SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs UNH WILDCATS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm totally bummed!! I'm going to be on a ferry moving at turtle speed from Juneau to Admiralty Island while the game is being played. AND, I won't have cell service either!! Arrrrrrgh!! I think my next 'exotic' assignment during hockey season is going to be in Southern Minnesota.

Agree passing was just off. At least that's how it looked from our row! Didn't get to say goodbye on my way out Saturday. Great seeing you again and meeting your family! Go SIoux!

Good seeing you and meeting the future Mrs. yzerman. And, you found a long lost relative in my group!! Small, small world!!

Not necessarily; when he turns his back to the play to stop the puck behind the net, it's up to the dman to let him know what to do withthe puck, if leaving it there is the wrong thing to do (as it was once in each game). A communication failure; something you seldom see that results in two goals.

I am guessing the Duluth forward coming in pretended he was the dman coming back and Eidsness was fooled.

Doubt they'll bring the HD cameras, but one can hope!

Even better is that we get some actual hockey knowledge in Buccigras and Melrose as announcers.

Buccigras yes, Melrose...absolutely not. He is the definition of east coast bias. His knowledge of college hockey is weak and he never gives anyone outside of HE any credit for their programs. Trust me, listen to him this weekend. He'll be kiss some major behind of the Wildcats and Terriers and giving very little respect to our Sioux and the Buckeyes

Buccigras yes, Melrose...absolutely not. He is the definition of east coast bias. His knowledge of college hockey is weak and he never gives anyone outside of HE any credit for their programs. Trust me, listen to him this weekend. He'll be kiss some major behind of the Wildcats and Terriers and giving very little respect to our Sioux and the Buckeyes

bob norton is the definition of east coast bias

bob norton is the definition of east coast bias

He's so far east coast bias he's somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean right now. It's fun to listen to him just to hear the mentally challenged things he says. Last year or the year before he even admitted to not watching much hockey outside of HEA.

Melrose will be fine...what other announcer (color commentator) would you rather have??

My keys to winning the regional:

1. Powerplay - special teams

The PP has to be much better than it has been the past few weeks. I would like to see an occasional variation on the PP, something that is not on tape...maybe putting Finley in front of the net, no way anyone will move him out and it would be difficult for the goalie to see with himthere. I would also like to see Kozek on one of the wings once in a while. The few times he is used on the PP they put hime in front of the net which doesn't give him the chance to use his best asset which is his laser wrist shot. Whatever we do I don't believe we can just stand pat and continue what we are doing. It is not working and right now looks like it is easy to defend.

If we win the special teams battle we greatly increase our chance of winning the game.

2. Aggressive play

IMO, we seem to play our best when we are aggressive and hitting everything in sight. I don't feel like we are hitting as much lately, maybe it is due to injuries but if we don't hit we won't win.

3. Adapt to the game

If a few players are below par don't hesitate to change things up. With all the tv timeouts there is no need to roll four lines all game. If some players aren't getting it done then let them sit. Can't be quite so patient now that it is one-and-done. Play and coach the entire game with a sense of urgency. This team can win the regional but to do so we need to play our best two games of the season.

4. No more brain farts

Cannot see anything that comes close to the screwup that cost us the first goal against UMD. Can't happen or we lose.

No defensive breakdowns or turnovers, no cheating on the offensive end that leads to odd-man rushes. We need Finley and Genoway to play at the top of their games.

5. Passing

Quick tape-to-tape passing with speed. Helps in all facets of the game. Seems like too many passes are just off or bouncing which destroys any flow to the game. It is really noticeable on the powerplay.

6. Goaltending

Obviously we need Eids to be on top of his game. He is no longer a freshman. I am guessing he has played in as many or more games as a freshman than Lammy did in his first two seasons combined so he has had considerable experience.

7. No excuses

After the games, win or lose, we need to be able to say we played and competed to the best of our ability at this time. I don't want to hear about heavy legs, etc. At this time of the year there can be no excuses. If someone is battling an injury and that limits what they can do then maybe they should be sitting. Play Toews or Davidson, shorten the bench, whatever it takes.

This senior class is special to me. It may be a long, long time till we get another freshman class with as much talent as that group of 13. They have gone to three frozen fours and a fourth is not out of the question. I have had the pleasure of meeting most of them and getting to know many of the parents. Without exception they are some of the nicest people I have ever met in my 40 years of following Sioux hockey. It doesn't seem possible that these four years are coming to an end. The only proper ending for their college careers is to win their final game of the season.

