SiouxSports.com Forum

Dusting off an old thread: Fire Hakstol?

Goon

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity, Does anyone know how the cost of living in Madison compares to Grand Forks/Minneapolis? Also, Shyiak's is the lowest salary out of the ten...however, what is the cost of living in Alaska? The only thing that I have ever heard is that groceries are really expensive there because of the cost of shipping everything there?

Don't feel sorry for Shyiak. Based on what I know he is overpaid.

Yeah, I agree. Lucia is an excellent coach, there should be no denying that. Plus, you could use the same logic as the OLE YOULKINN to argue that York is a massive choke artist. It took him 3 kicks at the can in a row to put one through and get that 2nd title. He lost in the title game twice before the 2008 title win.

I'd still call York a great coach for his accomplishments, but how long into his coaching career did it take him to get the first one? How many years for Gwoz...

York coached at Clarkson for 7 years w/o a title and 5 more at Bowling Green before pulling one out in 1984. He coached at BC for 7 years before getting another.

Gwoz took 10 years at DU to get his first. Lucia, was much quicker at UM, but laid a goose egg at CC.

So great coaches sometimes don't bring home the hardware. It remains to be seen if Hak will do it, but it's not like he's not accomplished in the meantime.

One of the best coaches in the WCHA if not entire US has no titles, but has done more with his team of "rejects" than many thought possible, in several seasons. "Great coaches" are not all defined by championships. Furthermore, if the Sioux aren't careful this coach's team will take three more points from them in Feb.

I'm not on the "fire Hak" bandwagon, not at all. But if you want to talk bringing another coach into UND besides Hak or Eades who can take a team stacked with talent and run Gwoz, York, Blaise, and Blasi out of the building, my money is on Mr. Sandelin.

One of the best coaches in the WCHA if not entire US has no titles, but has done more with his team of "rejects" than many thought possible, in several seasons. "Great coaches" are not all defined by championships. Furthermore, if the Sioux aren't careful this coach's team will take three more points from them in Feb.

I'm not on the "fire Hak" bandwagon, not at all. But if you want to talk bringing another coach into UND besides Hak or Eades who can take a team stacked with talent and run Gwoz, York, Blaise, and Blasi out of the building, my money is on Mr. Sandelin.

And they were ready to fire Scott in Duluth not that long ago. That goes to show how fickle sports fans can be. I believe that Hak will be at UND for awhile, but whenever he leaves it would seem that Sandelin, Eades, Steve Johnson, Brad Berry and maybe 1 or 2 others would be in a favored group to get the job. Or at least be strongly considered.

And they were ready to fire Scott in Duluth not that long ago. That goes to show how fickle sports fans can be. I believe that Hak will be at UND for awhile, but whenever he leaves it would seem that Sandelin, Eades, Steve Johnson, Brad Berry and maybe 1 or 2 others would be in a favored group to get the job. Or at least be strongly considered.

And, as long as we're dreaming, there's this guy named Tippett... :ohmy:

I'm not on the fire Hak bandwagon cause he is a good coach and WILL win a Nat'l Title.

But.....EIDSNESS is brutal. and has been the whole time he has been here. the Sioux will NOT win a Nat'l title with him in net. They need to quit recruiting goalies from the AJHL. Good goalies are in the USHL or NTDP or Minnesota highschool or Shattuck. Eids is aweful with rebounds, gives up soft and untimely goals, and is clueless on where the puck is 95% of the time.

But.....EIDSNESS is brutal. and has been the whole time he has been here. the Sioux will NOT win a Nat'l title with him in net. They need to quit recruiting goalies from the AJHL. Good goalies are in the USHL or NTDP or Minnesota highschool or Shattuck. Eids is aweful with rebounds, gives up soft and untimely goals, and is clueless on where the puck is 95% of the time.

That's part of what has killed this team so far this year!

What's killed this team is no Chay due to injury and no VV due to who knows what.

Remember before Sat all our losses were by one goal.

You have to think that Friday in Denver and Minneapolis and Saturday in Duluth would've had different outcomes with Chay back there. 3 wins instead of two losses and a tie...against those teams? With our youth...we would be looking like a contender.

I do agree that Eids is not the man.

