SiouxSports.com Forum

Ryan Hill

ChadR

Ok, his line is that he's 6'3 197 and he's 21. So.... this sounds like a recruited walk on.

At least that's what it sounds like to me.

From the looks of it, I totally agree:

Genoway

Marto

LaPointe

Blood

Fienhage

Gleason

McWilliam

and now--Hill

He will definitely be the 8th D, so barring any injuries, I would guess we see very little of him

Interesting tidbit if one reads to the end of the article:

"A total of eight players who spent the 2008-09 season in the USHL have committed to the University of North Dakota; Brett Bruneteau (Des Moines), Mike Fink (Des Moines), Joe Gleason (Des Moines), Matt White (Des Moines), Michael Forney (Green Bay)..."

Is this the answer to the question that's been asked for months?

Interesting tidbit if one reads to the end of the article:

"A total of eight players who spent the 2008-09 season in the USHL have committed to the University of North Dakota; Brett Bruneteau (Des Moines), Mike Fink (Des Moines), Joe Gleason (Des Moines), Matt White (Des Moines), Michael Forney (Green Bay)..."

Is this the answer to the question that's been asked for months?

I don't know. Heisenberg has had Forney coming back to UND for longer than this issue has been raised and yet Brad Schlossman hasn't heard anything.

If Brad hasn't reported it, then I'm inclined to believe it is still very much in the air.

I don't know. Heisenberg has had Forney coming back to UND for longer than this issue has been raised and yet Brad Schlossman hasn't heard anything.

If Brad hasn't reported it, then I'm inclined to believe it is still very much in the air.

I actually sent him an email a while back and we were waiting to hear back from Forney.

Is this a signal that:

a) LaPoint's recovery has slowed and this is a defense corps insurance policy?

b) Forney isn't coming and Hill is filling a roster spot (to get to 25)?

c) Hakstol will be going with a 26-man roster this year?

Hak was recently heard to say "eight, maybe nine" in answer to the question of how many new faces in camp this fall. Adding nine would make a 25-man roster (like the Hak teams of the last few seasons).

Well, two goalies, MacWilliam, Gleason, Cichy, Kristo, Bruneteau, and Rowney makes eight. Hill makes nine, without Forney.

Now, re-read my questions above.

I think they want 8 defensemen in case of injuries, and this has nothing to do with Forney or LaPoint. If Forney doesn't come, I wouldn't be surprised to see another forward in next year, for the same reason.

Also if you look around the NCAA 26 isn't that big of a roster. I think DU is going with a roster of 28 and Cornell just announced theirs and it had 27 on it (Nash may still leave). I think it is common to have a roster of 26, ok maybe not common, but not unheard of. I don't see this affected the Forney situation either way, Forney wouldn't be competing with Hill for ice time, unless they move Marto and/or Genoway back up to wing.

I am surprised that he (Hill) had other offers and chose UND, this assumes that he is either a walk on or a small scholarship player. Maybe he thinks development and long term play are better at UND than jumping right into the lineup of a lesser program.

Also if you look around the NCAA 26 isn't that big of a roster. I think DU is going with a roster of 28 and Cornell just announced theirs and it had 27 on it (Nash may still leave). I think it is common to have a roster of 26, ok maybe not common, but not unheard of.

I believe UW is over 30 players on their roster. :glare:

I don't know the actual number, but it's got to be close to that...

sounds like a good team guy which is always a plus. he knows his role right now as a recruited walk on and if or when he gets his chances im sure he will give it his all like he stated. the roster sizes in college hockey vary from team to team. DU has many players on their roster. its all about the diffeent coaches and their philosophy on having more practice players and or depth players as 3-4 players on big rosters know they wont see the ice for more than a few games each season. everyone usually knows their role and hill is in that category

It wouldn't surprise me if a guy like this had a great career at UND. I mean look at the Hobey Baker winner this season, basically a walk on who turned into a great hockey player. You've got to love his size, his age, and the fact that he's labeled as a stay at home guy. Kind of makes me wonder if he has an edge over a guy like Fienhage because of the amount of games that he played the last year while all Fienhage did was practice.

I guess really the only question that still comes to mind is the third goaltender. I heard Hak say on the radio that they still hadn't made up their mind, so I'm guessing we won't here until closer to September.

It wouldn't surprise me if a guy like this had a great career at UND. I mean look at the Hobey Baker winner this season, basically a walk on who turned into a great hockey player. You've got to love his size, his age, and the fact that he's labeled as a stay at home guy. Kind of makes me wonder if he has an edge over a guy like Fienhage because of the amount of games that he played the last year while all Fienhage did was practice.

I guess really the only question that still comes to mind is the third goaltender. I heard Hak say on the radio that they still hadn't made up their mind, so I'm guessing we won't here until closer to September.

Fienhage has to play this year. Unless the coaches jest don't see it. He will be a regular. Otherwise he will be out of here and i dont blame him

its great to have guys like HILL on a team. im sure it only helps that he knows his role and a type of player that is gona bust his ass on a daily basis. not saying orhers dont but you get my point. the 6 guys we will see out there on the norm will be genoway/lapoint/marto/blood/fienhage/macwilliam. gleason as the 7th and hill as the 8th guy. i bet we may see hill as a regular a couple years down the road.

we will see genoway/blood/marto/lapoint/fienhage/macwilliam on a nightly basis i believe. gleason as 7th guy and hill knowing his role right now. i can see in a couple years maybe hill gets a serious crack as he sounds like a hell of a hard worker. all teams need a guy like this if he turns out to be what it sounds like.

we will see genoway/blood/marto/lapoint/fienhage/macwilliam on a nightly basis i believe. gleason as 7th guy and hill knowing his role right now. i can see in a couple years maybe hill gets a serious crack as he sounds like a hell of a hard worker. all teams need a guy like this if he turns out to be what it sounds like.

I agree...it is great to have a guy like that on the team. Hopefully Hill pushes all the other d men to get better. Pointer and Marto were a great pairing last year. Blood and Genoway will be a pairing....so that leaves Fienaghe and McWilliam et all vying for that 6ht/7th spot

I agree...it is great to have a guy like that on the team. Hopefully Hill pushes all the other d men to get better. Pointer and Marto were a great pairing last year. Blood and Genoway will be a pairing....so that leaves Fienaghe and McWilliam et all vying for that 6ht/7th spot

fiehnage will show everyone this year what type of a player he is. simply put things didnt break for him last year starting with finley out then moving miller which just moved another d man back in the pecking order but the guy has skills and will show them this season. cant wait

fiehnage will show everyone this year what type of a player he is. simply put things didnt break for him last year starting with finley out then moving miller which just moved another d man back in the pecking order but the guy has skills and will show them this season. cant wait

sounds like Fienhage did pretty good at the Sabres camp this summer. I think he can be a monster.