Finally, if I could say one thing to the team it would be this: "Play smart, play aggressive, and leave it all on the ice".

I am heading out to Manchester on friday and I am not ready for the season to end. Go Sioux !!

I think he knows more than you think. He did pick Duluth in his championship.

Does anyone know if Watkins is a go for the weekend??? Haven't seen anything on here about him

Today is Media Day so perhaps we will know something by this afternoon/evening. Brad is really good about updating his blog.

The Grand Forks Airport is closed today. If it doesn't re-open tomorrow I wonder what the NCAA will do if the hockey team can't get to New Hampshire this weekend. Brad posted earlier this week that the team is scheduled to fly out tomorrow morning.

Today is Media Day so perhaps we will know something by this afternoon/evening. Brad is really good about updating his blog.

The Grand Forks Airport is closed today. If it doesn't re-open tomorrow I wonder what the NCAA will do if the hockey team can't get to New Hampshire this weekend. Brad posted earlier this week that the team is scheduled to fly out tomorrow morning.

They will get out by bus if they have to. I'm sure your boys will get to Manchester by puck drop.

The Grand Forks Air Port doesn't close that often that takes a big event, now I have to go snow blow.

My keys to winning the regional:

1. Powerplay - special teams

The PP has to be much better than it has been the past few weeks. I would like to see an occasional variation on the PP, something that is not on tape...maybe putting Finley in front of the net, no way anyone will move him out and it would be difficult for the goalie to see with himthere. I would also like to see Kozek on one of the wings once in a while. The few times he is used on the PP they put hime in front of the net which doesn't give him the chance to use his best asset which is his laser wrist shot. Whatever we do I don't believe we can just stand pat and continue what we are doing. It is not working and right now looks like it is easy to defend.

If we win the special teams battle we greatly increase our chance of winning the game.

2. Aggressive play

IMO, we seem to play our best when we are aggressive and hitting everything in sight. I don't feel like we are hitting as much lately, maybe it is due to injuries but if we don't hit we won't win.

3. Adapt to the game

If a few players are below par don't hesitate to change things up. With all the tv timeouts there is no need to roll four lines all game. If some players aren't getting it done then let them sit. Can't be quite so patient now that it is one-and-done. Play and coach the entire game with a sense of urgency. This team can win the regional but to do so we need to play our best two games of the season.

4. No more brain farts

Cannot see anything that comes close to the screwup that cost us the first goal against UMD. Can't happen or we lose.

No defensive breakdowns or turnovers, no cheating on the offensive end that leads to odd-man rushes. We need Finley and Genoway to play at the top of their games.

5. Passing

Quick tape-to-tape passing with speed. Helps in all facets of the game. Seems like too many passes are just off or bouncing which destroys any flow to the game. It is really noticeable on the powerplay.

6. Goaltending

Obviously we need Eids to be on top of his game. He is no longer a freshman. I am guessing he has played in as many or more games as a freshman than Lammy did in his first two seasons combined so he has had considerable experience.

7. No excuses

After the games, win or lose, we need to be able to say we played and competed to the best of our ability at this time. I don't want to hear about heavy legs, etc. At this time of the year there can be no excuses. If someone is battling an injury and that limits what they can do then maybe they should be sitting. Play Toews or Davidson, shorten the bench, whatever it takes.

This senior class is special to me. It may be a long, long time till we get another freshman class with as much talent as that group of 13. They have gone to three frozen fours and a fourth is not out of the question. I have had the pleasure of meeting most of them and getting to know many of the parents. Without exception they are some of the nicest people I have ever met in my 40 years of following Sioux hockey. It doesn't seem possible that these four years are coming to an end. The only proper ending for their college careers is to win their final game of the season.

Finally, if I could say one thing to the team it would be this: "Play smart, play aggressive, and leave it all on the ice".

I am heading out to Manchester on friday and I am not ready for the season to end. Go Sioux !!

Wow, we are on the same wave length! Check out my post on the powerplay thread from a couple days ago.

Passing is the most important aspect of hockey. If you ask anyone who played pro, the passing is the key difference at that level. Hard, Fast and On The Tape!