SiouxSports.com Forum

Time for the Fire Hakstol thread

Goon

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In any case, I wonder about Hextall. Coming into this year, I thought he'd be a Kaip or Prpich type player. He's played well offensively, but he doesn't play as gritty as I thought he would.

You wonder about one of our most consistent forwards? He definitely plays with an edge...but not to the level of a Kaip or a Prpich. But he is already showing way more offensive upside as a freshmen than those two did.

I'm not worried about him at all.

You could definitely call benching Kozek and Trupp a very gutsy move on Hak's behalf. I couldn't believe you take those two guys out of the lineup after last night. I can see where you'd put Trupp up in the press box, but at least Kozek had some chances last night and put himself in some positions to be successful.

Either way, Hak got the performance that he wanted tonight and the Sioux get a much needed win. It seems like every time I get down on Hak when he does something questionable the team comes through in the clutch. I'll quit doubting him, and let him lead the team to another frozen four.

I no as well as most people no that the only reason mussman is the head coach is cuz tDale left during the middle of the offseason and we needed a replacement quick... I heard, i repeat, i heard that the head coaching job will be put up for grabs after the season.... who knows though?

You wonder about one of our most consistent forwards? He definitely plays with an edge...but not to the level of a Kaip or a Prpich. But he is already showing way more offensive upside as a freshmen than those two did.

I am not wondering about him offensively at all. I was under the impression that he was a lot like Prpich or Kaip. Sure, he's got an edge to him, but he's not getting under the skin of the opposition. However, he did take an incredibly stupid penalty tonight.

The win last night nonwithstanding, there are some issues with Hak's teams that are frustrating. I'm not saying he should be fired, but ask yourself this - how long are you willing to wait to hang a banner. Boston College, Minnesota, and Denver have won 2 and Wisconsin 1 since we last won one. I for one am getting restless.

Areas that need addressing: (most of these are the same as other posters - there seems to be some common themes here)

- Intensity - how we can look so flat and unprepared for frozen 4 games is beyond me - We flounder for more games under Hakstol than we have since Gino took over. We need to make playing in the Ralph a thing to be feared - we don't putout a good product at home.

- Our annual crappy starts - Much has been said - Why does it take us longer to get our crap together than almost everyone else in the hockey playing world?

- Our offensive scheme - I hate this constant cycling too. someone else said here is the place where scorers come to die. Good God. Look at our stats and compare them to how our recruits did before they got here. Frattin scored for the first time in 14 games and Malone for the first time in 33 games - good crap - those are some dry spells. In the past we have had some high end studs (with whom we should have won a couple of titles) carry us. Now we don't. Very few scorers come to UND and play over their projections. We have some people who just never score - we can't afford to have that this year.

- At times our power plays are not just unproductive, they look pathetic. This is coaching.

- Does anyone else here wish we would start hitting people again. Getting bullied in a game isn't Sioux hockey.

Here we sit again after another weekend trying to find positives out of a split. It's time for us to play Sioux Hockey every game. 4 - 6 just won't cut it at UND.

I am not wondering about him offensively at all. I was under the impression that he was a lot like Prpich or Kaip. Sure, he's got an edge to him, but he's not getting under the skin of the opposition. However, he did take an incredibly stupid penalty tonight.

It doesn't seem that Kaip and Prp began their careers in the antagonizer role. But do you want one of your most consistent Freshman scorers to concentrate on scoring or .....

I have to agree that I don't like our set offense. The cycling seems to amount to a lot of time in the corners and NOT in front of the net.

Last year they had tweaked it a bit and it seemed to get the puck up front more. This year it seems we're struggling to keep the puck and don't get a chance to create a scoring play.

Couple of observations:

Hextall does not need to be a Prpich or Kaip--I think he is already playing at a level that will contribute more to winning than either of them often did, particularly early in their career. Sure, he is supposed to have a natural edge, but he has proven to have scoring instincts too, and I'd rather someone else take the bonehead penalties.

We are getting pushed around in the Dzone along the boards and behind our own net, not winning many battles for the puck. I like LaPointe a lot, but he needs to step it up with the body. His offensive skills are not good enough to make up for being soft in the Dzone.

Z Jones may not be blessed with elite talent, but I sure wish everybody on this team played with his sense of urgency.

Toews will be good, but he is not close to being where Gregoire is now.

Miller has really contributed on the blueline in Finley's absence, but he sure gets a lot of shots blocked. I also appreciate Bina's ability to get a shot through to the net now that he is gone.

Too many attempts to dipsy-doodle around the dman last night. That hardly ever works in this league (Oshies and Toews notwithstanding), and there were a few times when it resulted in rushes in the opposite direction.

Hak is good. This team will get there, I think. Minny, though, will definitely be a force this year.

Eidsness may not have JPL's glove, but his positioning is sure good. He's one of those goalies Bill Howard would have liked at UW.

I usually don't know what I'm talking about.

- Our offensive scheme - I hate this constant cycling too. someone else said here is the place where scorers come to die. Good God. Look at our stats and compare them to how our recruits did before they got here. Frattin scored for the first time in 14 games and Malone for the first time in 33 games - good crap - those are some dry spells. In the past we have had some high end studs (with whom we should have won a couple of titles) carry us. Now we don't. Very few scorers come to UND and play over their projections. We have some people who just never score - we can't afford to have that this year.

- At times our power plays are not just unproductive, they look pathetic. This is coaching.

- Does anyone else here wish we would start hitting people again. Getting bullied in a game isn't Sioux hockey.

Here we sit again after another weekend trying to find positives out of a split. It's time for us to play Sioux Hockey every game. 4 - 6 just won't cut it at UND.