Interesting what Sandelin does...his teams are not loaded with NHLers, but he gets the most out of them.

this team had no clue how to play without genoway right away and it showed simply not being able to close out games since he went down and the record proves that. i know they dont show ice time a lot in college hockey but chay was a machine out there when you really take a step back and notice how much ice time he logged in all situations and especially in the last 8 minutes of many games in his career. the thing about eids is that he hasnt stole a game for the sioux. this goes back few years with the goalies and some nights when you arent going to get 3 or 4 which almost guarentees a win for the sioux behind BE you need your goalie to step up and win 3 or 4 games per year that way. im realistic and understand he cant perfect by any means and im also not as down on eids as many are around sioux nation either. i would like to see a couple games where the sioux only put up 1 or 2 goals to get a W and that means he steps his game up a level. slowly they are moving into the right direction while taking lumps along the way whch in the end could be very valuable or this team. ill say they pout a nice 3-4 weeks together vs this buzzsaw of a schedule. this doesnt mean they win every game vs 3 top ncaa teams but i think if they can get it going out east then they can bring that back and get ready for the tough wcha run. vv is a key guy that has to step his up for this team. hes way to talented not to be cashing in and with frattin back and a few games under his belt i hope that line can get rolling. hell all the sioux losses except last sat night vs gophers have been 1 goal losses. meaning the sioux are in every game pretty much but just need that extra defensive play/goal or a great stop at one end. when they start getting one of those things to happen then who knows what can happen with this team. cant wait to find out though and hope it starts out great in cornell!! go sioux, go eids!! and lets go boys!! show them some sioux hockey out east!

I'm not on the fire Hak bandwagon cause he is a good coach and WILL win a Nat'l Title.

Here's what bothers me about the Eidsness situation -

Consider the recruiting conditions - we are recruiting a goalie for a team that has been to the Frozen Four the past 4 years in a row - a team that has won 7 National Championscips

We have the best program, fans, and arena in college hockey

We have a great team returning

The goalie we recruit is almost assured of starting right away and being a four year starter

If we get a stud to come in, he is going to be in the running for a National Championship for his entire career

Given all this - the best we come up with is Eidsness

The best we can do the next year is a guy (admittedly unproven) that can't beat out Eidsness

Given all the recruiting positives, why can't we get a shut down goalie to come here? You would think the great prospects in goal would have been lined up to sign with the Sioux - Did we misjudge the talent?

I agree - we'll never win it all with Eidnsess - the only hope is a kid that is still in High School. This just doesn't add up to me

Here's what bothers me about the Eidsness situation -

Consider the recruiting conditions - we are recruiting a goalie for a team that has been to the Frozen Four the past 4 years in a row - a team that has won 7 National Championscips

We have the best program, fans, and arena in college hockey

We have a great team returning

The goalie we recruit is almost assured of starting right away and being a four year starter

If we get a stud to come in, he is going to be in the running for a National Championship for his entire career

Given all this - the best we come up with is Eidsness

The best we can do the next year is a guy (admittedly unproven) that can't beat out Eidsness

Given all the recruiting positives, why can't we get a shut down goalie to come here? You would think the great prospects in goal would have been lined up to sign with the Sioux - Did we misjudge the talent?

I agree - we'll never win it all with Eidnsess - the only hope is a kid that is still in High School. This just doesn't add up to me

I have said it before and I will say it again goaltending is holding this team back. I can think a multiple games where the goaltending has cost us points. Second game against Minnesota, Eids over plays the puck against the Gophers that play cost the Sioux a win. The second Wisconsin game, the Sioux tie the game only to watch BE give up another weak goal and let the Badgers take the lead back in the game, that goal was a momentum killer. The game against the UMD Bulldogs, even though the puck hit the net above the glass and you can see Eids looking at the puck in the net, he should have played to the whistle, on that goal, he wasn

I have said it before and I will say it again goaltending is holding this team back. I can think a multiple games where the goaltending has cost us points. Second game against Minnesota, Eids over plays the puck against the Gophers that play cost the Sioux a win. The second Wisconsin game, the Sioux tie the game only to watch BE give up another weak goal and let the Badgers take the lead back in the game, that goal was a momentum killer. The game against the UMD Bulldogs, even though the puck hit the net above the glass and you can see Eids looking at the puck in the net, he should have played to the whistle, on that goal, he wasn

i dont think eids is as bad as some think. just dont. does he need to step up? yes he does as others do as well on the team. i would love to see him steal a game here and there as that can be huge for the overall team make up but i just dont think he is the main problem.

I'm not sure....all losses by one goal (except the last one)? This team would be high in the standings with a shutdown goalie. I don't think Eids is as good as either Lammy or Parise before him, who often stole games for us. Eids isn't stealing any.

