SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures

AZSIOUX

Exactly! Where did the love come from? I seem to recall he was the heir apparent to Finley for the D whipping boy until he broke the leg. I hope VV come back and I think we'll be great next year with some solid recruits coming in. Hopefully they adjust to college as good as Gregoire!

I remember someone (perhaps Chuck Schwartz) likening LaPoint to Brian Lee at one point (I think that was right after or just before LaPoint committed to UND). I think from there, the seed was sewn.

Big A Hg is exaggerating a bit. LaPoint had nowhere near the "hater" contingent Finley had (and even Fins had it better at UND than Lee in that department).

However, where Big A is wrong is that the first "hate" i noticed about LaPoint seemed to happen after a few games in the bag...maybe even a few series.

Finley haters began just about after the first series.

Lee Haters began maybe halfway through his first game.

But yeah.... Finley progressed every year he played with UND and there were some respect, especially this season. Lee never had any respect, but that's old news.

LaPoint haters haven't gone away, but I also don't believe that they have the cahones to speak ill of someone who took the kind of blow LaPoint took (provided LaPoint isn't a Gopher).

But let me just wrap this up by saying this: Be it Lee, Finley, LaPoint, or whatever future whipping boys wear the Sioux jersey (MacWilliam seems like the likely next one...or maybe Gleason if he is too aggressive offensively), we're talking about a group of "sioux fans" that constitute maybe 1% of the posters on this message board and maybe .5% of all who read the board.

It sucks to have such a vocal (at times) minority though.... heh... sounds like a different debate in another part of the message board.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really early departures...but it could certainly lead to some...

A UW poster on USCHO posted their returning lineup plus their recruits that they have coming in for next year.

Their roster next season will have 19 forwards, 9 defense, and 2 goalies.

A 30 player roster with 7 forwards and 3 dmen sitting EVERY NIGHT. Wow!

Eaves has been burned with the over-recruiting before, but that's just crazy.

And it has begun...Chuck is reporting that Tom Bardis, a junior forward that only played in three games last season, has been released from the UW team.

Now we just have to wonder who the next player is... :)

I remember someone (perhaps Chuck Schwartz) likening LaPoint to Brian Lee at one point (I think that was right after or just before LaPoint committed to UND). I think from there, the seed was sewn.

Big A Hg is exaggerating a bit. LaPoint had nowhere near the "hater" contingent Finley had (and even Fins had it better at UND than Lee in that department).

However, where Big A is wrong is that the first "hate" i noticed about LaPoint seemed to happen after a few games in the bag...maybe even a few series.

Finley haters began just about after the first series.

Lee Haters began maybe halfway through his first game.

But yeah.... Finley progressed every year he played with UND and there were some respect, especially this season. Lee never had any respect, but that's old news.

LaPoint haters haven't gone away, but I also don't believe that they have the cahones to speak ill of someone who took the kind of blow LaPoint took (provided LaPoint isn't a Gopher).

But let me just wrap this up by saying this: Be it Lee, Finley, LaPoint, or whatever future whipping boys wear the Sioux jersey (MacWilliam seems like the likely next one...or maybe Gleason if he is too aggressive offensively), we're talking about a group of "sioux fans" that constitute maybe 1% of the posters on this message board and maybe .5% of all who read the board.

It sucks to have such a vocal (at times) minority though.... heh... sounds like a different debate in another part of the message board.

For a game this year, I went and sat with my boss. I heard comments the whole game from people in all directions about LaPoint. One really sticks out where this woman said she skates like a monkey. Where I work we talk hockey quite a bit when we're not busy and everyone rips on him in those discussions as well. Then, add in SS.com comments and it adds up.

Nick Mattson will be the next on the list, IMO.

For a game this year, I went and sat with my boss. I heard comments the whole game from people in all directions about LaPoint. One really sticks out where this woman said she skates like a monkey. Where I work we talk hockey quite a bit when we're not busy and everyone rips on him in those discussions as well. Then, add in SS.com comments and it adds up.

Nick Mattson will be the next on the list, IMO.

