SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs MSU MAVERICKS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever that is a dumb comment. Based on what do you base your opinion??

Yeah I don't get what Bring Back Dean was trying to say either, I really like big joe I think he has developed into a pretty good hockey player.

Joe doesn't have to check people through the boards to be effective.

Yeah I don't get what Bring Back Dean was trying to say either, I really like big joe I think he has developed into a pretty good hockey player.

exactly...he was a 1st round pick that chose to play his senior year. I was a fan of Kaip as well but Joe has given a lot to Sioux hockey. BTW if you want to bring Dean back drive 65 miles south and go to a Force game.

I think it is funny, personally.

Ok, let's say BDB, that Finley grows a sack as you say. He throws down with Bruess. As you are well aware, Finley stands 6'7" and is somewhere around 250. Bruess, is 6' even and about 200 according to USCHO.

Now... what do you suppose would happen?

Forget the results of the fight itself. What do you think would happen with Finley and the fans?

Applaud him?

Slap him on the back?

WRONG!

They'll berate him because he had the audacity, like he usually does, to pick on players smaller than he is. He's got 7" and around 50 pounds on Bruess.

Kaip was right around Bruess' size.

Finley can't be a tough guy unless the guy he's to be tough against is 6'5" or taller. So, you tell me... how is Finley going to "grow a sack?"

I think that's what he means.

One other thing that has been overlooked on the Bruess hit is that everyone on the ice knew their was a delayed penalty call on the Sioux and as soon as the Sioux gained control of the puck which they did right before the hit(not as late and blatently cheap as the Paukovich hit on Bina, but the same scenario) so at best his actions were late and unnecessary.

Irwin better be suspended for that malicious slash on Zajac. He broke his own stick in the process!

Hell, on Brad Schlossman's blog he posted on Friday that Greg Shepherd was going out of the norm and would be attending both of the UND vs. MSU-M games. If that held true he definitely had to have seen the slash with his own eyes. If Irwin doesn't face any sort of punishment then the league is literally taking a blind eye. ;)

Whatever that is a dumb comment. Based on what do you base your opinion??

Based on that he has been here 4 years and never dropped the gloves. Kaip wasn't the biggest guy, but did so when the situation called for it. I will say that not every hockey player should be expected to fight. However, the ones that are constantly playing up an "enforcer" or "tough guy" role, should be willing to do so when the situation calls for it.

Irwin better be suspended for that malicious slash on Zajac. He broke his own stick in the process!

Hell, on Brad Schlossman's blog he posted on Friday that Greg Shepherd was going out of the norm and would be attending both of the UND vs. MSU-M games. If that held true he definitely had to have seen the slash with his own eyes. If Irwin doesn't face any sort of punishment then the league is literally taking a blind eye. ;)

Yeah but the leagues let the schools pick the punishment will leave us with the same thing that happened with

Schack. Lucia's classic we are going to sit down the Brian and show him what he did wrong.

Based on that he has been here 4 years and never dropped the gloves. Kaip wasn't the biggest guy, but did so when the situation called for it. I will say that not every hockey player should be expected to fight. However, the ones that are constantly playing up an "enforcer" or "tough guy" role, should be willing to do so when the situation calls for it.

Just for the record Finley had 11 fights in the 2004-2005 season in the USHL. I don't think I would say that Big Joe is a turtle or that he would duck a fight. If the guy won't fight he can't pull a Todd Bertuzzi on Buress.

How has the team performed with him and without him this year?

How has the team performed with him and without him this year?

Not to inflat Finley tires too much but since UND has him back they are tied with Wisconsin for least goals against in league play. I remember some being concerned about UND defense and goaltending at the beginning of the season. Doesn't look like an issue now and I think Finley return settled every thing down.

I don't know about anyone else on here, but I'd rather have Joe out there playing. Fighting, or not. So far, I'd say he has been quite effective without any fights.

And, if there is a fight, I wouldn't want to be the one on the other side.

I agree with you. Since Finley has been at UND there is a small group of people that what ever this kid does it isn't good enough for them. I mean honestly you would think big Joe was a horrible hockey player, a rotten person and complete utter hack. There just seems to be a lot of haters out there. I would love to arrange a meeting where big Joe can meet up with all these brave anonymous people that have taken issue with Joe in the past and see if we can't we can

If the coaching staff wanted Breuss' skull pounded in, rest assured, it would have been - last night just wasn't the time or place.

If the coaching staff wanted Breuss' skull pounded in, rest assured, it would have been - last night just wasn't the time or place.

I agree when you trying to win a game/league and an NCAA birth last night was not the time.

