SiouxSports.com Forum

2009-10 Fighting Sioux Hockey

AZSIOUX

Knight is another of those kids who really lit the lamp in Juniors, only to come to UND and learn how much tougher the WCHA is to play in. I think he scored over a point a game as a rookie in juniors, was named rookie of the year, and was a top-10 scorer in the AJHL.

Nice to see him get some quality ice time, and to show his abilities.

It looks like this kid is getting it. His goals this past weekend were the kind we need inside the dots and where he should be. He could end up being the finisher we need.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hf florida prospects - knight #20 - lapoint in other notables section

20. Corban Knight, C, 19

Acquired: 5th round, 135th overall, 2009

A late bloomer, Knight propelled himself into NHL prospect status with an explosive 2008-09 season with the AJHL's Okotoks Oilers. He was set to return and play out this season with Okotoks, though he had made a verbal commitment to the University of North Dakota for next season. The dismissal of UND forward Matt Frattin from the team opened the door for Knight to join the program a year earlier than planned. Frattin rejoined the Fighting Sioux in the second half.

Meanwhile, under the circumstances, the offense-oriented Knight hasn't seen a great deal of ice time. He snapped an 18-game goal-scoring drought with a two-goal performance on Jan. 8. Knight also injured his ankle in the game, but has since returned. In 24 games, Knight has scored four goals and three assists. Overall, he has shown his potential: good hands, particularly around the net, and an offensive flair. Knight could be a major player on next season's Fighting Sioux team.

tornonto hf boards prospects - frattin #20 - macwilliam in other notables but look for him to crack this next year

20. Matt Frattin, RW, 22

I still get a little nervous whenever Blood handles the puck in front of our net, though...

He's taken to coming out a little too close to Eidsness' left post for my liking.

I wonder if he's ever heard of Steve Smith's "issue" in that Calgary/Edmonton series a while back.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">

That Lanny McDonald, could he wear a stylin' bucket and 'stache or what. :D

The 2nd week in a row where two Sioux players have won a WCHA award!

brads blog

Hextall had three goals and one assist in a two-game sweep of Minnesota-Duluth. He's on a career-best, seven-game point streak with eight goals and three assists during that time. Hextall was plus-three in the series against the Dogs. For the season, Hextall has 12 goals, six assists and 18 points.

Eidsness stopped 53 of 56 shots (.946 save percent) in the sweep of Duluth. He has allowed just four goals in the last three games, all Sioux wins. During those games, Eidsness has a 1.51 goals-against average and a .951 save percentage. Eidsness currently sits in second place behind Marc Cheverie for the WCHA's goaltending title.

Nine different Sioux players have earned weekly WCHA honors this season. The only two-time winner so far is Corban Knight.

UND in weekly honors this season

Oct. 13 -- Mike Cichy, WCHA rookie of the week

Oct. 20 -- Chay Genoway, WCHA defensive player of the week

Nov. 10 -- Evan Trupp, WCHA offensive player of the week

Dec. 1 -- Danny Kristo, WCHA rookie of the week

Jan. 12 -- Jason Gregoire, WCHA offensive player of the week

Jan. 12 -- Corban Knight, WCHA rookie of the week

Feb. 16 -- Chris VandeVelde, WCHA offensive player of the week

Feb. 16 -- Corban Knight, WCHA rookie of the week

Feb. 23 -- Brett Hextall, WCHA offensive player of the week

Feb. 23 -- Brad Eidsness, WCHA defensive player of the week

Nine different Sioux players have earned weekly WCHA honors this season. The only two-time winner so far is Corban Knight.

Seems like so long ago. I was optimistic about him still at this point in the year. Now I think he needs some time in the weight room.

hf ottawa prospects - blood #18

18. Ben Blood, D 6.5D

Acquired: fourth round, 120th overall, 2007

Yet another NCAA defenseman in the Ottawa system, Blood is a sophomre with the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. His numbers have improved drastically this year with increased ice time, to three goals and 11 points in 34 games. Blood has also shown a willingness to mix it up, tallying 76 penalty minutes along the way. After being the team

stay hot eids! great playing all around and congrats to danny and brad!

per brad

Eidsness, Kristo are players of week

UND's winning streak continues to produce players of the week.

For the second week in a row, Brad Eidsness is the defensive player of the week. Eidsness has a .942 save percentage in the last five games and has not allowed more than two goals in that span. Eidsness currently ranks second in the WCHA in goals-against average.