I haven't heard a lot of complaints about Pointer, Finley seemed to have the ire of a lot of Sioux fans around us at the

REA. I think we have become spoiled up here, I look around at other teams in hockey and I think we are lucky that our

team isn't yearly door mat.

One really sticks out where this woman said she skates like a monkey.

What does a woman skating like a monkey have to do with LaPoint? :)

I think a lot of the complaints about LaPoint's play was early on in the season. I think that by the time Xmas rolled around, he had really started to play better, and Hakstol mentioned that quite a bit about his improved play as the season progressed.

By the time his injury occurred, he was one of our better defensive dmen and better PK'ers, which definitely hurt us after the Mankato series IMO.

Any UND defenseman NOT from the Matt Greene, Mike Commodore smash-mouth mold is a prime candidate for a position under the bus. :)

And some Sioux fans still haven't figured out that the days of that style of play are gone. Yes, big physical defensemen can be a plus, but in a manner of simply moving people. Laying the physical beating on BU and BC like the Sioux did out east in the regional a few years ago will result in a permanent power play. The times have changed, no matter what we think about WCHA refs. The inconsistency remains, just on a different level.

the reason the lapoint stuff settled down a bit is hak let everyone know that they had him change his game for the teams sake. changed from a pure offensive minded d-man like he was in highschool and juniors to a more defensive minded d-man. he and marto were very very quiet in the first couple months and deserved the critisism they took and then they really both turned their play up a couple notches along with others. hell the whole team stunk for first 2 months and they deserved what they took. i have no problem with any of that as long as it doesnt get personal towards any players as that has nothing to do with the game

squirtcoach-

Like I said, this is a minority of a minority that enjoy slowing the bus down by throwing down impromptu speed bumps, if you will (GBPakrzz would be proud that I didn't use the phrase...).

Mattson doesn't come in next year, so I think he is a long shot.

And Siouxman is right on.

I might be the only one who noticed this, but most of the time Finley went and tried to get as physical as the Smaby/Commodore/Greene type one of two things typically happened: 1. he got called for a penalty (most common) 2. He got either out of position or burned. When he simply played positional hockey, his game was very effective.

Sure, the small forwards could burn him, but they did the same this year to many of our D... even everyone's favorite: Genoway.

I'm with squirtcoach. I don't overly criticize players. I can't say that I never have...shamefully, I need only remind myself of Siembida for that claim to get burned.

I am as big a fan of the great teammate/rare playing time type player (ala Scott Foyt, Lee Marvin, Aaron Walski, etc.) as the top tier player and everyone in between.

the reason the lapoint stuff settled down a bit is hak let everyone know that they had him change his game for the teams sake. changed from a pure offensive minded d-man like he was in highschool and juniors to a more defensive minded d-man. he and marto were very very quiet in the first couple months and deserved the critisism they took and then they really both turned their play up a couple notches along with others. hell the whole team stunk for first 2 months and they deserved what they took. i have no problem with any of that as long as it doesnt get personal towards any players as that has nothing to do with the game

I agree with AZ. Lapoint totally changed his game through the year. Last year (07-08) he looked down right feable at times. His skating was odd and suspect. He wasnt using his body well.

Later in this season he started to catch my eye with his good play much much more. I think he just needed to grow into his frame. Now that he has his 'red badge of courage' he will come back next year a man I recon :)

btw he came streight from HS.

I agree with you here that lapoint and marto's freshman woes carried over somewhat to the beginning of this year but by the time that the team started to get hot both these players were key to that. They should both some in and be able to be very good players next year.

Nick Mattson will not be a whipping boy, from what I've seen watching them play him and Forbort are two VERY good hockey players and are big but do have offensive talent, they'll be a nice duo coming in together.

I agree with AZ. Lapoint totally changed his game through the year. Last year (07-08) he looked down right feable at times. His skating was odd and suspect. He wasnt using his body well.

Later in this season he started to catch my eye with his good play much much more. I think he just needed to grow into his frame. Now that he has his 'red badge of courage' he will come back next year a man I recon :)

btw he came streight from HS.

he did play a year in USHL and tore it up numbers wise for green bay,

Named first team All-USHL and to the USHL All-Rookie Team ... 2006 Wisconsin high school player of the year ...

