SiouxSports.com Forum

2009-10 Fighting Sioux Hockey

AZSIOUX

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's solid and on the same track as Brad Eidsness.

Scorned while here and then, when he bolts for the pros, pined after, with fans abounding wishing then current Sioux played more like him (see Smaby, Matt)

not sure i get that overall feeling from the fans but i think ben blood is turning into one hell of a defensemen. it take 2 years usually to get it then the seem to blossom their junior year then ready to move on. fienhage is improving every game as well. the future d men are all considered pretty damn good and a couple are top first round nhl good. look forward to that but back to topic.....i like how the d is playing right now. especially this last weekend which was so solid!

not sure i get that overall feeling from the fans but i think ben blood is turning into one hell of a defensemen. it take 2 years usually to get it then the seem to blossom their junior year then ready to move on. fienhage is improving every game as well. the future d men are all considered pretty damn good and a couple are top first round nhl good.

I don't know about anyone else but I really like the way that Blood has played this season. Tough, good with the puck, sold defensively, if he can cut down to one less penatly a game it would the only thing I can see him needing to improve...

I agree.

I like Chay and all, but my favorite Dman is Blood.

He's INCREDIBLY similar to Matt Smaby. Unbelievable.

Actually, he's better than Smaby because, though posters have berated his PIMs, by this time, posters were calling for Smaby to be benched. That hasn't happened yet with Blood.

And I like Fienhage.

The biggest surprise, though, has been Gleason, IMO. I knew he'd be good and all, but I thought Gleason would be the one with extra ice time due to Genoway's injury.

I agree.

I like Chay and all, but my favorite Dman is Blood.

He's INCREDIBLY similar to Matt Smaby. Unbelievable.

Actually, he's better than Smaby because, though posters have berated his PIMs, by this time, posters were calling for Smaby to be benched. That hasn't happened yet with Blood.

And I like Fienhage.

The biggest surprise, though, has been Gleason, IMO. I knew he'd be good and all, but I thought Gleason would be the one with extra ice time due to Genoway's injury.

i think the d man that is going end up being a steal for where his nhl club toronto drafted him is macwilliam (7th rd, 188 overall). i think he has the making to be a nice nhl defensemen

i think the d man that is going end up being a steal for where his nhl club toronto drafted him is macwilliam (7th rd, 188 overall). i think he has the making to be a nice nhl defensemen

True, but I've maintained that there have been a surprising number of late round stars that the NHL has found.

For example, Brett Hull, Luc Robitaille, Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, that Hornqvist kid that plays for Nashville, and there are others.

True, but I've maintained that there have been a surprising number of late round stars that the NHL has found.

For example, Brett Hull, Luc Robitaille, Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, that Hornqvist kid that plays for Nashville, and there are others.

Picking the kids at 18 it's pretty hard to know exactly how they're progress. Plus there are obviously some 18 year olds that haven't developed as much as others.

Picking the kids at 18 it's pretty hard to know exactly how they're progress. Plus there are obviously some 18 year olds that haven't developed as much as others.

Exactly.

Look at how many first rounders haven't panned out.

Or some did partially and were ran through the wringer for not living up to the hype (See Daigle, Alexandre)

• 2 weeks later...

hf boards prospects - phoenix

15. (19) Brett Hextall, C, 21

Acquired 6th round, 159th overall, 2008

A small, feisty center for the University of North Dakota, Hextall has never let his size dictate the way he plays the game. Before going down with a leg injury in early January, Hextall had posted a respectable eight goals and four assists in 19 games as well as 66 penalty minutes. At just 5

hf boards prospects - phoenix

15. (19) Brett Hextall, C, 21

Acquired 6th round, 159th overall, 2008

A small, feisty center for the University of North Dakota, Hextall has never let his size dictate the way he plays the game. Before going down with a leg injury in early January, Hextall had posted a respectable eight goals and four assists in 19 games as well as 66 penalty minutes. At just 5

In other words, Hextall is the ideal 6th round draft pick. Potential pro type skill set but has one major flaw (size) to overcome.

If Hextall continues like he is, after 4 years, you can guarantee an NHL contract. I think Hextall can make the NHL.

If BGSU player Dan Sexton can make the NHL, and he's roughly the same size as Hextall, I think Hextall can make it too.

hextall macwilliam will be nhl regulars for not being top round picks. both can flat out play hockey

hextall macwilliam will be nhl regulars for not being top round picks. both can flat out play hockey

I really like the play of Mac and Blood this past weekend. They are quickly becoming the defensman that no one wants to be on the ice when they are.

I love defenseman with a mean streak.

I really like the play of Mac and Blood this past weekend. They are quickly becoming the defensman that no one wants to be on the ice when they are.

I love defenseman with a mean streak.

I still get a little nervous whenever Blood handles the puck in front of our net, though...

per brad

Vandy, Knight honored

A pair of Sioux players have been recognized by the WCHA for their big weekends.

Chris VandeVelde is the league's offensive player of the week after his six-point weekend in St. Cloud. VandeVelde had a goal and an assist on Friday and a goal and three assists Saturday. He now has eight points in the last three games.

Corban Knight is the league's rookie of the week after his four-point weekend against the Huskies. Knight had two assists Friday and a goal and an assist on Saturday. Knight now has six points in the last five games.

UND in weekly honors this season

Oct. 13 -- Mike Cichy, WCHA rookie of the week

Oct. 20 -- Chay Genoway, WCHA defensive player of the week

Nov. 10 -- Evan Trupp, WCHA offensive player of the week

Dec. 1 -- Danny Kristo, WCHA rookie of the week

Jan. 12 -- Jason Gregoire, WCHA offensive player of the week

Jan. 12 -- Corban Knight, WCHA rookie of the week

Feb. 16 -- Chris VandeVelde, WCHA offensive player of the week

Feb. 16 -- Corban Knight, WCHA rookie of the week

per brad

Vandy, Knight honored

A pair of Sioux players have been recognized by the WCHA for their big weekends.

Chris VandeVelde is the league's offensive player of the week after his six-point weekend in St. Cloud. VandeVelde had a goal and an assist on Friday and a goal and three assists Saturday. He now has eight points in the last three games.

Corban Knight is the league's rookie of the week after his four-point weekend against the Huskies. Knight had two assists Friday and a goal and an assist on Saturday. Knight now has six points in the last five games.

UND in weekly honors this season

Oct. 13 -- Mike Cichy, WCHA rookie of the week

Oct. 20 -- Chay Genoway, WCHA defensive player of the week

Nov. 10 -- Evan Trupp, WCHA offensive player of the week

Dec. 1 -- Danny Kristo, WCHA rookie of the week

Jan. 12 -- Jason Gregoire, WCHA offensive player of the week

Jan. 12 -- Corban Knight, WCHA rookie of the week

Feb. 16 -- Chris VandeVelde, WCHA offensive player of the week

Feb. 16 -- Corban Knight, WCHA rookie of the week

Corban Knight - I like what he's doing!

Corban Knight - I like what he's doing!

Knight is another of those kids who really lit the lamp in Juniors, only to come to UND and learn how much tougher the WCHA is to play in. I think he scored over a point a game as a rookie in juniors, was named rookie of the year, and was a top-10 scorer in the AJHL.

Nice to see him get some quality ice time, and to show his abilities.