SiouxSports.com Forum

2009-10 Fighting Sioux Hockey

AZSIOUX

congrats kristo

per brad

Kristo named to all-CHN rookie team

UND freshman Danny Kristo has been named to College Hockey News' freshman All-American team.

The WCHA rookie of the year joins Alaska's Andy Taranto, Merrimack's Stephane Da Costa, Denver's Matt Donovan, Boston College's Brian Dumoulin and Colorado College's Joe Howe on the team.

Kristo was the WCHA's rookie of the year. He currently ranks third on the team in scoring with 15 goals and 36 points.

Most deservedly so. Congratulations Mr. Kristo!!

Go Sioux!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably been posted already, but a short ncaa tourney preview on nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=522534

i especially like the final statement in this paragraph...

"The regional final should feature BC and the Fighting Sioux meeting for the seventh time in the postseason since 2000. Look for the highest scoring of the four regionals -- and the most intense play. No team in any post-season tournament plays with more snarl than UND."

pretty good write up, especially for a non-college hockey site. but they did get one thing wrong as they have bc coming out of our region ;)

The Sioux will NOT be out-snarled!!

GO SIOUX!!!

I hope the Sioux stay out of the box in the regionals this weekend!

I'm somewhat concerned about this though. The WCHA refs, as much as we bitch about them, at least understand the concept of physical hockey. I'm wondering how our bruising style is going to be received in the East, especially if we meet BC in the final with all their pygmies. Our PK unit is pretty good but we can't expect them to get hung out 5 or 6 times a period and come out without giving up some goals.

Benny is gonna have to drop to his knees to make some hits so as to avoid the b.s. elbow calls, or now the hits to the head calls, when

all he is doing is checking a guy who is a foot shorter than he is. That's a tough skill to teach. We'll be crying about a few of those calls

I am sure. Discipline, and a PK, and scoring early and often, should take care of business hopefully.

Get yer good Frozen Four tickets and seats now. All the good ones, or those few that remain, will get snapped up in a heartbeat come

Saturday night after two of the four teams are locked in.

I'm somewhat concerned about this though. The WCHA refs, as much as we bitch about them, at least understand the concept of physical hockey. I'm wondering how our bruising style is going to be received in the East, especially if we meet BC in the final with all their pygmies. Our PK unit is pretty good but we can't expect them to get hung out 5 or 6 times a period and come out without giving up some goals.

CCHA refs (Shegos and Co.) have seen hitting before, and are more likely to call interference than cross-checking. The Eastern ref's seem to focus on holding, trips, and slashing. Harvard got into huge trouble with that against the Sioux last season out East, during the first of our two game series. Keep the hands on your stick.

That being said, the contact to the head rule will surely be in play and will be watched closely. I have to think CFB will still be watched closely as well.

More important will be our ability to make short, smart passes and not give up any breakaway chances to either of the Eastern teams. When the Sioux play smart, physical, good puck control hockey they are next to impossible to beat.

GO SIOUX!!

Really? I find myself liking Osh a lot more when he is playing hockey, and a lot less when he is talking.

Agreed. Definately needs to be the Animal/Hawk episode. I had friends that dont follow the Sioux post that on my wall, thinking it was classic.

Follow the UND men's hockey travel blog

1:09 a.m. (ET) - Jayson - Last blog entry of the night, Sioux fans. Just spent the night listening to Tim Hennessy tell stories, and it doesn't get any better than that. Having been around Sioux hockey since 1995, I always think I have a unique perspective until I sit down with Tim for an hour or two. The "Silver Fox" needs to pen a book someday. For my money, the highlight of every road trip is unwinding with Tim and hearing him talk Sioux hockey.

While we were downstairs at the hotel, ran into former Sioux standout goalie Jean-Philippe Lamoureux, who now plays for Portland of the AHL and was catching up with his brothers, UND forward Mario and student-assistant coach Pierre-Paul. Brett Hextall's dad, Ron, is also in town and was downstairs chatting with Brett.

From the UND Men's hockey Travel Blog

Chay Genoway, Brad Eidsness, Brett Hextall, Evan Trupp, Danny Kristo and Chris VandeVelde are meeting round-table style with ESPN producer Ben Cerny and announcers Dan Parkhurst and Damian DiGiulian.... The common themes during the conversation seem to be the tradition of the program, the team's "one-for-all, all-for-one" mentality and the bond between the Sioux and their fans. The best line belonged to Parkhurst: "As someone who makes a living by selling college hockey merchandise, I appreciate your fans."