SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs BADGERS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of comments.

One thing that has plagued them all year, especially before Finley returned, was their inability to own the boards in their own end. A couple of things contribute to that. First of all, guys like Genoway and Miller are just ill fitted to win the board scums. I love what Miller has done for this team, and he tries his best, but when it comes to controlling possession of the puck along the defensive boards, he is being asked to do something he just is not very equipped to do. He doesn't have Bina's bull strength or Chorney's skill level. Not a knock on Miller--that's just who he is.

What bothers me more in some games, including the second two periods today (and a lot of the first, actually) is their tendency to STROLL to the puck in the defensive zone and then make the outlet pass (if they got possession) only after the passing lane has closed. Their only choice then is to either chip it up high on the glass or to have a Dman rush it up ice.

I like this team a lot. Frankly, I'd rather have them lose two like this than win and think they can get by not skating hard to every puck.

Still fired up for first round of the main event. Maybe Hak needs to pull a Bo Ryan and tell his guys to hustly their arses off but to put a smile on their facesand have some fun out there. They were a little tight this weekend.

Another reason that they cannot rule their own boards is that the refs will (and do) call it every time one of our big defenders make a hit (even a legal one) against one of the oppositions smaller (as they tend to be) forwards. So Big Joe and Blood get penalized for DOING THEIR JOBS. This will only get worse with eastern ref crews.

Couple of comments.

One thing that has plagued them all year, especially before Finley returned, was their inability to own the boards in their own end. A couple of things contribute to that. First of all, guys like Genoway and Miller are just ill fitted to win the board scums. I love what Miller has done for this team, and he tries his best, but when it comes to controlling possession of the puck along the defensive boards, he is being asked to do something he just is not very equipped to do. He doesn't have Bina's bull strength or Chorney's skill level. Not a knock on Miller--that's just who he is.

What bothers me more in some games, including the second two periods today (and a lot of the first, actually) is their tendency to STROLL to the puck in the defensive zone and then make the outlet pass (if they got possession) only after the passing lane has closed. Their only choice then is to either chip it up high on the glass or to have a Dman rush it up ice.

I like this team a lot. Frankly, I'd rather have them lose two like this than win and think they can get by not skating hard to every puck.

Still fired up for first round of the main event. Maybe Hak needs to pull a Bo Ryan and tell his guys to hustly their arses off but to put a smile on their facesand have some fun out there. They were a little tight this weekend.

The bad omen; the last three 3rd place game losers have lost in the first game of the regionals; MN, SCSU, CC. Long stretches of poor intensity, with quite a few Sioux just along as baggage this weekend led to what looked like a lack in depth.

They had a lot of intensity against MD, just couldn't get the puck on stick when looking at a gaping net. Bounces have been going the Sioux way since Christmas, but not this weekend. Not so good in intensity for portions of the game against Wisco.

It's been needing work for the past month or so. It's embarrassing. :lol:

Have we reverted back to not being able to score goals? Our showing this weekend reminds me of the GLI.... ???

It's essentially been the same PP for the past 3 years, just with different guys on the PP unit. I seem to recall saying 3 years ago against BC, "Shoot the puck!!!" Lee finally shot it and they scored. Only problem was that there was 12 seconds left in the game. This crossing of point men does what? I've wondered that for the past 3 years as well. Perhaps there's a purpose but I have failed to see the purpose of it in the past 3 years. I also seem to notice it more come playoff time.

This is the playoffs. I don't care if it's not the nationals yet. You come to the F5 ready to play. If you lose a heartbreaker, at least you exhibited heart! These guys did not do that this weekend. I won't be surprised one bit if our season is done next weekend.

I think it's a bad omen to go into the NCAA tournament riding a two game losing streak and having only scored one goal in the last six periods. It'll take a great week of practice to right this ship IMHO. Not looking like a good year for the WCHA as a conference. It looks like we'll only get three teams in the tournament and I'm not so sure that I have faith in any of them advancing beyond next weekend. With that said, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Perhaps the boyz need to shave their beards and instead get Mohawk hair cuts! Beards not working - Mohawks working; simple!

I think it's a bad omen to go into the NCAA tournament riding a two game losing streak and having only scored one goal in the last six periods. It'll take a great week of practice to right this ship IMHO. Not looking like a good year for the WCHA as a conference. It looks like we'll only get three teams in the tournament and I'm not so sure that I have faith in any of them advancing beyond next weekend. With that said, I'd love to be proven wrong.

all depends on match ups in the ncaa tourney. ill call a sioux vs du blood bath national title game :lol:

I'll admit, I am worried about the NCAAs now. We know this team can play, and we know that it has been through the leadership of the upperclassmen. Right now, other than Ryan Duncan, who seems to find ways to score, the others just aren't producing. The powerplay is absolutely HORRIBLE right now, and if I were Hak, I'd probably decline every minor penalty the other team takes. :lol: I want to see these guys make it to Frozen Four again, and win it this time. But they have to come out and play like we have seen them do previous to this weekend.

It's certainly not a heart or effort issue. The guys are going very hard.