You make some good points, but I have a few comments. Every college team is filled with former scoring stars, most of whom go on to score very little in college. If all the goal per game guys in junior continued that pace in college, the college game scores would be 19-18. The real measure of the offense is how it compares to other college teams, and I believe the Sioux offense is consistently near the top of the league, and usually ranked pretty well nationally. No doubt it's nowhere near there so far this year, but check back at the end.

UND's PP has actually looked like a PP since Eades took it over. I loved the Blais teams too (how could you not), but the PP was terrible then. I wanted to decline penalties because UND never scored, and the two-minute break just robbed the team of the great 5-on-5 momentum.

We are getting pushed around in the Dzone along the boards and behind our own net, not winning many battles for the puck. I like LaPointe a lot, but he needs to step it up with the body. His offensive skills are not good enough to make up for being soft in the Dzone.

I thought this last year, too, but UND matches up poorly with UAA. They are big up front and can skate, but they aren't very creative or fancy offensively. They play a simple game, win the race or wrestling match for the puck and try to get it to the net. With Greene, Jones, Smaby and Schneider, I like our chances against that type of team. Less with Marto, Genoway and LaPoint (and Miller).

With the bruisers a few years ago, the Sioux were perhaps short on blueline skill. Now they're short on muscle, especially with Finley out. Next year, Blood, Fienhage and McWilliam should get regular shifts, and the balance should be better. Then it will be up to Genoway, Marto, LaPoint and Gleason to be effective offensively.

I thought this last year, too, but UND matches up poorly with UAA. They are big up front and can skate, but they aren't very creative or fancy offensively. They play a simple game, win the race or wrestling match for the puck and try to get it to the net. With Greene, Jones, Smaby and Schneider, I like our chances against that type of team. Less with Marto, Genoway and LaPoint (and Miller).

With the bruisers a few years ago, the Sioux were perhaps short on blueline skill. Now they're short on muscle, especially with Finley out. Next year, Blood, Fienhage and McWilliam should get regular shifts, and the balance should be better. Then it will be up to Genoway, Marto, LaPoint and Gleason to be effective offensively.

Wow - talk about declining expectations - doesn't anyone else think it's strange and a little sad that we are talking about not matching up with "Alaska Anchorage" when they come to play at our house. We sound like the fans of a 4-6 team.

The question isn't weather Hak is a good coach - he is. The question is rather is he a great coach - the jury's still out.

how about Hak just getting everyone on the team to shoot the G$$ Damn puck, I saw last night numerous opportunities to shoot the puck and the guys tried to skate in closer or passed it off instead of taking the shot. When is a shot a bad bad shot? just throw the puck at the net and good things can happen.

You make some good points, but I have a few comments. Every college team is filled with former scoring stars, most of whom go on to score very little in college. If all the goal per game guys in junior continued that pace in college, the college game scores would be 19-18. The real measure of the offense is how it compares to other college teams, and I believe the Sioux offense is consistently near the top of the league, and usually ranked pretty well nationally. No doubt it's nowhere near there so far this year, but check back at the end.

UND's PP has actually looked like a PP since Eades took it over. I loved the Blais teams too (how could you not), but the PP was terrible then. I wanted to decline penalties because UND never scored, and the two-minute break just robbed the team of the great 5-on-5 momentum.

Heh...

I remember when we'd look better offensively when we were down a player!

As for my comment about Hextall:

Look, Hextall or not, we need an agitator. I thought that would be Hextall. Sure, he plays with an edge. So does Jones. However, I don't see either of them getting under the skins of the opposition. We need at least one player that has opposing players, coaches, and fans, complaining about how irritating he is, and not in an offensive output manner.

I love balance. Right now, we're too much on the skill side and too little on the grit. That's my take anyways.

I don't know, I watched Hextall pop one of the UAA players in the mouth after the play down in the Seawolf end during the third period. I just love the fire he plays with. Talent wise I think he is a more complete player than Kaip and has the fire of Prpich. I think that he has the ability to be a big time player.

The UAA players were pretty focused on Brett he might have taken a few off their games on Saturday night. I like the way Brad

Couple of observations:

Hextall does not need to be a Prpich or Kaip--I think he is already playing at a level that will contribute more to winning than either of them often did, particularly early in their career. Sure, he is supposed to have a natural edge, but he has proven to have scoring instincts too, and I'd rather someone else take the bonehead penalties.

Z Jones may not be blessed with elite talent, but I sure wish everybody on this team played with his sense of urgency.

Toews will be good, but he is not close to being where Gregoire is now.

Miller has really contributed on the blueline in Finley's absence, but he sure gets a lot of shots blocked. I also appreciate Bina's ability to get a shot through to the net now that he is gone.

Too many attempts to dipsy-doodle around the dman last night. That hardly ever works in this league (Oshies and Toews notwithstanding), and there were a few times when it resulted in rushes in the opposite direction.

Hak is good. This team will get there, I think. Minny, though, will definitely be a force this year.

Eidsness may not have JPL's glove, but his positioning is sure good. He's one of those goalies Bill Howard would have liked at UW.

I usually don't know what I'm talking about.

That is the only point I really don't agree with I think Toews is just about there but was slowed by an injury.

I think he is going to break out after X-mas. Just a hunch. I agree on Eidsness.

They pamper the boys too much with the new building. Move back to the old Ralph! :sad:

we decided in our row at the game that the Cornell series should be outside at city rink to be determined. :)

We are getting too soft with our nice arena.

we decided in our row at the game that the Cornell series should be outside at city rink to be determined. :sad:

We are getting too soft with our nice arena.

If it's going to be televised my season tickets would be up for sale. Yikes I've stood outside for enough outdoor practices!

I'll do it for my kid, but..............