SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

shoot me now. i'd rather ANYONE else from the west goes to the cup finals than the red wings. get some new blood in there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Wings fan, but they have all the weapons. When they let their horses run - such as down 1 late in the game - and really put the pressure on an opponent, it is amazing to watch.

They do have the weapons.... but do they have BALANCE?

During the regular season, Detroit was the anti-Minnesota: Offense first, D and G last. To a certain extent, they still are.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure if Columbus is making Osgood look good or is Osgood finally extracting his mask from the back of his breezers.

I still am not convinced that the Wings will win it all this year. I think they drew the best first round opponent after Boston (seriously, it's just like Colorado last season IIRC. Montreal, like last year's Avs, have no business in the playoffs... but they still beat Minnesota... maybe I'm thinking of two years ago? Oh well).

I think their chances have improved drastically to make it to the finals though.

They do have the weapons.... but do they have BALANCE?

During the regular season, Detroit was the anti-Minnesota: Offense first, D and G last. To a certain extent, they still are.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure if Columbus is making Osgood look good or is Osgood finally extracting his mask from the back of his breezers.

I still am not convinced that the Wings will win it all this year. I think they drew the best first round opponent after Boston (seriously, it's just like Colorado last season IIRC. Montreal, like last year's Avs, have no business in the playoffs... but they still beat Minnesota... maybe I'm thinking of two years ago? Oh well).

I think their chances have improved drastically to make it to the finals though.

Here I thought you'd be trash talking. LOL.

I just think the Wings play up to the situation. The more important the game, the better they play. Its like they coasted at times in the regular season (and maybe in a game at Columbus). When they really need offense, they do it as well as anyone. When they need to lock it down, they lock it down.

I don't see anyone out West beating the Wings. There's a couple out East that might be tougher matchups ...

Meanwhile, I'm also enjoying the Blackhawks - Flames. 3-2 after two. Toews with the first goal to get the crowd going, then the 3rd goal with a pure hustle play. His play so far this series has been a great example of how unstoppable talent can be when it works harder than everyone else.

The Hawks really draw energy from their home fans; I don't like their chances much in Calgary. But if they can hold serve at home, maybe make it to the next round.

Here I thought you'd be trash talking. LOL.

I just think the Wings play up to the situation. The more important the game, the better they play. Its like they coasted at times in the regular season (and maybe in a game at Columbus). When they really need offense, they do it as well as anyone. When they need to lock it down, they lock it down.

I don't see anyone out West beating the Wings. There's a couple out East that might be tougher matchups ...

Maybe they do, but so many times this year, before Osgood got injured and after, the Wings were doing just fine and suddenly Osgood would sieve out hardcore.

At the beginning of the season the NHL Network ninnies were all abuzz about how poorly Turco was playing. Enough so that the term "Turco'd" started to mean something. Soon, though, Turco was surplanted in the realm of piss poor stats by Osgood. Even the Islanders were getting better goaltending that Detroit...and DiPietro was injured at the time.

Osgood has his name on the Stanley Cup 3 times. Looking at how he has played this year overall, Detroit or otherwise, would you have a lot of faith in the guy? Would he even be still on the team? Legace was cut this year. Osgood's history and partially his salary was what saved him in Detroit this year.

Heh... I watched a few Maple Leaf games and noticed CuJo win a few games and make some great saves thinking "This 42 year old is playing better than Osgood." And that's something. CuJo with the Wings is analogous to Theodore with the Caps.

Maybe they do, but so many times this year, before Osgood got injured and after, the Wings were doing just fine and suddenly Osgood would sieve out hardcore.

At the beginning of the season the NHL Network ninnies were all abuzz about how poorly Turco was playing. Enough so that the term "Turco'd" started to mean something. Soon, though, Turco was surplanted in the realm of piss poor stats by Osgood. Even the Islanders were getting better goaltending that Detroit...and DiPietro was injured at the time.

Osgood has his name on the Stanley Cup 3 times. Looking at how he has played this year overall, Detroit or otherwise, would you have a lot of faith in the guy? Would he even be still on the team? Legace was cut this year. Osgood's history and partially his salary was what saved him in Detroit this year.

Heh... I watched a few Maple Leaf games and noticed CuJo win a few games and make some great saves thinking "This 42 year old is playing better than Osgood." And that's something. CuJo with the Wings is analogous to Theodore with the Caps.

That's the million dollar question - which Osgood shows up? The guy with 3 rings or the guy from last December or January ...

The Southeast Prairie Thunder with Sioux Alum Skaperud, Fuher and Palmiscno lost a heartbreader in the Allan Cup final to Bentley 4-3 in 2OT. Tim Skarperud had one of the Thunder goals and Fuher assited on another. I know Jay Panzer was also playing for them this season but I don't think he played in the final.

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=275586

The Southeast Prairie Thunder with Sioux Alum Skaperud, Fuher and Palmiscno lost a heartbreader in the Allan Cup final to Bentley 4-3 in 2OT. Tim Skarperud had one of the Thunder goals and Fuher assited on another. I know Jay Panzer was also playing for them this season but I don't think he played in the final.

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=275586

What the heck league is that??

STEINBACH, Man. -- Diarmuid Kelly scored the double overtime winner as the Bentley Generals defeated the South East Prairie Thunder 4-3 to win the Allan Cup on Saturday.

Ryan Manitowich scored twice for the Generals and Kent Beagle sent the game to overtime with a shorthanded goal at 8:03 in the third period.

Tim Skarperud, Matt Ulwelling and Ryan Smith scored for the Thunder.

Generals goaltender Cody Rudkowsky made 42 saves for the win while at the other end Brent Zelenewich stopped 56 shots.

Matt Ulwelling is a former MTU player and WCHA lines man.