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=95356

he did play a year in USHL and tore it up numbers wise for green bay,

Named first team All-USHL and to the USHL All-Rookie Team ... 2006 Wisconsin high school player of the year ...

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=95356

I sit corrected :)

I confused his past with the other State Mr. Hockey big lankey defensemen for the Sioux, who did come from HS, just in another State a couple years earlier. :lol:

Per Brian Schultz/Beaver Pond, BSU So. Goalie Matt Dalton signed with Boston yesterday. BSU now has one goalie on the roster, Fr. Bakala, who played one game this year. They have Mattieu Dugas from the NAHL coming in.

Congrats to Dalton, I hope he got a nice bonus and he had a great year for BSU.

I agree with you here that lapoint and marto's freshman woes carried over somewhat to the beginning of this year but by the time that the team started to get hot both these players were key to that. They should both some in and be able to be very good players next year.

Nick Mattson will not be a whipping boy, from what I've seen watching them play him and Forbort are two VERY good hockey players and are big but do have offensive talent, they'll be a nice duo coming in together.

To be a defenseman in the WCHA it takes a lot to used to the league, I can't imagine the jump. I have been impressed with both players this season after they got past their rough patch. I would imagine if Pointer can recover quickly to get ready for the season he and Marto could be all conference type players.

As far as development goes Look as some of our killer defenseman we have had. I remember Commi's first year here and UND and I would have never guessed he would go on to make 4+ million a years in the NHL. Development takes time, look at Smaby with TB.

Per Brian Schultz/Beaver Pond, BSU So. Goalie Matt Dalton signed with Boston yesterday. BSU now has one goalie on the roster, Fr. Bakala, who played one game this year. They have Mattieu Dugas from the NAHL coming in.

Congrats to Dalton, I hope he got a nice bonus and he had a great year for BSU.

Wow, what is in the goaltender's water in Bemidji? I saw Matt Climie played a few games for Dallas a week or so back, and now another goalie signs. Good for them.

To be a defenseman in the WCHA it takes a lot to used to the league, I can't imagine the jump. I have been impressed with both players this season after they got past their rough patch. I would imagine if Pointer can recover quickly to get ready for the season he and Marto could be all conference type players.

As far as development goes Look as some of our killer defenseman we have had. I remember Commi's first year here and UND and I would have never guessed he would go on to make 4+ million a years in the NHL. Development takes time, look at Smaby with TB.

yeah but when it comes to young sioux dmen some posters on this board have absolutely zero patience.

Pointer deserved criticism. He was definitely not one of the best players on the ice for us. Is he developing? Yeah, maybe I'll give him some credit for that. Did he put up big numbers in the USHL? sure. Do I dislike the kid? no. Do I wish him a 100% recovery? yes.

This isn't some recreational hockey league, church league, beer league, bar league, federal league, this is Fighting Sioux hockey.

It is not his style or his stats that I question. I question his positioning, physical strength and skating ability. Sorry. Marto and Genoway can flat out skate, Pointer is sub par on his skates, Blood skates very poorly by WCHA standards.

It is not about throwing players under the bus or not being a fan, it is about honest assessments of ability. Do I get excited when Pointer is out on the ice? Short answer is no. Am I concerned when Pointer is out there? Short answer is yes.

I do not hate on the kid, I want him to succeed in hockey, life, whatever, but he is not in the upper half of WCHA defensemen.

It is not about throwing players under the bus or not being a fan, it is about honest assessments of ability. Do I get excited when Pointer is out on the ice? Short answer is no. Am I concerned when Pointer is out there? Short answer is yes.

Did you stop watching him after around Xmas time? ;)

I thought he progressed very well (along with Marto) right around the same time that the Sioux picked up their play as a team.

Coincidence? :D

Did you stop watching him after around Xmas time? ;)

I thought he progressed very well (along with Marto) right around the same time that the Sioux picked up their play as a team.

Coincidence? :D

and that our pk went down hill and our goals against went up after he got hurt.