SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers are they out of control?

Riverman

You goons can't skate...get a regular shift!! Hey the Golden Boyz are #1!! Congrats...

Team PIM/G

Minnesota 24.6

Wisconsin 22.2

Minnesota State 21.1

North Dakota 20.7

Denver 19.8

Minnesota Duluth 19.8

Alaska Anchorage 19.4

Colorado College 16.6

St. Cloud State 15.8

Michigan Tech 14.8

Explain to me how a team like Michigan Tech has the fewest penalty minutes per game. Hakstol was adamant that they just quit calling penalties on Tech in their series at Houghton. This to me shows that they do not enforce the obstruction penalties like they should, because Michigan Tech is the master of obstruction.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Explain to me how a team like Michigan Tech has the fewest penalty minutes per game. Hakstol was adamant that they just calling penalties on Tech in their series at Houghton. This to me shows that they do not enforce the obstruction penalties like they should, because Michigan Tech is the master of obstruction.

Yep, can't argue with that logic.

I don't find it surprising that the elite teams are also the higher penalized teams. After all, everyone gets pumped up to play a Minnesota or, dare I say, North Dakota.

That winds up with many teams considering us their #1 rival (I think Mankato State considers that, while we don't reciprocate the respect). During these high emotion games stuff happens. And despite what the teacher said, it only takes one to create a fight.

But what's happening with the Minnesota team is unprecedented. They've definitely got major problems this year and blaming the other teams makes Donna look like a fool.

I don't find it surprising that the elite teams are also the higher penalized teams. After all, everyone gets pumped up to play a Minnesota or, dare I say, North Dakota.

That winds up with many teams considering us their #1 rival (I think Mankato State considers that, while we don't reciprocate the respect). During these high emotion games stuff happens. And despite what the teacher said, it only takes one to create a fight.

But what's happening with the Minnesota team is unprecedented. They've definitely got major problems this year and blaming the other teams makes Donna look like a fool.

What?

The goofers are out of control. They lack some discipline on the ice and I think little Lucia is out of control. That guy has thrown more cheap shots this year. I think Lucia is a good coach but he needs to get a handle on things. Quite blaming other teams, and drinking for the problems that they are having on the ice.

Elite teams are usually ahead of their competition and WCHA officials feel the need to call more penalties on the team that's winning (5 in row on us v. Denver as an example).

Elite teams are usually ahead of their competition and WCHA officials feel the need to call more penalties on the team that's winning (5 in row on us v. Denver as an example).

Yeah but the WCHA was told they couldn't do situational officiating and they still are.

Weren't the 4 previous penalties against Denver? I guess if UND gets the calls its ok, if they go against UND its the black helicopters?

Weren't the 4 previous penalties against Denver? I guess if UND gets the calls its ok, if they go against UND its the black helicopters?

The point was after the flip out and the march across the ice the refs failed to call any calls against DU. IF the refs are reffing the way it is supposed to be called there isn't supposed to be this logic that both teams will get equal numbers of calls. That is Bravo Sierra.

The point was after the flip out and the march across the ice the refs failed to call any calls against DU. IF the refs are reffing the way it is supposed to be called there isn't supposed to be this logic that both teams will get equal numbers of calls. That is Bravo Sierra.

Got it. I am not a fan of reffing the "situation" either. I think expecting an even number of calls sets you up for just that too. If its a penalty call it, I dont care if its 5-1, 1-1 or the calls are 8-1 in favor of the home team. Just call the book. Obviously officiating isn't easy, is there a conference that is known for having good officials? I have watched more CCHA games with my new location this year. I think the CCHA is more consistent all across the board IMHO.

Got it. I am not a fan of reffing the "situation" either. I think expecting an even number of calls sets you up for just that too. If its a penalty call it, I dont care if its 5-1, 1-1 or the calls are 8-1 in favor of the home team. Just call the book. Obviously officiating isn't easy, is there a conference that is known for having good officials? I have watched more CCHA games with my new location this year. I think the CCHA is more consistent all across the board IMHO.

Damn I feel dirty a Gopher fan and I agree. I better go back to the shower again. :lol:

SOme Gopher fans can be true hockey fans like us...old time hockey...Braden : )

Anyway, MN is having a once a decade stretch of bad hockey. tDon is a good coach, the program is elite. If I'm a big time recruit ala Parise, Toews, Kessel, etc MN is definitely on my list. No team I enjoy beating more, but I won't pile on them. The rivalry is great, because BOTH programs are great. How many WCHA programs do you think Hockey East and CCHA coaches have on their radars from the drop of the puck in October?

MN will be just fine. There will be many more big games that end with Chris Porter on a wraparound or Blake Wheeler chipping the puck

SOme Gopher fans can be true hockey fans like us...old time hockey...Braden : )

Anyway, MN is having a once a decade stretch of bad hockey. tDon is a good coach, the program is elite. If I'm a big time recruit ala Parise, Toews, Kessel, etc MN is definitely on my list. No team I enjoy beating more, but I won't pile on them. The rivalry is great, because BOTH programs are great. How many WCHA programs do you think Hockey East and CCHA coaches have on their radars from the drop of the puck in October?