For the second time this season, Danny Kristo is the WCHA's rookie of the week. Kristo scored a goal each night against Colorado College, getting the game-winner on Saturday night. Kristo ranks second in the WCHA in rookie scoring.

This is the third straight week that UND has had multiple player of the week winners.

March 3 -- Brad Eidsness, WCHA defensive player of the week

March 3 -- Danny Kristo, WCHA rookie of the week

hf top 10 college hockey free agents

Chay Genoway, D, 23

Senior, University of North Dakota

Genoway got his final year at North Dakota off to a terrific start, but it would all come to a halt on Nov. 13. when a hit by Aaron Marvin (CGY) forced Genoway out of the lineup indefinitely.

The Morden, MB native played in nine games to date and posted 10 points (four goals, six assists). All of his goals came on the power play.

Genoway is an offensive defenseman with great hands and on-ice presence. He is a fluid skater with good speed. He quarterbacks the power play with confidence and his puck skills are outstanding. What Genoway lacks in size (5

I'm going to write a mid-week article on this subject, but here are some thoughts for now....

Despite only having Chay Genoway for 9 out of the 37 games played to this point, this year's D corps have surpassed last year in a number of different areas.

For the entire 2008-2009 season (43 games), Fighting Sioux blueliners scored 13 goals and added 55 assists for 68 points.

This year, through 37 games (and with between 3 and 9 games left to play), Sioux defensemen have potted 15 goals and 55 assists for 70 points.

(Genoway's four goals and six assists are included in this season's total)

On the defensive side of the ice, this year's squad is allowing 2.08 goals per game on 23.9 shots.

Last year's team allowed 2.74 goals per game on 26.9 shots.

Certainly some of this is Eidness, whose numbers compare as follows:

Freshman year (08-09): 24-12-4, 2.56 GAA, .906 SV%, 1 SO

Sophomore year (09-10): 20-8-4, 2.10 GAA, .914 SV%, 2 SO

It will be my contention in the article that it's taken a while for the other Sioux defensemen to adjust to Genoway's absence, but that this team's recent stretch of eight consecutive victories is a testament to how well the unit has stepped up, adjusted, and filled roles and minutes that underclassmen typically don't play in the WCHA.

I'd be interested to hear your comments and questions about the progression of this year's defensemen.

Dave

Dave, To me the single biggest reason the Sioux defense has been so solid this year is Mac and Gleason being able to step in and be effective after a very short transition period. Neither are perfect, but they are far ahead of most freshmen defensemen.

I also think the composure in the defensive zone - making smart D-to-D passes rather than wildly sending it up or around the wall - has been the best I've seen in years. I think this is the best team defense I've seen out of a Sioux team since the killers went to the NCAA title game.

I also think the composure in the defensive zone - making smart D-to-D passes rather than wildly sending it up or around the wall - has been the best I've seen in years. I think this is the best team defense I've seen out of a Sioux team since the killers went to the NCAA title game.

This might've been a key to why we didn't fare well tonight.

hf ny isles prosepcts

8. Jason Gregoire, LW 7D

Acquired: 3rd round, 76th overall, 2007 NHL Draft

Gregoire is turning out to be a solid third-round pick for the Islanders. In his sophomore season at North Dakota, the left winger is leading the Fighting Sioux with 18 goals, and has 31 points through 36 games. Although he has demonstrated good hands, a knack for finding the back of the net, and a strong two-way game, he must continue to get stronger before making the jump up to the pros. At this point, there is no need for the Islanders to rush the 21-year-old, so they will likely keep him at North Dakota until he

hf ny isles prosepcts

8. Jason Gregoire, LW 7D

Acquired: 3rd round, 76th overall, 2007 NHL Draft

Gregoire is turning out to be a solid third-round pick for the Islanders. In his sophomore season at North Dakota, the left winger is leading the Fighting Sioux with 18 goals, and has 31 points through 36 games. Although he has demonstrated good hands, a knack for finding the back of the net, and a strong two-way game, he must continue to get stronger before making the jump up to the pros. At this point, there is no need for the Islanders to rush the 21-year-old, so they will likely keep him at North Dakota until he

That is very good news...Gregoire is a great college hockey player...the NHL can wait.

I hope the Islanders agree with Hockey Futures.

He has looked very, very good of late. The Sioux team has turned into something I didn't expect with the skills and determination of Gregoire, Frattin, Malone rising to the top. I expected none of these three to be superstars, but they are showing me something the last month or so that is a pleasant surprise.