It's more execution; just not hitting the crisp passes in stride at high speed. Also this weekend at times (especially against UMD) they never got the bounce they needed to get going. It's also health. All teams are banged up now, and the Sioux are too. I'd work on special teams this week and try to get healthy.

I thought the Sioux worked very hard this weekend but some things just didn't click and other things just didn't bounce their way. Effort, desire and heart are not things I think are lacking in this team.

I do think it's a failing to have SO many PP opportunities and not score, so hopefully they can figure that out this week.

Brilliant plan by the Sioux to lose 2 games to inferior opponents just to keep the Gophers out of the NCAA tourney! It took 30 years, but this is payback for the 1979 title game loss. Take that Neil Broten! :lol:

Hell YEAH!! IF only the gophers hadn't pretended to LAND ON THE MOON in 1969 we might have cut them some slack but I say NO!

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Lineup notes: Matt Watkins is out with a knee injury suffered on the knee-to-knee hit last night. Every line has been juggled, except Duncan's. Wisconsin is going with seven defensemen like it did two weeks ago in Madison.

UND's lines

17 Jason Gregoire--16 Ryan Duncan--26 Brett Hextall

22 Brad Malone--29 Chris VandeVelde--21 Matt Frattin

10 Andrew Kozek--11 Darcy Zajac--8 Ryan Martens

19 Evan Trupp--9 Mario Lamoureux--15 Brent Davidson

2 Joe Finley--5 Chay Genoway

6 Zach Jones--25 Jake Marto

24 Ben Blood--14 Brad Miller

31 Brad Eidsness

30 Aaron Walski

I don't understand the complete juggle of the lines. I would have just moved Kozek up into Watkins spot and plugged Davidson in on the 4th line.

I'm sure there is more to it than that as far as certain players being able to play certain wings and etc. but I think it messes with the chemestry and character of the team. Look, the only line to score was the line that wasn't changed.

I'll admit, I am worried about the NCAAs now. We know this team can play, and we know that it has been through the leadership of the upperclassmen. Right now, other than Ryan Duncan, who seems to find ways to score, the others just aren't producing. The powerplay is absolutely HORRIBLE right now, and if I were Hak, I'd probably decline every minor penalty the other team takes. :lol: I want to see these guys make it to Frozen Four again, and win it this time. But they have to come out and play like we have seen them do previous to this weekend.

Anyone know if Toews is still injured or just a continual scratch?? I would have thought after the Dogz game he would have been in there instead of Davidson. At least he has a chance to put the puck in the net. Anyone??

The ONLY silver lining on the weekend was aiding in keeping the Goofs out of the tourney. Man our power play looked terrible, and PK was not much better. I am hoping for a flip of the switch next weekend but if we get sent to that bracket in Manchest playing UNH on their home ice is going to be a damn tough draw.

The ONLY silver lining on the weekend was aiding in keeping the Goofs out of the tourney. Man our power play looked terrible, and PK was not much better. I am hoping for a flip of the switch next weekend but if we get sent to that bracket in Manchest playing UNH on their home ice is going to be a damn tough draw.

If Watty is out, which is what i'm guessing, and still can't play in regionals.... I don't see the PK getting much better. If we win one game next weekend, that may be enough for me considering how bad the special teams are... I'm frustrated, so I can't imagine how the boys must be feeling about that. :lol:

If Watty is out, which is what i'm guessing, and still can't play in regionals.... I don't see the PK getting much better. If we win one game next weekend, that may be enough for me considering how bad the special teams are... I'm frustrated, so I can't imagine how the boys must be feeling about that. :lol:

It is a new season....time to forget about St Paul. Time to play Fighting Sioux hockey regardless of where we play. I say Watkins plays next weekend...just a hunch

Just a few notes from St. Paul on the Sioux:

1) Want some of my money back. I worked harder on the x-training machine at the Crowne Plaza then UND did on the ice. :lol:

2) Special teams: 1 and done in the NCAA if things don't change. Gave up a SHG and 2 PPGs. And were OH-fer on the PP! ???

3) BE has to play better. He wasn't awful, but 2 of the 3 goals in the 2nd yesterday we right in front of us and could've been handled. And this misplayed puck vs. UMD... ???

4) Score! 1 goal in 2 games?? You all know the stats, we don't win unless we get at least 3!

5) Get back to playing UND hockey...skating, hitting, and hitting some more for 60 minutes. We gave up 25 shots in the second period yesterday because we stopped skating and hitting like the first period.

6) Great Sioux crowd and fans.

7) Skywalk from Crowne was great on Friday with rain.

8) Ray, our Subway sandwich guy, on Friday said he was a big Sioux fan...he is also NA! Said the nickname issues is "BS"! Go Ray Ray!!

9) One of the guys sitting behind us was Lee Davidson, former UND player in late 80s-early 90s. Good guy!

Overall, minus the awful hockey played by UND, we had a blast. On to the NCAAs. GO SIOUX!

Walked over with the UND reserves Friday pm. Toews looked and walked ok? He was chatting and laughing. Don't know why he did play yesterday? Watkins came back in and played after his hit on Friday. My guess he was held out yesterday as a precaution and will go next week.