MN will be just fine. There will be many more big games that end with Chris Porter on a wraparound or Blake Wheeler chipping the puck

I wouldn't feel too sorry for them, at this point they are in better position to make the NCAA tournament than we are.

Can you imagine the outcry if the Sioux put a guy as big as Grant Scott out on the ice for the first time after a fiasco like the night before? Let's see, he obviously wasn't good enough to be out there, but you put him out there nonetheless, then send him to junior hockey. All I am saying, is give peace a chance.

Can you imagine the outcry if the Sioux put a guy as big as Grant Scott out on the ice for the first time after a fiasco like the night before? Let's see, he obviously wasn't good enough to be out there, but you put him out there nonetheless, then send him to junior hockey. All I am saying, is give peace a chance.

There would be this public outcry from the Goofs fans. How dare they do this.

lucia doesnt have any players that can fight straight up so that leads to unfortunate situations like schack going over board thinking at the time he was doing the right thing. he even said it before a game he may have to recruit players that cant stand up for teammates if need be as its very obvious the gophers dont right now. i have no problem with the gophers and how they play. just be ready to get whooped up if you wana fight straight up like jones wanted to do going back to the gopher series when lucia turned his back. like many gophers fans said he would have been beter off getting whooped up by jones then skating away. thats the issue. boe had it coming but not like that and its sad to see hes out for the year. schack should have drug him out of the pile and went toe to toe with him the right way...just how i see it

GO SIOUX

go badgers and go dawgzzzz and go techies this weekend :lol:

Or, you could look at it with actual facts. 2 d-men are hurt and suspended, 2 forwards out with injuries, one forward moved back to d and another..Scott, aka the terminator, played when they would rather he didn't. Most people are against the level to which Schack went. To ignore fact to further a tired argument, exposes an agenda. To some. But that's through colored classes I guess.

I don't know about all this.

I recognize fighting as a part of hockey, but I despise those who cannot do anything more than fight (duh! Look at my thoughts on Boogaard).

On the other hand, I don't see why it's a bad thing to manipulate the rules like Minnesota does.

Yeah, Tony Lucia comes out looking like a wuss, but he manipulates the rules to his advantage. Minnesota hasn't had this kind of instigator figure since DeMarchi. Taylor tried but wussed out. He left after his freshman year to become an AHL lifer (Hey Jake, you too can see the NHL... just be like everyone else and either buy season tickets or NHL Center Ice).

I think Tony Lucia is UMN's version of Hextall/Prpich/Kaip. He doesn't really fight, but he certainly gets under the skin.

Schack, on the other hand, wants to impress any way he can. Think of it. With UMN's defensive corps not injured and not suspended, how much does Schack play? He doesn't. Since the Gophers have always been accused of being soft where it comes to sticking up for players and Lucia is correct in that the officiating crews the league has are woefully incompetent, Schack is just trying to fight for scholarship money, if not a place on the team. Otherwise, he could just be another on for a year and then gone... like last year, IIRC, UND had a player for a little bit whose job was to occupy a roster slot for a season or part of one. SCSU had a goaltender for an entire year who I don't think ever even took a warm up before a game.

That's how I see it.

Doesn't make Schack any less cheap, but I think it does add a little rationalization.

I don't know about all this.

I recognize fighting as a part of hockey, but I despise those who cannot do anything more than fight (duh! Look at my thoughts on Boogaard).

On the other hand, I don't see why it's a bad thing to manipulate the rules like Minnesota does.

Yeah, Tony Lucia comes out looking like a wuss, but he manipulates the rules to his advantage. Minnesota hasn't had this kind of instigator figure since DeMarchi. Taylor tried but wussed out. He left after his freshman year to become an AHL lifer (Hey Jake, you too can see the NHL... just be like everyone else and either buy season tickets or NHL Center Ice).

I think Tony Lucia is UMN's version of Hextall/Prpich/Kaip. He doesn't really fight, but he certainly gets under the skin.

Schack, on the other hand, wants to impress any way he can. Think of it. With UMN's defensive corps not injured and not suspended, how much does Schack play? He doesn't. Since the Gophers have always been accused of being soft where it comes to sticking up for players and Lucia is correct in that the officiating crews the league has are woefully incompetent, Schack is just trying to fight for scholarship money, if not a place on the team. Otherwise, he could just be another on for a year and then gone... like last year, IIRC, UND had a player for a little bit whose job was to occupy a roster slot for a season or part of one. SCSU had a goaltender for an entire year who I don't think ever even took a warm up before a game.

That's how I see it.

Doesn't make Schack any less cheap, but I think it does add a little rationalization.

i hear ya on lucia but the difference is kaip and prpich cleaned a couple clocks in their days and ill guarentee hextall has a couple as well. right or wrong in peoples eyes they did it the right way

i love the demarchi reference. thats my bemidji boy :D hell demarchi used to cleat me when i was 13 playing first base in babe ruth league when he would run to first base and we were cool :D bastard :D