late-season polls for sure. :)

And all of a sudden, I can relate to a conference without much of a long-term future, too. We don't quite have the status to guarantee we won't get left behind in some kind of future shuffle.

Are y'all as anxious as I am to start playing some football? Less than 60 days now. ;) I've got some new season tickets on the 50 yard line and I can't wait to try them out.

No FSSN schedule or coordinates yet, maybe not even a TV deal yet with WDAZ, but, for those with KU band, the Sioux at Montana will be uplinked to satellite somewhere, coordinates posted on the Grizzly web site each week before the game that weekend.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/even...?e=227&m=18

Galaxy 28 at 89W was the most used satellite for Griz games last season. Would not be surprised to see Midco cable pick up this feed.

New Sioux Football Insider blog entry.

Delano Saporu has decided to leave the team after battling injuries his entire career. The Blaine, MN product arrived in the fall of 2008 and didnt redshirt that season. He played quite a bit on defense and special teams. Quite a disappointing end to his career at UND for Saporu. We wish Delano the best with his future endeavors.