SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs GOPHERS - ROUND 2

AZSIOUX

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

god that was a fun game last night. wow it had a great pace. gophers came out and played hard for a full game. nice to see coming off their last 3 games in grand forks. the sioux just had some sloppy momments with the puck noted by hak as well but oh well. great goal late to get the tie and the point. great play by marto to save the game with that open net. grand forks was great once again. met some great sioux fans again. go sioux next weekend!!

How difficult was it to spot me?? :silly::angry::):lol:

Yes they did. A couple of glasses of red wine helped "season" things.

Ah, wine, God's nectar!! I happened to be walking by a store that sold glassware and saw wine glaslses with Sioux green colored bases and stems. I went in and bought one. Well worth the price! Starting this weekend, I'm drinking Shiraz from it when I watch or listen to Fighting Sioux hockey!

*no more blackened pizza for me, I'm ordering it from now on*

Someone commented on Kristo...the kid is snakebit and is trying to shoot his way through it...I'm not a big fan of that approach. In fact, I would strongly consider swapping him with Trupp right now on the top 2 scoring lines. He will be an impact player, but he needs to use his teammates. I bet he's beating himself up over that breakaway.

Gopher passing was better with guys actually leading guys into open ice with their passes. Sioux passes were off.

Malone almost got his neck broken in OT against the endboards, I know it was OT and everything, but that easily could've been 5, so surely should've deserved 2.

Shepherd's penalty call on a cross check, when he's at center ice with the other official 10 feet away was b.s.

Eidsness was not sharp on Saturday night...If I'm coach, we're getting a Dell on Friday in Alaska. Bariball's goal...all he did was wait for BE to go down, and he went upstairs...it doesn't get easier.

The team leaders need to work out how to get the boys back up for Saturday games. We come out flying on Fridays, but Saturdays are a little slower.

What can you say about Genoway...if he's not defensive player of the week, it is robbery.

Marto is a gamer. Directly responsible for a two goal swing.

I don't get it, you said this last year too, and I don't think it was to AZ directly. Why would it be easy to spot you in a crowd of 11,500? Elaborate.

This was directly to AZ

Probably because we were front row student section with a massive Gopher flag

I took the first picture posted. I don't have a great camera or anything, but I took it from the press box. Can't really complain about my view. :silly:

haha no you really can't!! I go to UND, so obviously sit in the student section, i absolutely love sitting in the lower bowl and being closer to the action, but would take upper over lower any day, it's a tad bit easier to see the plays and game develop from up there. I can't complain about sitting shoulder to shoulder with the glass and penalty box though, especially during gopher huntin season :angry:

I think Kristo has lots of talent, but he has to learn that he doesn't have to shoot the puck every time he touches it in the offensive end. His poor shot and subsequent getting caught below the puck off the glass on the PP lead directly to the shorty.

UM was much better than Fri. and we were more careless with the puck. Eids made some great saves but seemed out of position much more last night.

Vandy's line was better than some are giving them credit for this weekend...he had lots of chances. Just didn't cash in.

Zajac and Malone are so strong up the middle. Their lines will continue to get better and better. Malone was looking to dismantle 'lil tDon during the scrum. But as usually Toni didn't want any of that action!

Was disappointed with Cichy this weekend...was expecting more from him after watching him last weekend.

After watching this team over the first 4 games, I really like what we got!!!

Overall it was a fun game to be at. Atmosphere and crowd energy was great!

I agree that Kristo needs to be a little more selective, but I think the Sioux need someone who isn't afraid to take a shot from a bad angle. Ryan Duncan and Brandon Bochenski made a living off of bad angle goals. As long as the people down low are ready for it and in position to screen and/or get a rebound, I don't have a big problem with getting shots on net from the point. See two of Genoway's goals and Marto's goal for confirmation of that. Perhaps when he gets that monkey off his back, he will be a little more selective. The only problem I see is if he doesn't get the puck to our playmaker (Gregoire) and our horse (VandeVelde) enough for them to do their thing. I'm sure if Hakstol had a problem with him in that regard, it would be addressed.

Someone commented on Kristo...the kid is snakebit and is trying to shoot his way through it...I'm not a big fan of that approach. In fact, I would strongly consider swapping him with Trupp right now on the top 2 scoring lines. He will be an impact player, but he needs to use his teammates. I bet he's beating himself up over that breakaway.

Gopher passing was better with guys actually leading guys into open ice with their passes. Sioux passes were off.

Malone almost got his neck broken in OT against the endboards, I know it was OT and everything, but that easily could've been 5, so surely should've deserved 2.

Shepherd's penalty call on a cross check, when he's at center ice with the other official 10 feet away was b.s.

Eidsness was not sharp on Saturday night...If I'm coach, we're getting a Dell on Friday in Alaska. Bariball's goal...all he did was wait for BE to go down, and he went upstairs...it doesn't get easier.

The team leaders need to work out how to get the boys back up for Saturday games. We come out flying on Fridays, but Saturdays are a little slower.

What can you say about Genoway...if he's not defensive player of the week, it is robbery.

Marto is a gamer. Directly responsible for a two goal swing.

He needs to position himself better for the second save - too often he turns easy saves into adventures on the rebound.

We need to see Dell.

I'm all for treating the vistors rudely, but not getting into physical altercations. The good natured barbs are what's great about college hockey, and besides

many of us have friends and family with (unfortunately) gopher ties. Acquaintance of mine from cities, gets accosted in the concourse before game and during

intermission, that's out of line. The great thing about hockey is the post game handshake, as much as Haxtell and Lucia dislike each other, they still shake.

I agree that Kristo needs to be a little more selective, but I think the Sioux need someone who isn't afraid to take a shot from a bad angle. Ryan Duncan and Brandon Bochenski made a living off of bad angle goals. As long as the people down low are ready for it and in position to screen and/or get a rebound, I don't have a big problem with getting shots on net from the point. See two of Genoway's goals and Marto's goal for confirmation of that. Perhaps when he gets that monkey off his back, he will be a little more selective. The only problem I see is if he doesn't get the puck to our playmaker (Gregoire) and our horse (VandeVelde) enough for them to do their thing. I'm sure if Hakstol had a problem with him in that regard, it would be addressed.

I have no problem with Kristo shooting but he is driving me nuts by tapping his stick on the ice all of the time calling for the puck.

Saturday night I was disappointed when Kristo couldn't catch up to Hoeffel to stop the shorthanded goal. I realize that Hoeffel had the head start but I was hoping Kristo had the wheels to catch him.

Kristo will be fine. Heck it's only his 5th Sioux game.

Danny, please stop tapping your stick on the ice so frequently.

:D

I've read in scouting reports on him that he does that all the time.

I doubt he'll stop now. ;)

keep up with a point per game pace as a freshman and tap tap tap all you want ;)

he will have 2 or 3 goals this weekend in anchorage

I thought I was in Mariucci for about 60 seconds Saturday night. During the break between the end of the 3rd period and overtime, the little kid reciting the Herb Brooks speach was played on the video screen. Seriously?!?! Any team other than Minnesota, that would have been fine. However, a little tidbit of info for the genius (I may have been listening to Sid's show for too long) who run's the videos; Herb Brooks used to coach the goofers!!!! How could you not know that?