SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers are they out of control?

Riverman

I think Tony Lucia is UMN's version of Hextall/Prpich/Kaip. He doesn't really fight, but he certainly gets under the skin.

Schack, on the other hand, wants to impress any way he can. Think of it. With UMN's defensive corps not injured and not suspended, how much does Schack play? He doesn't. Doesn't make Schack any less cheap, but I think it does add a little rationalization.

First off Schack is a hack, I wonder if him not playing last night was quasi suspension from Lucia? Tony Lucia isn't the same version of Hextal/Prpich and or Kaip, the three mentioned Sioux players got even with you face to face and via the code. Lucia is a guttless puke in my opinion.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the goofs have not really won since they had a Nodak boy or two on the team - Maybe they could "manipulate the Rules" to get the Lammy Twins on the Mens team :0:):D :D :D

And you forgot that they tossed an Austrian poofter into that mix. Plain Minnesota Vanilla just doesn't seem to have the required spark.

Just thought that I would throw this out there:

Trevor Bruess - MSUM - 94 PIM

J.P. Testwuide - DU - 94 PIM

John Mitchell - UW - 93 PIM

Brett Hextall - UND - 69 PIM

Chris Van de Velde - UND - 65 PIM

Zach Harrison - MSUM - 64 PIM

Garrett Roe - SCSU - 62 PIM

Brad Malone - UND - 61 PIM

------------------------------------------ Sioux with 3 of the top 8

Drew Akins - UMD - 56 PIM (top one on Bulldogs)

Kevin Clark - UAA - 49 PIM (top one on Seawolves)

Drew Dobson/Alex McLeod - MTU - 48 PIM (top ones on Huskies)

Jay Barribal - UM - 46 PIM (top one of Gophers)

Brian Connelly - CC - 38 PIM (top one on Tigers)

Now this doesn't indicate the type of penalties, only that our halos are a little tarnished.

Now this doesn't indicate the type of penalties, only that our halos are a little tarnished.

But our high penalties nights are from playing the Gophers and Dumbver. It seems Hext got 12 minutes for laying on the ice and being jumped on from Ryan Stoa. It seems Vandevelde got 14 minutes for being speared and crosschecked by Testuide.

I'm not saying we're angels, but if you're on the ice when the other team starts gooning it up at the end of the game you're going to have some penalties whether you're angels or not.

How did they get these penalties, that's what's important. Plus those ten minutes they throw out there at the end of the game can be pretty misleading as well.

It felt like Stoa had more PIM than Barribal since he's had 2 CFB's and the altercation at UND. According to CollegeHockeyStats.net, he's the team leader in PIM with 64. For some reason, USCHO has his PIM listed as 0. Must be trying to help his Hobey Stats. :D

It felt like Stoa had more PIM than Barribal since he's had 2 CFB's and the altercation at UND. According to CollegeHockeyStats.net, he's the team leader in PIM with 64. For some reason, USCHO has his PIM listed as 0. Must be trying to help his Hobey Stats. :D

I guess Stoa's halo is tarnished.

Wow, those top three are running away with it. Hextall better pick it up if he wants to protect his "image" around the league. :D

Updated to correct some Gopher whitewashing??

Ryan Stoa - UMN - 64 PIM

------------------------------------------ Sioux with 3 of the top 9

Full Team perspective:

Team/Games/Penalty Minutes/Penalty Minutes Per Game

1 Minnesota 25 526 21.0

2 Minnesota State 29 597 20.6

3 Wisconsin 29 578 19.9

4 Alaska Anchorage 25 492 19.7

5 North Dakota 30 571 19.0

6 Denver 28 504 18.0

7 Minnesota Duluth 29 519 17.9

8 Colorado College 30 498 16.6

9 St. Cloud State 29 450 15.5

10 Michigan Tech 30 431 14.4

I guess that our halos aren't too bad, if we had some.

What has happened to the Kangaroo ? - I thought he was going to be Great last yr - now he is throwing tantrums & breaking his sticks (shaking my head) :D

If you had a highly hyped team in front of you with a top notch offense and all that but you got a spotty offense and absolutely NO team D in front of you, how long would you keep your cool?