IMO Bruess hit on Lapointe was a slew foot, maybe not the intent to injure like his knee on knee and cfb the night before, but, after those, I refuse to give him the benefit of the doubt. Yes, Lapointe went into the boards off balance, that's what happens when your slew footed, you fall over backwards. You seldom see it done where the player goes into the boards, for that reason it was a very dangerous play by Bruess.

Because of the long wait while Lapointe was taken off the ice. the Sioux coaches and players were given the opportunity to get their emotions under control. Winning the game was much more important than a Bruess beat down which most of us (and the Sioux) probably wanted to happen at the time.

As a result of the Bruess' attempts to injure, after he scored the go ahead goal, the Sioux did not want to get beat on a goal by "that guy" (Hak's post game comment). Sweet that the two guys Bruess attempted to injure on Friday night (Genoway and Gregoire), together put the game away with the GWG. That was a much better response than a Bruess beat down (if he keeps this kind of play up, he'll get his from someone/somewhere down the road).

For now, the Sioux can be happy they won the game, and kicked the purple cows down where they belong. Kudos to the Sioux for playing the game the way it was called. Jutting and the Mavs don't seem to be able to make that adjustment, to their detriment.

Random musings:

Those of you who wanted fisticuffs: No. Just no. Hak's right on this one. No fighting. Two points is worth more. More damage was done by not dropping the gloves but instead dropping two late behind Zacharias and being able to go to Altru to tell Derrick that they won coming from behind.

The Sioux showed they are the mentally strong team by not allowing purple cow "excrement" to turn them off their primary focus. (These "details" can be "cleaned up" later, like Finley says.)

I have reports that Irwin was seen in the tunnels outside the purple cow locker room after the game crying. Boo-hoo. And mentally weak. Trevor Bruess came looking for trouble this weekend. The "boarding" wasn't on Friday; it was CFD. He shouldn't have been on the ice Saturday. Yet, he was and he continued. He seems fixated because he got whupped by Rylan Kaip last year. Well, his fixation may have cost his team a series and its last shot at home ice. Mentally weak. Nice job Trevor.

One last thought: A fight would short this roster even more going to UAA. No.

Mentioning UAA ... UND has a pretty banged up team right now it seems. LaPoint is not available. Who knows on Jones and Hextall (Hak was unwilling to commit.)

Mr. Blood: you did a nice job tonight keeping it simple after being thrust into the "fifth D" role. Guess what. You may need to do that again. Keep it simple.

Mr. Fienhage: Reports are that you've been coming along nicely in practice. You may be thrust into a position to take it to prime time. Again, keep it simple.

Mr. Davidson: You're not that far from "the call" either. Are you ready?

The rest of you (coaches too):

I'm very proud. You could have let the purple cows distract you. You didn't. You actually upped your focus in the last ten minutes of the game and came out with what you needed.

You'll find out that you got more from last night than you realize even now. Remember that feeling of wanting to lash out but instead focusing on the most important. You'll need that clarity and mental strength again. And now you know ... You have it.

I had the Pleasure of sitting next to Bokal and Shepard on the flight to Minneapolis this morning and I asked about the hit on LaPoint. He said from his vantage point it was at least a cross check but since at the time he was out at Center Ice making that call with Thul down in the zone would be improper since he is responisble for action away from the puck. I got a dirty look from Shepard it was kinda funny, that someone dare bring up a missed call to a WCHA ref.

Will the "Rubber Stamp Crew" (all they do is rubber stamp whatever DU puts out for suspensions, right?) be reviewing ...

- Bruess' "boarding"

- Bruess' attempted knee-to-knee

- Irwin's post-game slash on Zajac

Wicked slash at end of game that could have set off melee ... I've heard that one ... Where was it ... I think I'll ask #7, Mullen, at DU if he's heard anything like that lately.

Will the "Rubber Stamp Crew" (all they do is rubber stamp whatever DU puts out for suspensions, right?) be reviewing ...

- Bruess' "boarding"

- Bruess' attempted knee-to-knee

- Irwin's post-game slash on Zajac

Wicked slash at end of game that could have set off melee ... I've heard that one ... Where was it ... I think I'll ask #7, Mullen, at DU if he's heard anything like that lately.

I would be willing to bet that call gets 3-5 games in the NHL. That kid is a gutless hack.

I had the Pleasure of sitting next to Bokal and Shepard on the flight to Minneapolis this morning and I asked about the hit on LaPoint. He said from his vantage point it was at least a cross check but since at the time he was out at Center Ice making that call with Thul down in the zone would be improper since he is responisble for action away from the puck. I got a dirty look from Shepard it was kinda funny, that someone dare bring up a missed call to a WCHA ref.

You should have asked Shepherd if he was going to suspend Irwin for his federal/slap shot move at the end of the game.