I'm not sure....all losses by one goal (except the last one)? This team would be high in the standings with a shutdown goalie. I don't think Eids is as good as either Lammy or Parise before him, who often stole games for us. Eids isn't stealing any.

and then when it really counted in the frozen 4 we got worked 3 years in a row almost by BC and the goaltending wasnt anything close to brag about. jpl didnt steal many games until his senior season when he was flat out awesome. i agree eids needs to step up and win a couple games when the offense isnt clicking. goaltending isnt like recruiting a top notch forward or d man as many know. its such a different position and hope eids can turn it up a notch and get this team rolling

im calling a start from Dell this weekend! book it :ohmy: just a hunch

Interesting what Sandelin does...his teams are not loaded with NHLers, but he gets the most out of them.

Sandelin finally gets a decent team again and now he gets the most out of his guys. UMD was lost in the woods for years between Junior and last year, and last year's team got every bounce possible in March to get as far as they did.

Separately, I agree with AZ about Eidsness. He could be better but he's not an evil entity sent to punish UND hockey.

and then when it really counted in the frozen 4 we got worked 3 years in a row almost by BC and the goaltending wasnt anything close to brag about. jpl didnt steal many games until his senior season when he was flat out awesome. i agree eids needs to step up and win a couple games when the offense isnt clicking. goaltending isnt like recruiting a top notch forward or d man as many know. its such a different position and hope eids can turn it up a notch and get this team rolling

im calling a start from Dell this weekend! book it :ohmy: just a hunch

I agree with you on Eids. He isn't as bad as some have stated. He definitely has room to improve. But a lot of people seem to only remember the best from past goalies, and not remember the struggles. Jpar and JPL both had some struggles and both improved as they got older. They were both at their best during their last seasons. Most of the best goalies in the WCHA are upperclassmen. That is true of most players in the league at all positions. The WCHA is an upperclassmen league and UND doesn't have a lot of upperclassmen.

I also agree that Dell will probably get a start this week.

Sandelin finally gets a decent team again and now he gets the most out of his guys. UMD was lost in the woods for years between Junior and last year, and last year's team got every bounce possible in March to get as far as they did.

Separately, I agree with AZ about Eidsness. He could be better but he's not an evil entity sent to punish UND hockey.

It was just a few years ago that UMD had a senior laden team and Sandelin could get nothing out of them. He finally wound up benchming some of them late in the year. They had a lot of down years before this year.

Recruiting goalies is a crap shoot. Minnesota hasn't had a great goalie since Stauber and that was over twenty years ago. Even when we finally did supposedly recruit a great prospect(Frazee) he turns out to be a bust. With goalies you just never know how they will pan out.

I think the more interesting thing was that he became an all star in the AHL.

i dont think eids is as bad as some think. just dont. does he need to step up? yes he does as others do as well on the team. i would love to see him steal a game here and there as that can be huge for the overall team make up but i just dont think he is the main problem.

Personally, I would like to see him take some ownership for a few of these games, because he was the deciding factor. The Wisconsin series he was down right brutal. The second night I wish Hakstol would have let Dell start. I think he needs to sit and watch a few games. Nothing personal against I think his confidence is down and his focus is horrible.

It's kind of a chicken vs. egg thing with this team. Is Eidsness under the microscope here because we can't seem to get to 4 goals on any given night? There's a lot of talk about how we can't seem to recruit a goalie with all the advantages the UND program has, but what about recruiting some bona-fide scorers that can get us to 4 goals in a game more often than not?

We also have four underclass defensemen and a junior coming off a major leg injury in front of Eids. They've played fairly well, but the point about Chay eating up ice time is huge in that regard.

It's kind of a chicken vs. egg thing with this team. Is Eidsness under the microscope here because we can't seem to get to 4 goals on any given night? There's a lot of talk about how we can't seem to recruit a goalie with all the advantages the UND program has, but what about recruiting some bona-fide scorers that can get us to 4 goals in a game more often than not?

We also have four underclass defensemen and a junior coming off a major leg injury in front of Eids. They've played fairly well, but the point about Chay eating up ice time is huge in that regard.

MAYBE!

Any coach will tell you that all they ask of their goalie is that he make every save he's supposed to make, and one or two that should've gotten behind him. Eidsness isn't living up to that bargain.

He needs to focus on his job.

^

I totally get where people are coming from with Eidsness - I scratch my head often. That said, as much as he has to stop the ones he's supposed to, the forwards need to bury the ones they're supposed to as well.

I'm getting a little tired of hearing how Eids has to "steal" a game or two for us. The UND teams I'm used to watching rarely need to steal victories - they go get 'em. "Stealing" victories of for our opponents. :ohmy:

Then again, it's not so much that Eids has to "steal" a victory it's more like just don't give it away.