Kangas isn't the problem in Minnesota. The D in front of him is.

I am knowingly going to exagerate but... I'd guess that of all the goals scored in the NHL or even DI, 80% of them are due to Team D just abandoning the goaltender and leaving him twisting in the wind. I'd add that 15% is just bad strategy (mismatches or an untimely mistake by a coach or player) or a defensive play that didn't work. 1% goes to just great plays by the offensive team. 3% left goes to poor play by the goaltender.

No scientific proof behind that. It's just my feeling on the matter.

If you had a highly hyped team in front of you with a top notch offense and all that but you got a spotty offense and absolutely NO team D in front of you, how long would you keep your cool?

Kangas isn't the problem in Minnesota. The D in front of him is.

I am knowingly going to exagerate but... I'd guess that of all the goals scored in the NHL or even DI, 80% of them are due to Team D just abandoning the goaltender and leaving him twisting in the wind. I'd add that 15% is just bad strategy (mismatches or an untimely mistake by a coach or player) or a defensive play that didn't work. 1% goes to just great plays by the offensive team. 3% left goes to poor play by the goaltender.

No scientific proof behind that. It's just my feeling on the matter.

The Minnesota defense is filed with over hyped road cones or pylons.

What has happened to the Kangaroo ? - I thought he was going to be Great last yr - now he is throwing tantrums & breaking his sticks (shaking my head) :D

He has to be looking at the situation with Frazzled in the AHL and wondering whether or not he wants to put up with the Lucia sideshow any longer.

He has to be looking at the situation with Frazzled in the AHL and wondering whether or not he wants to put up with the Lucia sideshow any longer.

Wheeler is doing quite well in the "Show" this year also, something nobody would have predicted based on his play at the UMN-TC. Something is wrong down there in regards to development. It is odd that a team starts off so well year after year, but tanks as the season goes on.

Something is wrong down there in regards to development. It is odd that a team starts off so well year after year, but tanks as the season goes on.

Long time coach Mike Guentzel leaves and Garth Snow made "off the wall comments".... Just doesn't seem to be all smiles and kittens in

Maroon and Gold land. :D

Long time coach Mike Guentzel leaves and Garth Snow made "off the wall comments".... Just doesn't seem to be all smiles and kittens in

Maroon and Gold land. :D

After the start they had, I thought this was their (UMTC) season for "no drama." They have had their share recently (Tyler Hirsch, Okposo, Frazee, Blarneys, EJohnson/Espn.com).

It seems that any kind of adversity for this team is overdramatized/exaggerated, which seems to get them off their game.

One team tends to come apart down the stretch, one team comes together.

Coaching, anyone???

After the start they had, I thought this was their (UMTC) season for "no drama." They have had their share recently (Tyler Hirsch, Okposo, Frazee, Blarneys, EJohnson/Espn.com).

It seems that any kind of adversity for this team is overdramatized/exaggerated, which seems to get them off their game.

One team tends to come apart down the stretch, one team comes together.

Coaching, anyone???

I will take Hakstol over Lucia any day.

I don't know about any of this.

If development is an issue at UMN, it is in defense. I just don't see offense as a problem with Lucia's system.

It's like the Gophers are the opposite of the Wild. All the Gophers care about is offense and defense be damned. All the Wild care about is defense and offense be damned.

Heck, even my Red Wings have a bit of that problem this season.

I don't know about any of this.

If development is an issue at UMN, it is in defense. I just don't see offense as a problem with Lucia's system.

It's like the Gophers are the opposite of the Wild. All the Gophers care about is offense and defense be damned. All the Wild care about is defense and offense be damned.

Heck, even my Red Wings have a bit of that problem this season.

It's not a development/tactics issue, it's a focus/grit/attitude issue.

It seems they never have all their oars rowing together when it counts.

Given: 1) They had pretty good jump this weekend. 2) They're coming into the soft part of their schedule. 3) Lucia has won two national titles there ... I think the whole sinking ship and poor coaching thing is somewhere between premature and off the mark.